SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I posted this in another forum but didn't get any answers. I figured I'd try here!

I'm a bity confused and I'm wondering what I should do... I'd like to have a 690 with both enduro and supermotard wheels. I'll ride in supermoto trim 85% of the time.

I read somewhere that a 690E with motard wheels was really low, and the lack of suspension travel was showing.

On the other end, I also read that it was not possible to install enduro wheels on the 690SMC because of the different calipers.

I looked at the 690SMC specs, and the suspension travel is about the same as the leaked specs of the future 690R Enduro.

I think, unless I'm missing something, that the best way to go would be to buy the SMC and somehow fit enduro wheels on it. So I could have the 690R Enduro suspension travel, and a supermotard with appropriate suspension without having to wait for the new 690R.

Am I missing something? Is there any other differences between the SMC and E model (like geometry of the frame)? And the most important, how can I fit enduro wheels on a SMC (and keep the 4 pot caliper if possible)?

Thanks a lot!! :bike:

·
Registered
265 Posts
I looked at the enduro the other day, and they do have different forks, front rotor/caliper. I didn't look real close, but those were the things that stood out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I would really be interested in this as well...

I haven't seen either bike in person, hoping the dealer has at least one of them when i go on Wednesday. If anything, maybe the swing arms may be different widths? But like i said before, I haven't seen either. I dont see it being a problem with the SMC rotor for enduro, all you have to do is have that rotor set up on your dirt wheel set as well, or visa versa the Enduro rotor on supermoto wheels???

·
Registered
120 Posts
a 21" front is probably out of the question on the SMC. a 17 onto the HE is simple, but the suspension travel is different. i'm looking at building a 19" front for the SMC. i have a rim and the hubs are cheep. buchanans can cook up some spokes. i think with some creative cross drilling in the rim the 19" will work fine.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Nope

I learned the hard way.

I thought you could just slap moto wheels on a dirt bike and boom Super Moto. Not even close - Travel, Valving, preload, piston profiles. Basically there is a big difference between dirt and street suspension. The EXC was dangerous on the street with dirt suspension. I put SMR forks, Shock and brakes on it and it was unreal. I was amazed at being able to take a well known corner 20MPH faster than before. The sad truth is that if you want to do street and dirt you need 2 suspension set ups not just 2 sets of wheels. Just my opinion, but theres some costly experience behind it.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Why not just get a extra set of SMC wheels and buy some 17" knobbies??? you could change the suspension clickers to soften it up for the dirt and still have a good bike and suspension.

·
Registered
80 Posts
It would work, but I doubt it would be very good. The valving would be wrong and even if you went all the way out on the rebound dampening I doubt it would be right. As with most multi purpose things (my fax/printer/scanner comes to mind, it just wont do everything well. That bike has 48mm forks right? Buy a set of trail forks and get a spare shock for an SMC and have it rebuilt for trail, then youll be dialed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts