SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday i rode the new bike for 32 miles and wore my old motocross helmet and goggles...now this was a different experience from wearing a full faced helmet for sure....bugs were still hitting the exposed areas of my face as was sand blowin up off the road....so that got me to thinking about this winter...if that much wind is hitting my face hows it gonna feel when the wind is 20-30*? now purely for the looks i want to do a dirt style scorpion helmet because i mean hell it''s a Sumo...it needs a dirt helmet....but this winter am i going to be begging for that full face shield protection? the shoei hornet is about $350 and the scorpion Calavera is 155+25 for goggles but if i have to go buy another $120 helmet in 3 months i may as well buy the shoei and be done....

So rambling aside is the shoei hornet worth the $350 or should i get the dirt helmet and suck it up this winter?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wear a flat black Shoei RF-2000 I love shoei helmets. I have never considerd wearing a "dirt" helmet on my streetard. Too much high speed and lots of bugs. The hornet looked intresting when I was shopping around I say go for it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol i have trouble considering 90mph high speed thats why i am considering it...plus it's dot and snell approved....and don't tell anyone but it matches my bike very well too...lol

·
Registered
36 Posts
Based on your comments, you may be preoccupied (and possibly obsessed) with appearances. Matching bike and helmet? Come on, man! That shit is for conformists and squares.

That said, it seems you already know what's right for you but haven't yet come to terms with it. I say, go for comfort. You'll be happier in the long run, regardless of whether you're rocking a mx helmet and goggles, a helmet for the street, or a street helmet with a mx-style visor--- designed, apparently, by the same guy who brought us the ktm 690SM's front fender.

Happy helmet shopping, and enjoy the new bike.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well let me elaborate on my situation....i had an exo 700 matte black...loved the helmet and when it hit asphault it held up very well but the matte black showed every rock chip and every little bug...thats why the exo-700 rivet made the list...

The scorpion cavalera made the list cause it's extremely comfortable and its made by the same guys that saved my head 2 weeks ago...and to find one that looks cool and matches my bike is a huge plus after coming from a helmet that was flat black plain jane.....

now the shoei i love but after spending 120 on my last helmet and buying it without ever even touching one much less trying it on is an intimidating purchase at 350+..

and as far as appearances...i don't know many people who buy a helmet without for one second thinking of how it will match their bike or how cool it looks...thats why there are 298,843,483,438,000 different helment colors and designs on the market....i have found some that are comfortable to me and then i looked at their selections of designs and found ones that i enjoyed.....i'm not a 14 year old girl picking out a new shirt but i still want somthing that looks better than matte black

oh and preciate....i am loving the new bike

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
be like me.....turn your visor around for serious break neck looks.......people say i look scary

·
Registered
28 Posts
I ride supermoto with a street helmet, but I also put 450-500 miles in a day. I tried the visor style, too much wind push at higher speeds, and makes your neck tired. I think that comfort and safty are more important then looks.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
see thats the thing i have only ridden 34 miles so far and the whole visor/wind thing wasnt too apparent that's why i figured i should ask first...guess i'll ride for a lil while with my old mx helmet and see how i like the visor situation before i make up my mind one way or the other

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
ok i'll tell you first hand..... MX helmets in winter SUCKS. period. no getting around it. that cold wind hitting the exposed part of your face is just terrible....... SO... possible solution for your problem (if you dont want to deal with your face going numb).. get the mx helmet now. then when winter comes get a cheap basic vega,gmax or whatever just for the winter (maybe even a used helmet off ebay or craigslist).. yes they are cheap helmets but they still save your skull. my vega i had a couple years ago held up great to a 60mph lay down...

now i know there are going to be tons of people stating how vega gmax and any other cheap brand helmet is crap.... keep it to yourself. there is another thread of helmet quality and we dont need to threadjack this one with useless banter. its an opinion

·
Registered
843 Posts
be like me.....turn your visor around for serious break neck looks.......people say i look scary
That is awesome!^^

Don't buy a used helmet. You never know how cracked it is on the inside.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
I have both. If i'm going for long distances or high speeds i'll wear the full face helmet. If i'm just out riding for fun i's dirtbike helmet and goggles all the way.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have both. If i'm going for long distances or high speeds i'll wear the full face helmet. If i'm just out riding for fun i's dirtbike helmet and goggles all the way.
See thats where i'm at...i rode with the dirtbike helmet yesterday and it was just plain out fun ridin like that...but i fear winter

·
Registered
375 Posts
Here's my choice for my sumo riding...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just get a dirt helmet then and when it gets cold wear a balaclava under it. Problem solved.
Not at all. I wear a balaclava NOW with a half faced helmet in the mornings. I'm a little cold blooded right now, but, still, you'll want both if you plan to ride in temps below 40.

An MX helmet/visor is a serious problem at high speeds on the road. Even with as little as you've ridden I'm surprised you didn't notice. I never thought of flipping it around though. That's pretty dang cool.

A full face helmet offers much better protection from bugs and the cold.

I ordered the last helmet posted in its full faced street version last Sunday. Its a $259 helmet and I got it for $70 on clearance plus some additional discounts.. Assuming it gets shipped. I'm beginning to worry.

At any rate, I've accumulated three helmets at this point. I'd vote for the full face right now. If you want to add an MX later, to be stylin'- do it later. You'll want the extra protection when on the road.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not at all. I wear a balaclava NOW with a half faced helmet in the mornings. I'm a little cold blooded right now, but, still, you'll want both if you plan to ride in temps below 40.

An MX helmet/visor is a serious problem at high speeds on the road. Even with as little as you've ridden I'm surprised you didn't notice.
I never thought of flipping it around though. That's pretty dang cool.

A full face helmet offers much better protection from bugs and the cold.

I ordered the last helmet posted in its full faced street version last Sunday. Its a $259 helmet and I got it for $70 on clearance plus some additional discounts.. Assuming it gets shipped. I'm beginning to worry.

At any rate, I've accumulated three helmets at this point. I'd vote for the full face right now. If you want to add an MX later, to be stylin'- do it later. You'll want the extra protection when on the road.

Did 100+ miles today on the bike and about 70 of them were 55-90mph and never once did i have a problem with my old HJC dirt helmet and scott goggles....no head shake, no wind catching the visor, nothing....felt like i had on a full face all night except the wind noise and occasional bug hittin my cheek

·
Registered
34 Posts
Cool. You must keep your head down,or have a nice snug helmet or both. Or maybe I'm just a big baby. Lol.

Do what works for you. It's your head for goodness sake!:thumbup:

·
Registered
537 Posts
On cold days, I wear a KBC VR-2 helmet that I got off Ebay for about 90.00 brand new. I love it. On hot days,short blasts, I wear an HJC moto helmet the was blow out priced well under 100.00. Neither "match" my bike. I like red, so I tend to buy red gear, reguardless of the color of my bikes.:bike:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts