SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't understand- just for fun I punched in "supermoto" on ebay....a couple of 5 year old leftover Apes and a few Husky's and one or two Ktm's....NO drz's...these bikes are the best kept secret in motorcycling. But I fear it will fade away, and no more factory bikes will be made anymore. Everyone I meet is intrigued, but they still don't get it. :rofl:headscrat

·
Registered
482 Posts
I hope not. I thought my street bike was fun until I got my DRZ, I wish I would have known about these a long time ago
I let a friend ride it yesterday and he said the same thing, people look a them like they are nothing special, I wish everyone would just take a test ride.

·
Registered
185 Posts
If they stop making street legal from the factory I will just convert dirtbikes to supermoto. Even if I am the only guy that rides one who cares?

·
Registered
482 Posts
^ +1

1 week ago I paid $2800 for a drz with 26k miles, However it is a one owner, has a few mods and was lady owned and babied, her husband said it never saw anything over 60 mph. I was in the market for awhile and nobody wants to sell them

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
local dealer sold out in days

·
Registered
61 Posts
Weird... they seem to be getting more and more popular around here, every dealership has a handful of dualsports and usually a drz400sm. Im cool with the style dying, makes us more unique. Ill take on a sportbike any day! (off the highway of course...)

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
It all depends on where you live. Guys around these parts get it, so you see a lot of motards. Sadly the DRZ was dropped from the Suzuki US lineup in 2010, so now if you want anything bigger than a 250, you're only choices are KTM, and the exotics like Husky, Aprilia, Husaberg, etc. It's just hard to convince the 18yo new rider to buy a motard over the liter bike that won the shootout in whatever bike rag they read. Plus, chicks dig the sport bikes, and every young male knows this by high school age. They buy what they think will get them laid, and whatever makes them look cool, instead of what will be a great learning tool to teach them to actually ride a street bike. I've said it before, it took a 35hp motorcycle to teach me to ride a street bike. I'm so happy I didn't buy that sport bike.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Nobody gets it around here, nobody. Well maybe my parts guy but he races dirt. First question always is "do you put dirt wheels on that thing and go for rips?" uhh, no, it's in it's best form as you see it. Mind = blown. Every dealer I talk to looks at my bike like it's a three headed monster or it's completely invisible and they don't make a single comment. Pretty sure the only reason they have a Yamaha 250 or Kawasaki 250 on the floor is because they believe it's the bike version of a Prius. I've heard some rumors that Honda will be coming out with their 450 supermoto but that's a rumor from the same dealers and I think it's just to keep me in the store a little longer. I hope it's not dead because it took me 30 years of riding to find and I'm not going back damn it!

·
Registered
236 Posts
i have only seen 2 other people on an sm around here, and i met them on SMJ. Went to bike night on wednesday and had a great crowd around my husky. some did not know what to think but most liked what they saw. then they hopped on their lowered and streched r6's with 2 inch chicken stripes and went really fast in a straight line. :rofl:

·
Registered
916 Posts
It all depends on where you live. Guys around these parts get it, so you see a lot of motards. Sadly the DRZ was dropped from the Suzuki US lineup in 2010, so now if you want anything bigger than a 250, you're only choices are KTM, and the exotics like Husky, Aprilia, Husaberg, etc. It's just hard to convince the 18yo new rider to buy a motard over the liter bike that won the shootout in whatever bike rag they read. Plus, chicks dig the sport bikes, and every young male knows this by high school age. They buy what they think will get them laid, and whatever makes them look cool, instead of what will be a great learning tool to teach them to actually ride a street bike. I've said it before, it took a 35hp motorcycle to teach me to ride a street bike. I'm so happy I didn't buy that sport bike.
I'm with HPI.
The high-performance market is so un-tapped it's not even funny. There have been runors of a CRF450x sumo for years, and I'd love to see one myself, but they ( the big 4 ) aren't listening, it seems.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I saw about 2 in the last months here. and before that I only saw one. It looks like the demand is bigger. It's nice it's growing, but I still don't want it to be the next street bike if you know what I mean... :headshake
i'd hate to quit riding sumo because every d bag in town has one. but i dont know if i could go back to a normal person bike

·
Registered
309 Posts
Everybody here in reno just looks at mine and laughs. Some guy at the mall looked at it and said "hey, nice bike, is that a huffy?
Then the street bike guys just snicker and walk away. When I kick their ass in the twisties they get pissed at me like its my fault they suck at riding. So I say that we stay the weird little bike that no one understands and be the silent owner of the roads.

·
Registered
236 Posts
You are right! :bowdown: who would want to ride a normal people bike? we are by far way superior! :arsenal
i agree, we are superior. but none of the squids here notice because while they are doing 140 on the interstate i am taking turns at 50 that they do at 25 :bringiton

·
Registered
236 Posts
but i guess people do ride for different reasons, personally i don't need a shinny sport bike to get laid :bannana:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts