SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an IMS 4.0 Gal fuel tank for my XR650L and I used the stock fuck cock and steam assembly when I installed it.

Today when on my way to work the bike started running like shit, like it was running out of gas. I checked the odometer and I had only ran 135 miles, right where I would normally run slam out of gas with the stock fuel tank. I checked the tank and there was still over a gallon of fuel in the tank. I rolled it to the reserve and it seemed to run a good bit better but not as well as it did prior to the 100 mile mark. I also noticed that there is no way to for the fuel on the right hand side to get to the side with the fuel cock, am I crazy or just dumb as hell, lol.

Was I not supposed to used the standard fuel steam in the tank? Is there a shorter one?

Thanks for any and all help in advance guys.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
it sounds like a lot of those larger tanks they make fuel fit in the lower regions but do not provide a way for it to get to the petcock side unless you crash a lot honestly and get the fuel to transfer over. Have you tried shutting it down tipping the bike to the petcock side? did it run fine after that like it was running out of gas? If so its just crappy tank design by most after market large tank designs.

z

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im thinking the same thing, I could be wrong, but Im thinking that is bullshit!! Why would I spend 200+ bucks to stop and tilt the damn bike over to get fuel to the engine, lol.
I guess we will be fabbing some shit up, lol

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
ya i dont think it would be hard to fab a transfer tube to the bottoms of the tank but then again i havent had to do it before either. Good luck man let us know what you do it may save someone the hassle and time later on. I honestly dont think it would be that big a deal in a dirtbike aplication of harescramble but in these sumo setups with nowhere near as many jumps/bumps i think its an issue.

z

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just called IMS, they said when it gets low, lean the damn bike over and get the fuel to the other bank!! lol, what a crock of shit, they should put that in their add, If would have know that, I would not have bought the damn thing you know.

Ohh well, I guess Ill figure some way of getting the fuel to transfer to the other bank without stoping and tipping the bike :)

Thanks for the replies guys :)

·
Registered
849 Posts
Man, sorry to hear that. I'm struggling to find any really good reports on IMS or any other tanks. They either don't fit or don't work as expected. Heat guns, filing, bending. I don't want that for my £'s. If I could get a decent aftermarket I would but not heard too much good sadly.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I honestly dont think it would be that big a deal in a dirtbike aplication of harescramble but in these sumo setups with nowhere near as many jumps/bumps i think its an issue.

z
Maybe you could substitute - e.g. a set of stairs :D :anim_peep:

Just curious, extra range aside, roughly how much lighter/noticeable is an aftermarket plastic tank compared to a metal stock one?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When the fuel starts to get low you notice on a tall bike like the XR650L, well I did anyway. It feels the same when its full but it has about 10Lbs extra fuel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts