SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Used the search and dint find anything.

When you guys go out on the supermoto's how do you guys go about jumping and getting air?

When i go out and hit a jump i usually end up landing on the front wheel and its really gay lol. Im pretty shure im not giving it enough throttle or just not going fast enough.

What do you guys do? How is your body positioning??? I would assume your standing on the pegs most of the time, and when your about to hit the jump do you guys "pre load" or bounce the suspension?

Any help would be awesome!

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Used the search and dint find anything.

When you guys go out on the supermoto's how do you guys go about jumping and getting air?

When i go out and hit a jump i usually end up landing on the front wheel and its really gay lol. Im pretty shure im not giving it enough throttle or just not going fast enough.

What do you guys do? How is your body positioning??? I would assume your standing on the pegs most of the time, and when your about to hit the jump do you guys "pre load" or bounce the suspension?

Any help would be awesome!

Thanks!

Get out to the MX track and watch some of the guys, and then practice practice.:thumbup:

·
Registered
295 Posts
sounds like you might be chopping the throttle? try and keep it even or accelerating a bit, that will help keep the front end up. if that doesnt change anything than delve a little deep, i'm still working on it myself so i am not much more help than that tidbit

·
Registered
252 Posts
It does sound like you may be getting out of the throttle too soon. Try to keep your throttle constant until you leave the face of the jump. Once you are in the air, you can control your attitude by clutching and hitting the rear brake (which will bring your nose down) or giving it more gas to bring the nose up.

Go to the track like we did:

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?t=53865&highlight=lakeside

start small and work your way up. Good luck.

·
Registered
9,673 Posts
I totally agree with the other guys.....go to an MX track and practice...I used to have the same problem until I realized I was slowing down on the face of the jump rather than keeping a constant throttle.....the other great learning curve is coming up to a jump w/o enough speed and learning to gas it a bit with some bounce to clear the gap...I am far from an expert but have taken MX classes and found them to be very beneficial...someone else suggested going and watching the intermediates....:thumbup:

·
Registered
233 Posts
sounds like you need to get your ass off the seat. . .if you're on the seat when you leave the face of the jump you'll usually land with the front tire first, unless you "seat bounce" it, but that will be chapter two my friend.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
if you dont ride mx bikes much ide say the best thing to do for learning jumps is to just practice riding standing up more. get comfortable in the standing attach position before you go hitting big jumps.

then just like everyone said its all throttle control man...dont chop the throttle and you wont nosedive. maybe go in the your shock rebound a couple clicks

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
find the speed needed to clear the jump. (comming up short hurts more than going a bit long.) when you are rolling up the jump hold that throttle at the same spot...dont try to gun it off the jump...roll over it like its not there and KEEP ON THE THROTTLE IN THE AIR...if you let it go the front dropps. (chopping the throttle)

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE....when you feel more comforatable in small jumps use the throttle to reposition the bike for a smooth landing...if the nose dips too far...hit the gas HARD.(commonly refered to as a panic rev) the spinning rear tires accelleration will bring the ft of the bike up...if the ft is too far up...chop the throttle and maybe add a touch of rear brake...the loss of rear tire rotation will bring the ft tire down. (watch you dont kill the motor when you tap that rear brake)

did i mention practice...find a small jump and hit it a million times...when you are comforatable with one...the others are not as intimidating.

good luck..be SAFE..wear good gear.

SDMOTARD

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^ Nice!

Thanks everyone for the replies they're really helpful. I'm going to take everyone's advice that was posted!

Thanks!!

·
Registered
516 Posts
jumping is evil...... the faster and higher you go, the easier it is...........

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
If your hitting tiny little jumps (kickers) thats what they do, hence the name. They require some more skill than a nice bike and a half take off. Steady throttle on a kicker won't cut it, ya'll need a bit more. I hate kickers! So when they say start small, be careful not to start too small.

·
Registered
689 Posts
If your hitting tiny little jumps (kickers) thats what they do, hence the name. They require some more skill than a nice bike and a half take off. Steady throttle on a kicker won't cut it, ya'll need a bit more. I hate kickers! So when they say start small, be careful not to start too small.
I found that out at Stateline two years ago at Gary's school. There was a section with a small triple, more like whoops than jumps and I kept clipping the last one with my front wheel (scary). Cassidy Anderson pulled me over and told me to give it a handful of juice going up the face of the jump/kicker and the front would stay up. Sure enough after that I was able to clear it and land rear wheel first.

Also at Stateline I came up short on the table top with the stepdown and landed flat on the stepdown... that was not fun. Was cool having Mickey Diamond teaching us how to do properly though.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
question; if you stop the front wheel while in the air, will that affect the rear wheel when you gas or brake to pivot the bike? Like some sort of gyro effect?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Dont stop front wheel in the air. Bad idea! It will do nothing good for you. All bike movement in the air is controlled by rear wheel. Like everyone said, gas on brings front up, pull clutch and hitting back brake brings front down.

As for hitting jumps and landing on front wheel, smooth to hard throttle off the face until you are completely in the air will prevent this. Most jumps if built correctly will not take any compressing of the suspension to clear the jump. It is all in how fast you need to hit the face of the jump to clear it. If you stand nutral on the bike the suspension will compress by itself and make you fly straight. It takes so much less energy and makes clearing the jump much smoother. With the right speed and applied throttle when leaving the face of the jump the easier it is to sail over it.
question; if you stop the front wheel while in the air, will that affect the rear wheel when you gas or brake to pivot the bike? Like some sort of gyro effect?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
nice pic and solid advice regarding smoothness. sometimes you just gotta pin it up the face and try to relax.

the guys on the ground look like firefighters trying to puzzle out how to get Fluffy out of the tree though...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When your on pavement and after you get airborn with a handfull of throttle, Is it hard on the transmission and chain? I let off somtimes on the pavement because im afraif of snapping the chain.

I seem to have everything els down perfect from backing it in and dragging knee on the sMR. Just have problems with jumping and landing. I plan to take my time on this one lol.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts