SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy is looking to purchase a 2003 450 EX-C... unfortunately I don't know a lot about the orange bikes. I do have another friend with a '08ish 450 SX that had some valve or cam issues though.:headscrat So what's the story with the 450 EXC -- is it a good bike? Anything to watch out for? Specific issues or trouble spots?

Specifics on the bike: low hours, fresh top end, comes with lots of extras (Rekluse clutch, KTM extended gas tank, extra rims/tires, etc). Otherwise the bike is stock down to the silencer and even appears to have the original (now dead) battery in it.

My friend wants to dual sport it and eventually street-sumo it (max street use 50% with a 10 mi work commute). I'm pushing him towards a more aggressive dirt bike so he'll be able to keep up with me on the trails and my soon-to-be-sumo'd CRF450.:lol:

Any info would be appreciated!

·
Registered
169 Posts
The 03s were the first year of the larger dia fork tubes; On my old 450, I thought the fork stiction was way excessive, but at least around here, my 03 450 with the wonky twin header pipe, was quicker in a drag race with the 4 other newer 450s I raced against, but the new gen 08 and newer 450 is quite a bit faster than the old gen... Also, if you run sticky sumo tires on the 03, you will get front wheel chatter, wheras the 04 and newer have a different frame, and will be a better choice. But for normal riding, if the price is right, they are a durable beast.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts