SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally time to buy a Sm. Should I go ktm 450 or drz 400 or ????

I will be 100% street don't plan on doing any off-road. I will be riding to work everyday that it doesn't rain and also on the weekends just for fun, also the occasional weekend trip with my wife on the back. I have years of experience, I've owned everything from a 600 f4 to a Busa with a nitrous kit I road on the street and at the strip.

What would fit my needs? I want to have something that will last for a few years. I don't mind some maintenance, just don't want to be wrenching more than riding. Thanks, Eric

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Get something not too race oriented. Ktm 625/690, drz400, wr250x, or if you can find one already sumo'd, something like a wr450 or crf450x. These will have you riding much more than wrenching and should handle the extra rigors of daily commuting.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
^^^^ plus the Husky 610/630.
The ktm exc 450/525 or the Husky 450/510 are race oriented bikes. Therefore a pretty rigorous maintainence schedule. SMs don't make great two up bikes. If that is your plan,I suggest the bigger bore bikes like the ktm 625/690 or the Husky 610/630.

·
Registered
724 Posts
drz for commute-ktm for fun commute.
i havent owned either, but from what i have read around here thats what i understand. take with grain of salt.
but do stay away from the race breds. the lc4 would make you very happy.

oh, and are you buying new or used?

·
Registered
624 Posts
^Buying used. I don't want to spend more than $4000.
With that in mind you need to look for a DRZ. You could find one with the big bore already installed and it would be fine for some light two up riding. I put my GF on mine one time and it wasn't horrible but I won't be doing it again.

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
Don't rule out the KTM 525, if both are being properly maintained it's really no worse than a DRZ on maintenance. The DR 650 can made into a great sumo also, and the added tq would be nice for two up stuff.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
i think with that budget, i would just go with a DRZSM. change the oil and itll last forever. plus theres planty of mods to keep upping the power when you get bored. 2 up riding on pretty much any sumo isnt going to be enjoyable.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I got my 525 for just over $4k two years ago, but the guy I bought it from was moving with 2 bikes and he did not/could not take both. Other was a 636. I would have sold it instead of the sumo.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I was steering towards a drz from the beginning but didn't want to rule out any other options.

Would a big bore kit have a negative effect on reliability?.... Found what may be a good deal on craigslist.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/2400287658.html

What do you think? Little over what I wanna spend but could be worth it.
Maybe if you could get him down to $3800.

For reference, I picked up my 09 with 3300 miles for $3700. I got a pretty good deal but there are people selling them for under $4k all day long. Just don't get impatient and something good will come along. You should be able to pick up a 07 with 5k miles for $3500 or less. Keep in mind that mods to the bike do not add value unless you as a buyer let them.

From what I have read on the big bore kits they are pretty reliable as long as you stay with the smaller ones (not the 480).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts