SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ive been searching for a little while looking for CR500's. Ive found 2 somewhat local that are fully street legal and SM ready, one even has the MX set-up with it. There both 99's that are fully converted, they both want around $4000-$4200.

Anyway ive been tryign to sell my 04 CRF450R for around $3,900. The two bikes im intersted in are a CR500. Or a CBR600/1000RR. I really think i would like the CR better, but idk if its a smart buy because its so limited. I would proble get a lot more use out of a CBR.

What do you guys think? Tell me what the CR is gona be like, i already know the blinding power part. What about fuel milege? reliability? I have a XR650R supermoto so it would proble be like a commuter bike to school sometimes (25 miles there and back) And sometimes i would take it out to terrarize local twisties. How would the bike be for a 100 mile ride? And would the tranny be ok for street riding? I know my 450R is geared way to low:hmmm:

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
cbr's are boring unless on a world class track.......i had a 954rr 2002 and it sucked unless doing wheelies or high speed........but as the saying goes in motovational posters.......riding a slow bike fast is funner than riding fast bike slow

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cbr's are boring unless on a world class track.......i had a 954rr 2002 and it sucked unless doing wheelies or high speed........but as the saying goes in motovational posters.......riding a slow bike fast is funner than riding fast bike slow
To me a CBR1000RR is the exact oposite of boring. They make amazing power right off idle, and pull so hard at high revs its amazing! Faster than any Sumo. But mainly i would use it for more long distance rides. As of know my 650R is my main bike to ride on

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
To me a CBR1000RR is the exact oposite of boring. They make amazing power right off idle, and pull so hard at high revs its amazing! Faster than any Sumo. But mainly i would use it for more long distance rides. As of know my 650R is my main bike to ride on
i rode a hayabusa with a bore kit.....yosh cams,clutch,pipe,power commanded to 190+ horsepower.......i have rode many road bikes.......it's all i did.........until i discovered the sumo.......the handling on sportbikes is just not secure enough feeling to me anymore on the street......rockets are meant for track........i do miss my 954rr though

·
Registered
516 Posts
Dude, a CR and CBR are not even in the same book. The only thing they have in common is both being fun and both have 2 wheels. 2 Stroke SM's are harcore. There is no smooth power delivery, they are very unpredictable (if running right), and total chaos (no matter what cc or manu.).

That being said, I used to ride my KTM SM (2 stroke) daily back and forth to work. It's a blast, but you are in hooligan mode 100% of the time. The only reason I stopped commuting on it is because my commute is bumper to bumper traffic here and it's hot as ballz with gear on. Now, if you like riding every mile like it's a race, then a 2 stroke SM is for you. They are usually 50 lbs lighter than a 4 stroke version of the same bike. Reliability is good, if you use good pre-mix and have it jetted correctly. I have yet to foul a plug on mine. Rebuilds are dirt cheap and very simple compared to a 4 stroke. Mileage can be tied directly to the hooliganism factor. I normally see 35-40MPG, but I ride agressively. You could probably squeeze 50MPG out of a 250, if you stayed off the pipe all the time.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Ive always wanted a cr500 tard so I would go for it just for the fun and the fact that every ride will scare the crap out of you. I race 2 strokes in the dirt but one on the street would be a total blast. I actually just bought a CBR600RR and I can say its still alot of fun, even compaired to a motard. It was just my motard became impractical. Honestly it all depends on what your going to use it for.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Dealing with premix gasoline will be a pain to deal with on longer rides. Otherwise a CR500 is a great mount. I believe there exists a wide ratio transmission that you can purchase to help with the short gearing. Aluminum frame conversions can be very easy depending on the year/model. Lots of aftermarket parts available. Do it!

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
What do you guys think? Tell me what the CR is gona be like, i already know the blinding power part. What about fuel milege? reliability? I have a XR650R supermoto so it would proble be like a commuter bike to school sometimes (25 miles there and back) And sometimes i would take it out to terrarize local twisties. How would the bike be for a 100 mile ride? And would the tranny be ok for street riding? I know my 450R is geared way to low:hmmm:
its fun as a second bike. as a only vehicle, its annoying sometimes... but when you're riding it its fun. you WILL get yourself into trouble with it. lol

MPG is LOW. it gets shitty gas mileage. (its a two stroke... cant lean it out too much.) and it has a small tank. and you have to mix the gas at the pump. refueling away from home kinda sucks.. but its the only non-standard-supermoto hassle.

100mile ride would probably be 3 gas stops with the stock 2 gal tank. you wont use all 6 gallons, but you'll use more then 4.

gearing isnt TOO bad. i dont have a speedo on mine yet, but im passing traffic that normally flows 50, with stock MX gearing.. buuut its buzzy as hell. worse then most other supermotos. i keep it out of the RPM range that does the buzzing the most, and then its fine... you can of course re-gear it.. it helps make it more rideable too.
and then there's the wide ratio trans you can add.. it replaces 3rd, 4th, and 5th... giving you a better trans for high speed.. was intended for desert racers, but works on the street.
i dont know of anyone breaking transmissions and its so simple that reliability is a snap.
my CR500 starts with one kick when its been run earlier in the day.. if its sat for weeks..... you need to know how to start it.. but it does within 2 kicks... that is IF you know how to start it. (im emphasizing that)

in my experience it does go longer between rebuilds then most MX bikes on the street. and it doesnt foul plugs like smaller 2strokes tend to....

its a fun second bike for just outside town or trackdays... its not ideal for highway use... it'll do the speed, but its not enjoyable.

there is some 2stroke surge... and no engine braking.. and at a red light, you might have to occasionally blip it...
but 90% of the time....its fun as hell. not practical at all, but fun.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dude, a CR and CBR are not even in the same book. The only thing they have in common is both being fun and both have 2 wheels.
I know, but as of right know my XR650R SM is my main transportation, i really dont consider it a main bike, but it is for me, normally 1000 miles a month.

I really think i should be getting the CBR for more open road stuff and long distance, but i have the sickness that we all suffer from, i just want a light little single that will scare the shit out of me:bike:

This is gona take some more thinking...:hmmm:

·
Registered
163 Posts
I put 50,000 miles on an 05 CBR600RR. They are a brilliant bike, the best handling and braking bike I've ever ridden. If it were me and I already had an XR, I'd buy the 600RR. Only problem is it is designed to be ridden fast - the faster it goes, the better it performs.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think at this point it all depends on the deal i can find. I've had a hard time finding a decent newer CBR for under 4G's...

·
Registered
480 Posts
If you have to ask someone else about a CR500 tard, probably NOT a good idea to get one unless you have health insurance.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
If you have to ask someone else about a CR500 tard, probably NOT a good idea to get one unless you have health insurance.
even if you dont have to ask anyone, i highly recommend health insurance. :lol:

·
Registered
797 Posts
uh no

I think at this point it all depends on the deal i can find. I've had a hard time finding a decent newer CBR for under 4G's...
Insurance yes, but seriously... if you even have to ask if it is gonna be the right bike for you.......it won't be you sally..... a CBR for that price IS gonna be hard to find (scared) and while you are riding your CBR you can still dream how fun it would be to ride a 5 hundee but you'll be able to commute and such ...... if you were the guy riding the 500 and wishing it was a CBR well then that'd really suck for you ...... id say get the 5 hundred, sell that pig of an XR, and then find a CBR even if it costs a bit more as the 5 hundred are few between and the CBR's are EVERYWHERE..... but i digress....i knew my 5 was the perfect thing for what i do ( sheer hooligan mpg wha the [email protected]#K and wheelies everywhere all the time off the corner and big back wheel powerslides in and out of turns..... in my neighborhood on my way to work and such......EPIC i never ride the freeway....its so boring) and i couldnt realistically really do it on a CBR so its not even a question....the force of the dark side is strong!!!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Supermoto bikes are some of the most impractical bikes ever, but the most fun ever.
+1...I will take fun over impractical anyday. A cruiser is practical, but what fun is it? Life's too short not to wheelie sidewayz outta corners :D

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
+1...I will take fun over impractical anyday. A cruiser is practical, but what fun is it? Life's too short not to wheelie sidewayz outta corners :D
cruisers arnt pratical... try BMWs, honda ST, FJR, etc..... THEY are bikes that really do replace your cars. if you want something to replace your semi, you can get a new goldwing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts