SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two issues and im wondering if anyone else has had similar problems. I searched the forum already but couldnt find answers...

First issue
I just bought a new cush drive hub for my KTM and Im having a hard time getting it to fit right. It is a KTM hard parts cast hub. The my first issue is the axle barely fits all the way through the hub. It gets jammed right where the cush drive insert meets the main hub. I wired brushed all the powder coating off the axle thinking that may help (not really). I have to bang it through, but once its in it is tight and hard to move.

My other issue
The spacers seem too wide for the swing arm and brake caliper. I dont know if the cush drive isnt seating all the way down, or if the spacers are too wide? I have not gotten it mounted

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
The overall width of the rear wheel whether cush or solid rear hub are the same, if you are not installing the rubbers right and seating the cush unit in the wrong spot it can be a real pain in the a$$ to mount. but it should fit without binding and the axle should slide through and be pushed into position by hand........NO POUNDING.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The cush hub is a pita to rebuild, hard to get all the bearings in so that they would be absolutely right, also the cush part can be difficult.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if you are not installing the rubbers right and seating the cush unit in the wrong spot it can be a real pain in the a$$ to mount. but it should fit without binding and the axle should slide through and be pushed into position by hand........NO POUNDING.
I understand how it "should" fit. The problem is it's not.

Are you saying the cush unit can only go in one specific slot? vs any of the 6 slots? If so I cant tell which slot it needs to be seated into?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The cush hub is a pita to rebuild, hard to get all the bearings in so that they would be absolutely right, also the cush part can be difficult.
This is a brand new hub. Could it be that the factory did not seat the bearings properly which is why Im having the problem? If thats the case, what a pain in a$$.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Success

I just got it mounted. Apparently there is a specific slot the cush insert needs to go into. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have this same issue. Please help!

I just got it mounted. Apparently there is a specific slot the cush insert needs to go into. Thanks for your help!
I hate to join a forum for the sole purpose of resurrecting a 2 year old post but...
I stumbled across this thread while researching my own issue, and this is the exact same problem I'm having with a brand new cush wheel. The axle only slides in about 2 inches before contacting the other bushing. Its as if the carrier bushing and drive side hub bushing are misaligned. In desperation I beat it in thinking it was the inner sleeve needing to be realigned but it's just as hard coming out as it was going in.

To the OP if you're still active on the forums, can you explain how you got this to line up?
I cant see any specific way the sprocket carrier mounts to the hub. Looks pretty symmetrical on the backside.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts