SuperMoto Junkie banner

Which Motards have a smooth power delivery at low revs while having enough total HP?

• 690 SMC

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • SM 630

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • SM 610

• XR 650 R Supermoto

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • SXV 550

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • FS 570

• SM 511 R

• SM 510 R

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • CRM 450 R

• DRZ 400 SM

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!

Been a while since I wrote something on here, been lurking and reading up almost daily though... ;)

I sold my Supermoto and miss it like crazy! :/
Now I ride a GSR750 with my girlfriend on the back and am sick of the 4 cylinder sound!
I plan to sell it now and get me a Tard again!
Only question is: which one?

There are at least a trillion threads about this subject, I know, but I got a pretty specific question:
Which Supermoto (or 1 cylinder naked), has the following attributes?
-smooth and linear power delivery without being chunky like the 690 KTM's
-enough power to ride on steep mountain roads with a pillion rider
-somewhat light weight, nothing above 160Kg

I don't care about comfort or service intervals.
I need a Supermoto that has a smooth, deep thumpy power delivery so I can ride it together with my girlfriend in the city traffic and also in the twisties.

So far I've looked at:
SM630 (seems to be smooth but not much power)
690 SMC (very chunky at low revs, forget city riding or cruising with my gf)
CRM450R (supposedly smooth, Honda engine and good dealer network)
XR650R (old thing)
XT660 (low power and heavy)
SXV 550 (also kind of chunky, not smooth)
WR450F
SM511R/510
And also at nakeds like MT03, MT09, 2013 Duke R, etc
The first two are too heavy and the MT03 hasn't gotten much power either, and for the Duke R see what I wrote about the SMC!

Any experiences with those Supermotos?
Other bike suggestions to go testriding?

Thanks,
Steve

Ps:
To make up for my question here are some random but interesting dynos:
http://www.superminicross.com/forumpitbike/viewtopic.php?t=11303

·
Registered
725 Posts
miss it

i am sure it won't stay stock to long, why not think about several of the above and what they are like when they are uncorked ?? they all run better after some work w power commander, aftermarket re programed brains, freer exhaust... still think the first two are you best bet or how about a new xr 650. light years from the original air-cooled model ???

·
Registered
39 Posts
Why not another 510/511? And 530 kit if you want even more powahhh! Otherwise KTM SMC690R is really hard to beat for street use - and with some mods low rpms stutter can be fixed.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i am sure it won't stay stock to long, why not think about several of the above and what they are like when they are uncorked ?? they all run better after some work w power commander, aftermarket re programed brains, freer exhaust... still think the first two are you best bet or how about a new xr 650. light years from the original air-cooled model ???
They make them new???
Gotta google brb! ;)

·
Registered
349 Posts
xt660's make 54bhp for very little extra cash. Easy power delivery but fun. Heavy though compared to most

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
xt660's make 54bhp for very little extra cash. Easy power delivery but fun. Heavy though compared to most
Yeah like 180Kg! o_O
That's heavy as shit dude, before I take this bike I'd go for the Husqvarna Nuda oder MT09! ;)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why not another 510/511? And 530 kit if you want even more powahhh! Otherwise KTM SMC690R is really hard to beat for street use - and with some mods low rpms stutter can be fixed.
How it the 511 compared to the 510?
I changed oil every 500km and adjusted valves once a year.
I sold it though after I learned that it'll bang after 10k Km! :/

And about the 690.
PC, Autotune, full exhaust, open airbox and mapping will solve it?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yeah like 180Kg! o_O
That's heavy as shit dude, before I take this bike I'd go for the Husqvarna Nuda oder MT09! ;)
Easy to get lighter, dropping the exhaust makes a massive difference.

I'm biased of course as I've had 4 now... they're brilliant... Don't write them off without trying a sorted one matey.

The Nuda and the MT-09 are 15kg heavier real world and too powerful to be 'true' SM's... (which you could argue about the 660 of course too).

Japanese service intervals, parts and road bike reliability.... What's not to like about a 660X

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Easy to get lighter, dropping the exhaust makes a massive difference.

I'm biased of course as I've had 4 now... they're brilliant... Don't write them off without trying a sorted one matey.

The Nuda and the MT-09 are 15kg heavier real world and too powerful to be 'true' SM's... (which you could argue about the 660 of course too).

Japanese service intervals, parts and road bike reliability.... What's not to like about a 660X

Did you make a thread somewhere with what you did to yours and how much it weights?
Maybe dyno'd it as well? :)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Did you make a thread somewhere with what you did to yours and how much it weights?
Maybe dyno'd it as well? :)

No mate, but a load of info on xt660.com regarding both weights, mods and dyno stuff. Mine is currently waiting on some parts before dyno like the Stage 2 filter and the O2 sensor mod. I did though remove things like mirrors the other day, pillion pegs, standard exhaust all of which gives back about 8kg total. There's other things that you could quickly and easily get 2-3kg more off it. Apparently the worst offender is the engine for weight, followed by the tubed wheels. Wheels are something I may consider working on a tubeless solution for.

Good start point on Mods info is here.

http://www.xt660.com/showthread.php?t=630

FWIW I rode mine against a pair of Yam450's and it had no issues keeping up, if I lost a tiny bit in the bends it soon makes it up due to a real world 110mph top speed.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No mate, but a load of info on xt660.com regarding both weights, mods and dyno stuff. Mine is currently waiting on some parts before dyno like the Stage 2 filter and the O2 sensor mod. I did though remove things like mirrors the other day, pillion pegs, standard exhaust all of which gives back about 8kg total. There's other things that you could quickly and easily get 2-3kg more off it. Apparently the worst offender is the engine for weight, followed by the tubed wheels. Wheels are something I may consider working on a tubeless solution for.

Good start point on Mods info is here.

http://www.xt660.com/showthread.php?t=630

FWIW I rode mine against a pair of Yam450's and it had no issues keeping up, if I lost a tiny bit in the bends it soon makes it up due to a real world 110mph top speed.
Did you get to ride a XR650R?
If so what's the advantage of the XT660 over it?
Isn't the Honda lighter while being reliable and more powerful?

·
Registered
39 Posts
How it the 511 compared to the 510?
I changed oil every 500km and adjusted valves once a year.
I sold it though after I learned that it'll bang after 10k Km! :/

And about the 690.
PC, Autotune, full exhaust, open airbox and mapping will solve it?
510/511 don't know real life difference never rode 511.

Also for KTM I don't own one but from what I read there is 2/3rd gear mod where you just unplug proper electrical wiring and that gives you more power in lower revs + proper mapping (no need for Power Commander) can make bike smoother in lower revs.

I'm also picking my brain between this two bikes - I know 690 will suit me better as far as maintenance and longevity is concerned but 510 is just something I want realllllyyyyyy bad :) Slap a 12L gas tank on it and whoop whoop. Also KTMs are really expensive compared to Huskys here so that doesn't help.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Did you get to ride a XR650R?
If so what's the advantage of the XT660 over it?
Isn't the Honda lighter while being reliable and more powerful?
Only an older one... it was a rough dog mate really. The difference between a road SM and a Dirt bike with light kinda of put on there. Very different machines despite some similarities. The XR650 is reliable yes...But they're less of a 'real world' bike IMO, bit more unrefined.

I guess it depends what you want out of the SM, but based on your opening post, either would suit you to a great extent. Obviously the XT660 can be bought from new, new bike, bearings, parts, warranty. You don't get that with the XR650 (unless you can in the US, but you can't over here in UK for sure)

I don't know how common the XT660x is over there and how easy to get a test ride... but if you do, beware the standard bike sounds and power is poor.. it's only once you open it a bit $400-500 for the bits, you actually really start enjoying it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you want powerfull supermoto, Ktm 690smc, lots of power and very street usable and maintenance-free......I have sm510r 2010 model, whit all extras 530cc kit etc etc....Thats awesome street weapon:D:D
I know I know!
I had that awesome bike, minus the 530Kit! ;)
But to ride together?
Forget it! :D

The pillion rider seat is going to be modified to be higher than the rider seat, because my girlfriend is a lot shorter than me and can't see shit if the seats are the same height.
Doing that on a Duke, SMC, 630, etc is ok but on a 510?
I don't know if that'd look decent...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts