SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just did the valves in my 510 and something happened that was truly weird. for starter, the intakes were perfect. but on the exhaust side, the left was loose and the right is tight. right was so tight, i can't get the tappet to move. any ideas?

also, is it common for one side to be tight and one side loose? the shim on the left was 230, right side, not sure.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
never mind, just figured it out, i'm an idiot.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, tell use what you figured out.
when i was taking the cover off, i pulled the hot start cable off to the side to help get the valve cover off. i forget to put it back in its proper place. my guess is would make the valve measure tight and keep pressure on it. newbie mistake. :rolleyes:

so right now i'm assuming i'm at 15 on the left exhaust and 20 on the right side. both intakes were at 15.

·
Registered
40 Posts
R6Tony, don't sweat the mistake. Of course everyone with a smart ass reply has NEVER made a mistake doing their own wrenching . . .

Besides the part you figured out on the difference between the two exhaust valves, the exaust side being out of spec more often is typical. The exhaust side lives in a much more severe environment - valve gets much hotter so many times they go sooner.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
R6Tony, don't sweat the mistake. Of course everyone with a smart ass reply has NEVER made a mistake doing their own wrenching . . .

Besides the part you figured out on the difference between the two exhaust valves, the exhaust side being out of spec more often is typical. The exhaust side lives in a much more severe environment - valve gets much hotter so many times they go sooner.
it's funny (being a sportbike guy), the only bike i ever had that i checked the valves on were my old fzr400 (in avatar). they were notorious for sucking in intakes. they also didn't have a hot start lever either. :D

i do think it's funny, i hit the send button and when it posted up, i remembered that i never put the hot start cable in its guide.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts