SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want a little feedback from you guys that already have sumo's, especially XRR's. I really want to convert my stock XR650R into a supermoto (for obvious reasons), but I am getting some advice from street bike owners that this bike is not safe in traffic because it does not have enough engine to keep up. I want to use my bike for a light commuting (10 miles highway) and for a playbike; are supermoto's not suited for travelling beyond the twisty backroad. What's the scoop?:hmmm:

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I just want a little feedback from you guys that already have sumo's, especially XRR's. I really want to convert my stock XR650R into a supermoto (for obvious reasons), but I am getting some advice from street bike owners that this bike is not safe in traffic because it does not have enough engine to keep up. I want to use my bike for a light commuting (10 miles highway) and for a playbike; are supermoto's not suited for travelling beyond the twisty backroad. What's the scoop?:hmmm:

Your XRR will more than keep up. And it will be devastating your friends on the twisties. Is it uncorked?

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Yeah, you friends are just scared of you making them look silly in the twisties. If your friends ride sportbikes at 90+ MPH everywhere, you might have a problem keeping up. If you all ride within the speed limit, you'll be fine. I was riding mine 50+ miles a day, most of it doing 70mph-or-so on the 101 freeway in Phx, AZ, which is known for having tons of careless drivers. I never needed more power going to and fro.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
The bike can cruise at 80 all day...and it will keep up with your sportbike friends from 0-60.

And in the twisties you can lean the bike over way farther than the sportbikes can.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Well I ride & race both SM's & sportbikes & I would have to say as said B-4 your friends are clueless :rolleyes:.

When (a long time ago) I 1st bought my '02 XRR I made it street legal & just the HRC un-cork kit (manifold, jetting, & high flow exhaust tip).
with stock gearing I could putt along 100 plus indicated on my aftermarket speedo on the highway & in the desert all the time.

Road the bike to PHX & back once cruising @ 80 mph in 2 hr stretches constantly (5 gal tank & a thicker Baja designs seat helped:thumbup:).

In SM trim will tear up the road rockets in the twisties as well !

Not to mention the bike can be 6 bikes in one (road bike, dual sport, MX, sport tourer, SM, & multi type race bike).

So reliable & universal that I'm planning a trip to have my bike trucked to Fairbanks, AK. & I'm flying in, to ride it back to Lindon,UT. 3150 miles.

I have 4 rides on it from San Diego to the tip of Baja, Mexico & back (many dist 37 desert races as well), & every time I've ck'd the valve adjustments they have stayed within specs.

One of the most reliable, toughest, universal, & most durable bikes I've owned .

& sir I own & owned a loooooooooooot of bikes :bike:

·
Registered
1,524 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use my BRP for commuting about 10 miles each way on the freeway and it does fantastic. Whack the throttle at 70 and just keep passing if you want to. Plus it's way more fun around town than the race replica 4 cylinders that are only fun above 90 mph.
Just my $.02

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have an XRR and will back what everyone else has said.

IMO cruising at 65 is optimal. I've ridden mine 200+ miles in a day with 80 of those miles on highway cruising about 70mph. My bike is uncorked.

It's true that top speed isn't so high, so if that's your interest, an SM probably isn't for you.

XRR's are absolutely not low on power. With the light weight and geometry...the power is very, very strong. Check out that vid for crying out loud!

The XRR is perhaps the best street tard, or at the least the most versatile. I think so anyway. I can't think of another bike that is better in more than one of the categories of power, handling, reliability.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have 8 bikes big, small, old, new and my "old" Xr is my favorite. I flog it evertime I get the chance and it never misses a beat. Nothing beats this bike for all around fun and reliability. It has 5 years of hard riding and I have never opened the motor, not even to check the valves. It runs like a top. I'm doing the suspention as we speak and am putting on some fresh plastic. Can't wait for summer. P.S. It loves to wheelie

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
how is the stock suspension for sumo?
For racing, stock is probably lacking quite a bit.

For toolin' around on the street, stock a-OK. Springs set for your weight, and maybe a bit thicker oil in the forks, and proper sag setting works wonders.
A front fork brace like the SRC or Superbrace tightens things up for a more "direct" feel from the front end.

I didn't do any of the above mentioned and it all seemed ok to me. (but I'm dumb.)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
great feedback guys, I no longer need/want a 150HP rocket. I want to have fun now at sane speeds. My friends are still into latest and greatest inline 4's and they have a hard time understanding why I have to have a SUMO. I haven't ever rode one but I can only imagine. I have had several dirt bikes and dual sports and loved riding them. I still want to ride offroad with my new XRR on dirt paths and trails. My XRR is bone stock, original tires and all. It hasn't even been unplugged. I plan on converting it this spring/summer.

I want to have a super torquey bike and wanted to install the 680cc HRC kit. But I have been reading that it will increase peak power at the expense of low/mid- is this true? Is the Edelbrock pumper the best carb for the XRR? It will take me awhile but I want to build my ultimate SUMO for my needs.

I will post on here regularly for answers. Thanks again:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
You dont need a 680 kit, HRC piston, or edlebrock:Funny:

Uncork it! I swear after uncorking it you will smile so hard your face will hurt:thumbup:

Just regular uncorking will increase power by 27%...43 to 50 HP...

And you can do it for little to no money, worry about those mods you listed above after you uncork it.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I can tell you that on the Hallett roadrace track, my dad and I run about even on SVs, midpack in the street group. By the end of my first day on the XRR, I was outpacing him by a significant margin.

I've also ridden the bike on the interstate at 75-80mph for four hours stopping only for gas. No worse than the same trip on an SV, and you can't argue with the guy headed the opposite direction on a BMW who gave me a huge thumbs up.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts