SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where to post this.

So I've been researching Drz400sm's for a little while. I'm ready to buy the right used one when the price is right. I was just curious what you guys thought of this setup:

2005 DRZ400SM
4000 miles

Aftermarket parts/mods:
Slip in exhaust
Pro taper bars, grips
Rejetted carb
Uni air filter
Different brake/headlight

I understand the differences with the '05 is the lack of axle sliders and a potentially more problematic ACCT (which I'd probably switch to manual).

The guys asking close to 4k,told him Kelley blue book lists it at $2875 for excellent condition from dealer, hoping that we could compromise.

$3600 is the lowest he said he'd go.

It has great low mileage and he claims to have recently cleaned the carbs and had the bike serviced.

Is this a good deal? I appreciate all thoughts and insight.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just my .02....
3,500$ range is where I see most DR's, I picked mine up a couple years ago for about that. Upgraded a bit more than what the one you are looking at is. My point being it does seem a little steep. Given its winter which plays big in resale value, and its 10yrs old now I don't think its worth that. Just my opinion however. I've always found when I want to jump on a deal that is a little overpriced I always am thankful the few times I've been able to remain patient and wait.
Also I'd be leary if he said he cleaned the carbs...Only has 1 carb, and why did he have to "clean" it? Only time a carb needs to be overhauled is when fuel sits in it for good long while(like a year plus, takes this long to varnish). That being the case I would question his credibility and maintenance on the bike. Not to rain on your parade, just wanted to offer my experience. Best of luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just my .02....
3,500$ range is where I see most DR's, I picked mine up a couple years ago for about that. Upgraded a bit more than what the one you are looking at is. My point being it does seem a little steep. Given its winter which plays big in resale value, and its 10yrs old now I don't think its worth that. Just my opinion however. I've always found when I want to jump on a deal that is a little overpriced I always am thankful the few times I've been able to remain patient and wait.
Also I'd be leary if he said he cleaned the carbs...Only has 1 carb, and why did he have to "clean" it? Only time a carb needs to be overhauled is when fuel sits in it for good long while(like a year plus, takes this long to varnish). That being the case I would question his credibility and maintenance on the bike. Not to rain on your parade, just wanted to offer my experience. Best of luck!
Thanks for the response. The "carbs" comment was a typo on my part. He said he cleaned the carb, got new oil and air filter, and had it serviced. He also said he works in the mc business and has been a certified technician for 20 years. He went through the bike since it is almost ten years old, got it from a friend who didn't use it much. Not sure how long it it sat straight though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Got ya, thought it might be a typo but it jumped out to me is all. Not a bad deal on a clean bike and all, but also a spring/summer price..if youre chomping at the bit why not, but if you can hold off honestly others will pop up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts