SuperMoto Junkie banner

I need hook-ups for my Suzuki

916 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  stringburner 
#1 ·
I just bought a DR-Z400SM. I have been told that a better cam will really wake it up. Where can I get one? I also don't like the square mirrors. I have seen the teardrop mirrors with turn signals integrated on them but don't know if they are compatible with my Suzuki. Any advice would be appreciated. Can't wait to hit the street.

#2 ·
Get the FCR carb kit over at Thumper talk, it is one of the single best mods you can do. The carb then the pipe is the order i am going. I only have the carb and 3x3 but it is so much more responsive then stock. I have smaller mirrors from dual star they are pretty good, but you have to move around a little to see behind yourself.
Do some searchs and read up on other mods, but start with the carb and go from there.

#3 ·
For sure you need to do the 3X3 and rejet. I did those mods as well as a full yoshimura RS2 exhaust. The difference was night and day. Next will be the Carb and Big Bore, but depending on your budget, even just the 3x3 and rejet help. Another mirror to consider is the CRG mirror. They have a clamp mount, or a bar end mount. They come in a few colors but are alot more than the Dual Stars. Good luck with your mods...and good luck saving any money now:rolleyes:

#4 ·
This may be a totally stupid question but I'm going for it - what is this... 3x3 mod all you DRZ guys are talking about ? just curious !

#5 ·
The 3x3 refers to the size of hole you cut into your airbox. Most have found that a 3" by 3" hole provides the best results with correct jetting. Its a quick, inexpensive mod that wakes the bike up a bit, provided you have jetted it accordingly.:thumbup:

#7 ·
Do the basic mods. first: 3x3 mod. & rejet w/ a good carb. kit like the James Dean jet kit (part # JDS005). Get the Kientech extended fuel screw for the Mikuni carb. The ThumperTalk allen head float bowl screws are nice too, since you'll butcher the stock Phillips head float bowl screws extracting them. You're into less than $100 bucks at that point. If you can swing it, get a full exhaust system like the Yoshimura RS2. It's around $450. Run it w/o the Tec-Insert to reap any gains from your $. The pipe is less important than opening up the intake via the 3x3 mod though, so if you can't swing the pipe, it will still run remarkably better.

Evaluate the performance. If you're happy, good. If not, go for the FCR-MX kit from TT ($550~ish), Hotcams, Athena big bore kit etc. The first few extra HP are cheap. It get's more expensive to extract the rest. ;)

#9 ·
Most likely yes. It depends on your jetting. You really don't need to rejet for a slip-on. The header diameter doesn't change, so there is really no more flow. W/ the 3x3, you'll be sucking a lot more air into your engine, so you need to rejet to supply ample fuel for the newfound flow. We need to know your current needle, clip, pilot jet & main jet. "Jetted accordingly" doesn't tell us anything at'all. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.