SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
if you put a heavy big bore motor in a racebike chassis that don't mean it'll still handle like a racebike...

new exc line-up are now EFI and they still have a big bore bike, the 500 exc.
I at least wish they could take some significant kilo's off that 690. I like the idea of LC4 reliability and ease of maintenance for street, but I really don't want that heavy of a bike. haha getting both is just a dream, i know. ;) An EXC sumo is what I want really, but i do like that LC4...

Thx for the EFI info, I didn't know. On KTM's USA website they still only show the 530 with FCR... I can see the new EFI 500 only if I go to one of the EU sites. I assume it's coming soon then for the USA too. Cool.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I read somewhere that ktm is actually having a harder time passing emissions standards with the efi than it is with the carbs.

something to do with it being easier to tamper with which the epa does not like. this is why they have more off road efi bikes than on road approved bikes. sounds strange but true.

I'm sure they will get it sorted out soon enough

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I read somewhere that ktm is actually having a harder time passing emissions standards with the efi than it is with the carbs.

something to do with it being easier to tamper with which the epa does not like. this is why they have more off road efi bikes than on road approved bikes. sounds strange but true.

I'm sure they will get it sorted out soon enough
Just found this article which says the EXC's will be EFI but the SXF will stay carb'd in 2012...

- new engine design with die cast cases almost 6 lbs lighter
- comes with both elec and kick start
- "There is optional map selector switch for the ignition timing and EFI software for reprogramming the fuel maps." KICK ASS! ...maybe this is what has the EPA's panties in a bunch.

Yeah, my LC4 lust is fading fast. How's this for a sexy pic:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts