SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled my Husky out yesterday, fresh oil change, then tried to start it. No go, not even a hint of kicking over. Ended up wearing the battery out in the process.

So i took the basic approach to diagnosing the issue. First, check for fuel on the plug. NO issue there, smelled like gas. I then pulled the plug/wire to see if I get a spark arching to the motor upon strating, but nothing visible.

This is my first single/dirtbike, so my question is, do these little motors have enough spark to visibly see, or do I have an ignition problem?

Plug was not fouled at all, could still see the platinum tip.

Last time I ran the bike was in November. Kept it in a heated garage the whole time. About 1200 miles, no issues till this one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sounds like your pilot jet may be clogged. Remove and clean it. Also, periodically you should wipe the sludge off the inside of the flywheel. Buildup of sludge can degrade the signal from the flywheel to the ignition pickup resulting in no or weak spark.

·
Registered
215 Posts
My golden tool for not runnig bikes is.............Quick start or other starting fluid. By using it you will know in a minute what is wrong with your bike.

Pull the air filter off
Spray starting fluid in the airbox
try to start the bike

If she starts and dies - you got fuel problem - empty tank:lol:, dirty carb etc
If she does not start - you got ignition problem - spark plug, ignition coil etc

Works like a charm:thumbup:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Yes you can visibly see the spark. Of course it might be just the place you have it. Only way to know for sure is to grab a hold of it. I don't advise this.

I had 2 ECU computers go out on my bike and that was the symptom. I don't know if it was because I was killing the engine by turning the key instead of the kill switch or if I just had bad luck with computers.

I am not saying this is what is wrong with your bike but while dealing with this I have seen the spark.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yes you can visibly see the spark. Of course it might be just the place you have it. Only way to know for sure is to grab a hold of it. I don't advise this.

I had 2 ECU computers go out on my bike and that was the symptom. I don't know if it was because I was killing the engine by turning the key instead of the kill switch or if I just had bad luck with computers.

I am not saying this is what is wrong with your bike but while dealing with this I have seen the spark.
i always turn off my bike with the key. that way you dont leave the key on and drain your battery. i've never had a ECU issue

·
Registered
363 Posts
i always turn off my bike with the key. that way you dont leave the key on and drain your battery. i've never had a ECU issue
Well I guess I just had bad luck with my ECU's. This was right after I got the bike at the end of '05, fixed under warranty and no problems since.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts