SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Mullet Lord
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a question for you guys, or maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

I recently picked up an '08 450SXF and I need to jet it. I was about to order a JD kit for it yesterday, but was going through some of my KTM spares in the garage and came across a new JD kit that my buddy ordered but never installed in his 450 (RFS). Rather than buying another kit and letting this one continue to sit in my garage, I'm trying to figure out how the instructions/guidelines differed between kits for the RFS and RF4 bikes. Ideally, I'd like to just use the jets and needle from this kit on my new bike. I know that I need to use the blue needle, but not sure which clip, I'm guessing he says to stick with the stock 42 pilot, and I'm not sure which main jet he recommends.

I am in central FL at sea level and the air temps when I'm riding are anywhere between 60-90 degrees, but I just want to establish a good baseline to work off of without pulling my carb ten times (complete pain in the ass on RF4 bikes).

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I hate to bother James Dean with this, because I know that the cost of his product is primarily the R&D that went into it, but at the same time I hate to buy the same kit again with a different part number just to get a piece of paper with instructions.

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
600 Posts
As far as the "clip" position goes, start in the middle, and see how it goes. Then up or down depending on what is needed. Clip position depends on a lot of factors, and sometimes you just have to try and see.
Jeff

·
Registered
431 Posts
I would talk to JD about it. He doesn't always respond instantly but he is a very helpful guy.

I would bet that you would end up with a better running bike with the kit that JD designed for your bike rather than using the old one. Put the old one on ebay - you will probably get $40 for it and then order up a new one. Then you will know it's right.

·
Mullet Lord
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would talk to JD about it. He doesn't always respond instantly but he is a very helpful guy.

I would bet that you would end up with a better running bike with the kit that JD designed for your bike rather than using the old one. Put the old one on ebay - you will probably get $40 for it and then order up a new one. Then you will know it's right.
It's the same carb and almost the exact same application. Therefore, it should be the same kit. I don't want to throw away $35 plus shipping, in addition to the time involved in selling my kit, waiting for a new kit, etc., to get the same kit with a different label and instruction sheet.

·
Registered
431 Posts
It's the same carb and almost the exact same application. Therefore, it should be the same kit. I don't want to throw away $35 plus shipping, in addition to the time involved in selling my kit, waiting for a new kit, etc., to get the same kit with a different label and instruction sheet.
check your PM

1 - 5 of 5 Posts