SuperMoto Junkie banner

Is it (really) bad to ride on the highway for long distance

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  sirr1 
#1 ·
I very new to this whole thumper thing but I love it so far. My question is I have a 07 husky 610 SM no mods stock gears and the like. I mostly ride around town and country roads, but i live about 15 to 25 miles from the main city around here and its ALL highspeed 70 to 80 mph to get there. Is it not good for the engine to turn 5 to 6k rpms for 30min at a time?
I really dont mind the extra breeze and the bike is pretty stable so thats not bothering me its just alot of rpms.
thanks

#3 ·
i've done about 600 miles on my drz in the past 4 days, about 400 were all highway. my butt is killing me but the bike is fine.

#7 ·
I put 16k on my modded out XR650R SM last year, and freeway speeds were the slow speeds. Most of my riding was between 6000-8400 rpm, including a few 1200 mile weekends, and a 2400 mile ride in a week. If this is what you bought the bike for, ride the piss out of it, if it breaks, build it with better parts!

#8 ·
Naaaa.... it wont hurt it one bit. Its a sm man. Thats what its for. Im like XR above. I have a modded out XRR and ride it everywhere. Even long hwy stents. It will do it just fine out on the open road but man my butt:rant:. Your SM is probably better suited for the road than our Baja Kings are.

Hayden

#9 ·
Highway

If you going to ride the open highway everyday in and out all of the time, you might want to consider installing a smaller rear sprocket on your Sumo.

Installing a smaller rear sprocket is a fairly easy task and should run around $50 bucks.

This will lower your engine RPM's at highway speeds, pump up your MPG's and helps lengthen the life of the motor.

I am running 15/40, stock is 15/45 on my XR426 and she will run 70 all day with out a wimper!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.