SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear everyone,

Since two weeks I am the proud owner of a '09/'10 model Husqvarna 510 SMR which I bought with 1700km on the clock.
However, past days I've been trying to figure out what mods are must haves and how to fix some problems, but admit-tingly it's all so confusing that I'd dearly appreciate someone explaining it directly to me.

As far as I know the bike is fully standard. Previous owner rode it on the street, and after 800km or so started to do track riding with the bike (put on slicks, and did some weight reduction). Then he realised it wasn't for him, and wanted to sell the bike. Or that's how the story goes.

I have a issue that often when riding, in both cold and warm conditions, the bike tends to stall when slowing down. Usually when I'm shifting down (de-clutched) the bike tends to die on me which can be aggregating in traffic. Most of the time I get it running by either starting it or dropping the clutch before I come to an absolute stop, but sometimes it won't start for a while and I'm just a sitting duck on the side of the road.

Now this is my first Fuel Injected bike, and I'm a complete noob when it comes to fuel injection knowledge. I always read the '08's had issues with EFI's, which is why I set my focus on finding a '09 or '10 model, among other reasons.

the bike used to run about 1650rpm idle, and I upped it to 1950rpm to see if that fixes it, it didn't.
I understood that the shop I bought it from slightly adjusted a few settings with iBeat to get rid of lean emission areas, I do not know if that affects the stalling.

I read about a lot of guys with '08's that say a power commander is a must have, and I also see some 09/10's using it. I'm wondering if it also apply's to 09 and 10 models. I can get a PCV for €125 second hand, and I'll probably get myself an auto-tune for while I'm at it, but all-together it's quite pricey and being a student I just invested most of my savings buying my dream-supermoto (stupid I know, but my Aprilia was costing me alot in replacement parts alone, and I happen to have a Husqvarna-fetish that I've long waited for to satisfy).

So my questions is, would a PCV+autotune solve my problems, up my engine life, give me more torque, and be a good adaptive system for the future mods I'm planning (slip-on leovince, arifilter)? Or would it be a waste of money because my standard EFI unit is good enough and just needs good tuning or something (I also read about people putting it in "track mode")? Also, are the CDI, EFI unit, and PCV the same thing or are they all different?

Or if anyone reconizes the issue and thinks it's due to something else, please to speak out.
Thank in advance!

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Hello and Welcome forum, also awesome job you has chosen Husqvarna supermoto..:thumbup:

I dont are this help any, but check you fuel pump clamping, check in google how that was doing.
It should stop those stalling issues, if there is issues, that sound little weard if that local dealer has tune in some way that EFI system:hmmm::hmmm:
My Husky was totally sensetive stall, when "stock", also in "fullpower" mode, that "fullpower" mode is you have delete that lambda sensor, plug in that lambda connector some plug, here is some pic in some topic(cannot remember that name)type of that part is, also you can check in your airfilter, if there is that black air blocker is in there, i quess that bike is in "fullpower" model, also there is in that EFI system that throttle stopper, that you can check in that black part where those throttle cables going in that EFI.

So if you want that PC V, you should get in hands that year model, which is intended to that model...Also if you get used, you must check that works, you never know used part.
That PC V whit autotune is the easiest way to get PC V work, but that neeeeeed a lot of driving, i mean a lot, but if you want to safe some money, go for it.
I would go dirrect to logal PC V tune shop to dyno it. That will help i lot, but in my Husky there is little stalling issue, becouse that throttle in in EFI bikes so sensitive, but in this case i dont see that problem, if that bike stalling when you are braking to stop trafficlights.
That PC V make little more power, of course it dipends that engine tune, but to me that is awesome upgrate, but i have heard no that is not, because that will not pring so much power and torgue, it help that engine to breathe+work better, it is better use when you get those slip-ons, i would use that PC V when butting slip-ons, you can tune that engine batter then and get best benefit then. That cdi unit just pring that rev limiter upper, to no need it street use.
That airfilter, to me you dont need "better" airfilter, but you can drill some hole at those sidenumber plate/panel/plastic, to get more air, i dont know are necessary

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I been anticipating to buy a last generation Italian 510 SMR for very long, and I'm happy I now have one :)
Thanks for the input, I'll check the fuel pump, airfilter and trottle stopper (though those only came on US models right? I believe the trottle goes about 1/4 open but I'll make sure anyway)

About the PCV, do I specificly need one for the '09 model? I though the ones from 2008/2009/2010 were all the same (even though 2008 has a different ECU).
I drive about 50km per day 3 days a week, so I think I'll be allright with a autotune, if I get one.
Do you think I should put it in "race-mode" anyway? or is that more wear for the engine in street use?

kiitos!

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I hope these help some, even.

I would quess your bike is in "fullpower" mode, if that previous owner has driven the track, but here is that topic where is that instructions.
Not sure are those in use US model

Here is that topic if you want to read
http://supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?143275-Husqvarna-SRM-510-08-Some-power-doubts&p=1614792#post1614792

Also don´t worry that SEL 1 and SEL 2, or fail text, that was coming to me also, but i was count on that bike is is "fullpower" mode, even if it is announced SEL 1 fail or SEL 2 fail, i don´t exactly what that are mean, maybe i don´t remember any more..
That PC V specifically thing, i don´t know, my one bike-magazine say those little different in 2009 vs 2010, model, but i don´t are sure that. Of course you can test that, but i don´t take no responsibility, how that will work. You should use/put that bike in "fullpower" mode always

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks alot! I'll check those things later today.
If I need them it could prove hard finding the airfilter cage and lambda plug, since there probably not made anymore but ill see where I end up.
I've seen my dashboard stating "FAIL" everyone once in a while when starting the bike up, but I've never seen "SEL1" or "SEL2". I think I'll try to find out who the previous owner was so I can ask him.
In any case I'll put in in fullpower mode if it isn't already :)

on hieno, kiitos!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so in the box of all the "extra things" that came with my bike I found a lambda plug, lambda connector and airfilter frame! The only thing I'm missing to make it full power according to the guide is the "dual mode button". Do I really need that? I've not seen others mentioning it when they "full powered" their bikes.
I also found a lose trottle stop in the box so I think the previous owner took it out, I'm wondering why they made the bike "standard mode" again though.

