SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I burned a vacation day at work so that I would have time to do it. Backmarker came over nice and early this morning, while it was still nice out, and we got started. Disassembly went smooth, but I started rushing at reassembly because I was getting excited. From start to finish, including lunch, it took us about 6 hours. We are definitely not a race team pit crew, but that we had alot of fun and learned a few things in the process.

Did a couple silly little things, like forgot to swap out the carb main jet while the carb was off. Thankfully, the FCR carb has the small screw off cup on the bottom to allow quick main jet changes. I routed the throttle cables wrong at first and worst of all, forgot to take a bunch of pics of the reassembly, including any pics of the new cams going in.

Once everything was back in place, and all the fluids, clamps and fittings were double checked, we fired it up. It fired right up and appeared to be running a bit rich at first. Then, after it ran for a few, and the rings seated in a bit, it cleaned up. Ran it for a bit at a nice steady rpm and then took it for a short spin down the street a few houses. Turned around, whacked the throttle while rolling with the clutch out, and lo and behold, the front tire whipped itself up in the air like no ones business, and that is with 15/39 gearing. HOLY COW! What a freaking difference. I look up the street to see Backmarker standing there flipping me off. :thumbup:

Man, what a different machine now. I used an Athena 435cc kit which comes with a forged piston, new cylinder, and all the gaskets you need. The cams are Hot Cams stage 1. I already had an FCR and Yosh RS-3. I was very impressed with the quality of all the new parts. Everything was well made and nicely packaged to prevent shipping damage. The only thing that was useless was the directions included with the Athena kit. One half page long and poorly translated from Italian to English. Before attempting something like this, make sure you have the factory shop manual, or an equivalent one.

·
Registered
478 Posts
"You take'a the carba offa first-o", thats about how the instructions read... Good project man, I was amazed by the power increase, and yes, I gave you half of the peace sign... Only becuz im jealous of course... Turned out nice WRX... Congrats, cant wait until you get a kitchen pass to go for a decent ride..

·
Registered
274 Posts
Nice dude! I cant wait to see it on the next group ride

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haven't tried. I am not a big wheelie guy. I enjoy doing them, but am not very good at them anymore. Back in my single days, before being a dad to 3, I used to ride much more aggressively and used to wheelie all over the place. In the last 10 years, I have toned it down quite a bit. That said, my guess is it will loft the wheel about as easily in 2nd. I'll play with it a bit today on the way to work and let you know.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Cool, thanks.

I'm not real big into doing wheelies myself, it would just give me a good idea about how much power it is putting out, I have been thinking about doing the same thing and I have the same gearing.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I rode WRX's bike just after the install... Jumped on my bike right after and felt like I was pedalling it. Great low-end grunt, but you would have to ask him about HP etc... I have to say that with his new carb, the cams, and the big-bore kit, it has transformed that bike.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, with throttle only, the 2 times I tried, no go. Throttle and a properly timed slight tug on the bars though, thats a different story.

On my way home from work, accelerating through a 2nd gear corner I have taken 100 times, hit a slight bump in road near the exit and the front wheel came up about a foot while I was still leaned over a bit. Wish I could have seen it. Probably did not look as cool as it felt but still.

Major difference in power. If I put the stock gearing back on it, it would be even better. I may have to throw my 14 tooth front sprocket on to see what its like...

·
Registered
62 Posts
:thumbup:

I'm still loving mine. I've put just under 2k miles on the whole setup with no problems whatsoever. 2 oils changes and a lot of smiles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts