SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY 450SMR keeps overheating and stalling at lights so I purchased a stock KTM fan from a dealer and just received it. It fits in, but VERY tight! The only problem is the sensor to make the fan kick on is a bolt that goes into the bottom of the radiator and measures the temp. On my SMR the only two holes in the radiator are the two pipes that go into the engine. There are no drain holes! where the hell do i put this thermo?

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
MY 450SMR keeps overheating and stalling at lights so I purchased a stock KTM fan from a dealer and just received it. It fits in, but VERY tight! The only problem is the sensor to make the fan kick on is a bolt that goes into the bottom of the radiator and measures the temp. On my SMR the only two holes in the radiator are the two pipes that go into the engine. There are no drain holes! where the hell do i put this thermo?
You can't... The EXC's have the bung-hole (I said bung-hole... :laughingr) in the bottom right rad... The SX & SMR's do not...

You need to wire it (the fan) up with a fused toggle switch directly to the battery... If you're running a Trailtech Vapor computer, set your yellow warning light for 185*f (that's the thermostat temp supplied with your fan sensor).... Then, when you see the yellow light come on, just hit the switch until the light goes out....

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
You have to buy a EXC/MXC radiator with a bung at the radiator tank to mount the sensor. Your dealer should be able to help ya out.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
haha bung hole!
Im not running a trail tech... so how often should i flip it on? just basically when cruising a town st and at lights? or do you guys see it go on under high speeds too?
(im strictly street with this bike)

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
I never saw my SX or my SMR overheat except when at lights... Even if you're going ~10-15 mph, there's a good enough amount of air moving to keep it from overheating-- JMHO

If you don't already have a computer, I would invest in a Vapor... They're really nice units for the $$$

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mine overheats at every light that I sit at for more then 2 mins. It doesn't immediately stall, but as soon as you give it a lil gas it stalls out, and makes you look like an idiot that you popped the clutch! haha

·
Registered
438 Posts
How wide are those fans ? I'm looking for my 2000 wr . With the split radiators, the fan can only be around 4 inches for my bike i am still looking, those things are expensive.

·
Registered
101 Posts
i am actually running a radioshack 12V DC computer fan on my YZ426. You need to rectify the AC current, but once agian, radioshack came in with a rectifier. Total spent was 22 bux on the fan and rectifier. Also, yes, i am still running AC on the bike...

·
Registered
438 Posts
i am actually running a radioshack 12V DC computer fan on my YZ426. You need to rectify the AC current, but once agian, radioshack came in with a rectifier. Total spent was 22 bux on the fan and rectifier. Also, yes, i am still running AC on the bike...
I was going to do the same already have two 8 cm computer fans but then thought they would fail the first wash, so I nixed that idea. Have your fans survived washes and road dust or offroad mud??

·
Registered
713 Posts
speaking of DC stuff working when it's wet.....I dropped my cheapo electric razor in a sink full of water and in just sat there, submerged, still running for like 10 seconds before I grabbed it! I thought it was toast but it still works!

·
Registered
10 Posts
as far as fuel milage, i have a trail tech and im only getting about 60km to a tank of fuel.
I never had heating problems on my bike at lights yet.
560 SMR

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Yep, a switch seems to be the answer, and manually do it at stops. Mine for sure only rises up at stoplights, but then it's unnerving watching the temp gauge raise about a deg every few seconds.

FWIW I've also heard Kymco has some fans that should work the trick (some scooter company...I have a dealer like a mile away so I may check to see what they have, heard they're like $30 though)

I haven't seen the KTM EXC one, so I'm not sure, but that bung doesn't happen to fit in the top of your right radiator does it? That's where I have my vapor plugged into...think it's an M8 thread, if I recall correctly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts