SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike is an '08 690 SMC. I'm a bit concerned that it's underpowered. I bought it from a salvage auction post-crash, (mostly cosmetic stuff) and it fired right up after I charged the battery.

I have been through videos and read through the forum a bit and feel the bike isn't up to the power it might have been had I bought it brand new.

A few questions to gauge: I'm no wheelie king, but I can get it up. However second gear clutches (I might just not have the right touch for second gear) get the nose up but not too high and it pops right back down.

I just watched a video of a 3rd gear power wheelie and feel that this would be IMPOSSIBLE on my bike. For a moto with 65 horse and weighing 305 lbs, it doesn't feel like my bike accelerates as it should. Do I just have supersport syndrome? I ride a 748 on the track and sold a Daytona 675 right before buying this one...

Also, I believe the 6k service is when you need the valves checked. Where can I find the service manual for this bike with clearances? And is it a spring or a shim system? If shim, where can I buy the shims?

Thanks all, I look forward to being a part of the SUMO community. The bike puts the speed back into speed bumps!

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
I bet you're just not used to the power curve and quirks of the bike. I just realized the other day I can clutch up 3rd gear on my 305lb 30hp 250. I'm betting with time you'll learn to use the power to it's potential.

On the other hand, could be something seriously wrong with the bike. Hope that's not the case.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
What blender said!

And it's a 350lbs 52rwhp bike :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts