SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I don't post here. I just lurk, but I check the forums daily and appreciate reading through the threads. Its fun and informative.

I have had my 08 KTM SMC 690 for about a month now and I freaking love it!! I have a 08 ZX10 that I could care less about now after riding my 690. I have nothing but great things to say about my 690.

I am posting today to let anyone interested know about the experience I had today at the Jacksonville FL KTM dealer. I will not include any inflammatory information or opinions, just the facts. You can decide what you think.

I called JAX KTM (Jacksonville Florida KTM dealer) last week and asked about a Akrapovic full system and axle sliders for my 08 SMC 690. The man who I spoke to was Kirt. He told me that he could have it there in a few days and that they had the sliders in stock. No problem and I was stoked.

I called a few days later and was told the pipe arrived and it was ready to install! SUPER!!!! I scheduled for Tues. July 15th (today). I told Kirt I was driving 1.5 hours to get there and that I would love it if they could do the install in one day if I dropped off the bike in the morning. He replied that would be no problem. See ya at 10:00 AM sharp!

SUMORYDR and I dropped off the bike this morning and went around JAX killing time waiting to get the bike back to see how bad ass it would be with the new system and map. 2:00 PM rolls around and I give em a call. BAD NEWS-The system that came in was not fitting. I hang up and drive straight the the shop.

When I get there I am told that not only is the Akra system not fitting up but they dont have the correct sliders either. :rant: The good news is they rigged up some ill-fitting sliders to fit on the front axle. :headscrat George, a mechanic employed there begins telling me what happened.

The part ordered was for my bike but is not fitting. The wrong part was shipped and it was an honest mistake. I asked what part was shipped. He told me it was for a 690 Supermoto and that they thought that it was the SMC. So.......I ask plainly "Was the wrong part shipped or was the wrong part ordered" then another gentleman whose name I dont know told me they (the JAX dealer) ordered the wrong part. Kirt then agreed telling me he ordered it by mistake. George didnt say much after that.

I talked to George saying that I would like the incorrect front sliders removed and that I wanted my 500.00 deposit refunded. He told me I could have the incorrect front sliders on the house for the trouble. I thanked him for the offer and declined. They refunded my deposit as requested.

End of facts---Start of my opinion
When I first spoke to Kirt when I ordered the parts I told him about trying to get these same parts from the KTM dealer in Ocala and not having much luck, and not wanting to drive back and forth to Ocala to deal with stuff not there. He assured my they could do the job right. So basically I went to Jax cause Ocala didnt really seem like they were too worried about getting my stuff.

I also let Kirt know that I had to take time off work, drive 1.5 hours each way to get this done. At the end I find out that NONE of the parts I ordered were in after being told there were and driving there. To top it all off they never even called my to tell me after 3 hours of having the bike there. I had to call them to find out the wrong stuff was there.

This isnt a HUGE deal, not the end of the world I know. But I wont give my hard earned money to a shop that wont even check to make sure they have the right parts AFTER being told by the customer that they had trouble at the previous dealer.

After all my trouble I was offered a 15$ (cost) set of incorrect sliders for my trouble. I wasnt offered nor did I request anything additional. I feel that after this happening a "what can we do to keep your business" or at least a more substantial offer of remittance would be in order. But again, that is just IMHO.

So guys and gals, take what you may out of this. This dealership may well be the best in the country and I was just one of the only few unhappy customers. To each his own. I am just telling you my version. I have had much worse times than this but also have had much better.

On a lighter note- I spoke with KTM Tallahassee and let them know of my situation and they are being very helpful. And I cant wait to get an Akra on my bike!!!!
:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Yeah dude I was there for the whole thing and am overly concerned about the whole incident....

I mean they attempted to do the right thing but they made a sad (and very simple) mistake but seemed unphased when called on it. I just don't want anyone else to get this kind of treatment from a dealer and then be upset about the KTM brand.

Much like my buddies and I we all love the KTM brand and love the products that they put out. The only downside to the whole thing is the dealerships aren't all that knowledgable about much of anything after the sale.

Of course this is just in this neck of the woods....

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Just a heads up. KTM has the wrong sliders listed on their website for the '08 SMC, so this isn't exactly at the dealership level. I too am dealing w/ this scenario.

Alot of the issue is that the "new" SMC is being mistaken for all-things SM and the dealers just can't differentiate the two. I know it doesn't fix your situation, but I thought you should know about the sliders

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a heads up. KTM has the wrong sliders listed on their website for the '08 SMC, so this isn't exactly at the dealership level. I too am dealing w/ this scenario.

Alot of the issue is that the "new" SMC is being mistaken for all-things SM and the dealers just can't differentiate the two. I know it doesn't fix your situation, but I thought you should know about the sliders
Just FYI, Kirt didnt order the sliders from the catalog. He had them left over from last year and thought they would fit my bike. Thats what he told me.....

·
Registered
569 Posts
one thing is, he said he got in the SM sliders, well actually those do work as thats what i put on mine

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dude he had to rig them up so they'd work....they aren't the ones meant for the bike.

I'd just rather have the three things that I asked for instead of what they think will work.

·
Registered
569 Posts
i realize that, pay attention, i said that you said that he said he got in the 'sm' sliders, well those work on they smc, so he had something else

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i realize that, pay attention, i said that you said that he said he got in the 'sm' sliders, well those work on they smc, so he had something else
Im afraid you are mistaken. If you reread my long read again you will see I never stated anything about "SM sliders". There is NO reference to SM sliders in the whole post.

Here are your Cliff Notes:

I asked for sliders for my 08 690 SMC. I was told they were in stock. After the fact I was told that the sliders were for last years model and they had "rigged" them to work. This is not what I was told I would be paying for in the first place.

I was not sarcastic in my original post. If you would like to be an a**hole please dont reply.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Im afraid you are mistaken. If you reread my long read again you will see I never stated anything about "SM sliders". There is NO reference to SM sliders in the whole post.

I asked for sliders for my 08 690 SMC. I was told they were in stock. After the fact I was told that the sliders were for last years model and they had "rigged" them to work. This is not what I was told I would be paying for in the first place.

I was not sarcastic in my original post. If you would like to be an a**hole please dont reply.
I don't think Elkbow is trying to be a smartass.Many of us have experienced the same thing you have with the sliders.I would say there is a 90% chance that any KTM dealer would order the wrong sliders for the SMC .I have the wrong sliders sitting on my desk right now(and I crashed yesterday).KTM is sending the wrong size replacement nut for the front.Some are trashing the replacement nut and drilling the original axel nut because they don't want to wait for KTM to get there shit together or they are putting on an SM slider like Elkbow did.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The dealership knew all along that they were last years model and never attempted to order the ones I wanted....they figured they would fit the 08's.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Let's play nice now guys...... :rolleyes:

I feel your situation man. The bike is just too new of a model and you gotta wonder why KTM has other bikes with EXTREMELY similar model names.....690, Supermoto, SMC, etc. So, it causes confusion on both ends: Dealer & Consumer. Heck, there isn't a single part for the 690 SMC in the 2008 Hard Parts Catalog, which is very odd to me considering I am riding a 2008 KTM bike. :headscrat

I think your post was fair and to the point.

Hopefully things well get smoother as time goes on and things become clearer for all of us.

JOHN

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Someone here hung out with Sumo???? He tries on gloves stinks up the head and buys mirrors..... go figure.:D

·
Registered
569 Posts

here is what you said, quoted:

"The part ordered was for my bike but is not fitting. The wrong part was shipped and it was an honest mistake. I asked what part was shipped. He told me it was for a 690 Supermoto and that they thought that it was the SMC. So.......I ask plainly "Was the wrong part shipped or was the wrong part ordered" then another gentleman whose name I dont know told me they (the JAX dealer) ordered the wrong part. Kirt then agreed telling me he ordered it by mistake. George didnt say much after that"

·
Registered
569 Posts

"The part ordered was for my bike but is not fitting. The wrong part was shipped and it was an honest mistake. I asked what part was shipped. He told me it was for a 690 Supermoto and that they thought that it was the SMC. So.......I ask plainly "Was the wrong part shipped or was the wrong part ordered" then another gentleman whose name I dont know told me they (the JAX dealer) ordered the wrong part. Kirt then agreed telling me he ordered it by mistake. George didnt say much after that"

now if you were talking about the exhaust, you didn't say that there

and, the same part number 07/08 sm/supermoto sliders is what most of us ordered and installed perfectly on our SMC's, go back and read the threads and you will see

but to get back to the thread, i feel for ya, as the dealers rarely know details, there are some good dealers out there, but my experience with where i live they don't know anything, as a matter of fact, the one dealer told me the SMC isn't available and when they are they would order one, i had mine 3 days later:D from another dealer in arizona

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
We should all install our own exhausts, change our oil, set our valves, etc........

No need for a stealership to do this and mess it up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

now if you were talking about the exhaust, you didn't say that there

and, the same part number 07/08 sm/supermoto sliders is what most of us ordered and installed perfectly on our SMC's, go back and read the threads and you will see

but to get back to the thread, i feel for ya, as the dealers rarely know details, there are some good dealers out there, but my experience with where i live they don't know anything, as a matter of fact, the one dealer told me the SMC isn't available and when they are they would order one, i had mine 3 days later:D from another dealer in arizona
I see your point, I didnt specify I was talking about the exhaust only in that part. My bad.

I also see your point about the dealers. I should have assumed something would get screwed up and double checked all part#s before they ordered them. In a sense checking the dealers work. I will do this in the future. Thanks for your comments and sorry if I got a little agitated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We should all install our own exhausts, change our oil, set our valves, etc........

No need for a stealership to do this and mess it up.
I am under the impression that a akra map/computer program/setup is needed to complete the install available only from a KTM dealer.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Putting on the exhaust is easy... Do you have the map? :headshake
The map wasn't the problem was it?

Some things you can't do yet (new bike, very little aftermarket development), then the dealer is the final option.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts