SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I'm new to the list, but several folks pointed me this way to maybe get some help on a project I'm starting.

I've got my old '96 XR400 that is collecting dust since there's no places left to ride in the woods around here anymore.

I got an idea to turn it into a trackday bike, but I'm more a roadrace fan than a supermoto fan, but then I discovered "Formula 450" or "450GP", and realized that's exactly what I'd like to do to my XR. You put 17" wheels front and rear, and swap on an R6 or GSXR front end to lower the front, then add clip ons.

I've got the front end pretty well sorted out -- it will be a complete fork/triples/wheel swap, so the wheel will work with the forks it's designed for.

So, question for you motard guys -- what's the easiest 17" cast rear wheel to fit to a '96 XR400? Seems like older Katana wheels might be a good place to start looking.

And, if anyone's done it, can you post measurements of what you had to cut, what size spacers had to be made, and how you got the rear brake to work?

Thanks!

Russ

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have these, but can't help much as they were on it when I bought it.
They are CBR600 front and 900 rear, they are quite a bit wider than needed.
I've seen posted that the smaller bikes, 400's maybe 250's are much closer to ideal (less machining needing). but not much in particulars.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have these, but can't help much as they were on it when I bought it.
They are CBR600 front and 900 rear, they are quite a bit wider than needed.
I've seen posted that the smaller bikes, 400's maybe 250's are much closer to ideal (less machining needing). but not much in particulars.
Thanks.

Sharp looking 'tard you've got there!

Russ

1 - 3 of 3 Posts