I can buy a 2nd PCV from belgium for €125, but since it quite far away its kind of a gamble (I currently live in the Netherlands). I could also see if I kind find one in Finland and have my girlfriend take it with her in December, chances of being scammed are lower there than in Belgium.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Ok, if you was find all those parts taken off, then it is on "fullpower" mode..Maybe that is that different on 2009 and 2010 model, i mean that "SEL1" and "SEL2".
To me that "SEL1" was that limited mode and "SEL2" is that "fullpower mode, but when that bike is in "fullpower" mode, that will be always in that mode, thats what i was count on and bike was working just fine, only problem was that easy stalling, what i was told early...

If you want to use that dual mode button, I could not get that, must be purchased separately, but to me that was only get like rain model, where that "power" is limited in some way, more softer throttle response etc etc, then that other setup is more raw power, maybe they got stored in ecu..
Maybe that's is why my Husky was inform those "SEL1" failt or "SEL2" fail etc etc, but like i was saying i had no issues, my stock cylinder looks after 5000km good shape..

That was some info to check are your bike in "fullpower" mode, that why i was saying check, you never know, there can be others owner who will but that bike in limited mode.

Are your bike exhaust popping, run extra hot, or do something weard thent that stalling when you stopping:hmmm::hmmm:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, if you was find all those parts taken off, then it is on "fullpower" mode..Maybe that is that different on 2009 and 2010 model, i mean that "SEL1" and "SEL2".
To me that "SEL1" was that limited mode and "SEL2" is that "fullpower mode, but when that bike is in "fullpower" mode, that will be always in that mode, thats what i was count on and bike was working just fine, only problem was that easy stalling, what i was told early...

If you want to use that dual mode button, I could not get that, must be purchased separately, but to me that was only get like rain model, where that "power" is limited in some way, more softer throttle response etc etc, then that other setup is more raw power, maybe they got stored in ecu..
Maybe that's is why my Husky was inform those "SEL1" failt or "SEL2" fail etc etc, but like i was saying i had no issues, my stock cylinder looks after 5000km good shape..

That was some info to check are your bike in "fullpower" mode, that why i was saying check, you never know, there can be others owner who will but that bike in limited mode.

Are your bike exhaust popping, run extra hot, or do something weard thent that stalling when you stopping:hmmm::hmmm:
That's great to hear! I'll do the full power conversion sometime coming week. Would it hurt if I do the conversion except for taking the catalyst out of the silencers, or will the bike run lean because of that? I would like to keep my original silencers standard and get some after-market ones instead.

The stalling happens when it has both hot or cold engine, sometimes it happens with a pop (backfire) but sometimes it's random. What is always the same is that it happens when I'm de-clutched, but never when up-shifting (high revs).

again, thank you for all the help, I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Your welcome, i want to help, becouse we all love Husky, also that is good to know my helps is helpful.

I was keeping my stock silencer untouched, you should get your hands in hole exhaust or silencer. I´am not sure if you just buy that better silencer, do you need that PC V(i would say that go little too lean), but still i would get that, that is good upgrate, when you get those better maps, better fuel economy, better throttle response etc, etc. But that improvement in power and torgue is not big, maybe little

I cannot remember any more, maybe that stalling sound little same as i had, but my bike was never bone stock, but in "fullpower" mode
It was 2weeks "fullpower" mode, then i was get those Arrow titanium+better ecu in Husqvarna powerparts catalog...

But check that is your bike "fullpower" mode, it is easy, just take that airfilter off, you can see that "blocker" it is big and black, there is small air hole..
Also that lambda is easy, just take fuel tank off and there should be white blug...If those are ok, your bike is ok, that is in "Fullpower" mode, that is little odd, if in you bike speedo dont info those "SEL1"...But it should dosent matter..

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe everyone should get a Husky, for world peace! :D

The belgian seller is a respected husqvarna dealer I found out, and hes selling the PCV+autotune for €180. I think I should just take it, €180 seems good for such an upgrade to the bike, and I'm willing to trust him. I also have some family living not too far from there in Belgium. :)

Thanks for the advice, I'll know where to look now. With the lambda and plug.

The Arrows seems nice, though I must admit I'm slightly more drawn towards the Leovince models. However, I don't think I have much choice and I'll just stick with whatever comes on the market. I'll think I'll skip this one since shipping costs from the US to EU could turn out rather expensive, but thanks for the suggestion.

Kiitos!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just put in the O2 plug, lambda resistor en airfilter cage. When I turned on the motor it said: SEL1.
I did not say SEL2 or FAIL.
I let it idle for a few mins, it smelled notably more than before.
Also there was grey smoke coming from the right silencer. Even when I angled to bike to the right for a while it still only came from the right silencer. After a while it became less. Untill it stopped so it prabably has something to do with the muffler itself.

I'm now going to assemble the bike and then take it for a (rainy) spin to see how it behaves.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Holy banana's what a world of difference....

When I took it for a test ride I was astounded.. It's like an entirely different bike now. If the mapping issue was at 100% before, this straight out solved 75% of it.
-So far it did not stall anymore
-It runs much smoother now when idling
-There's no constant backfires anymore when off the throttle (kind of a bummer, I must admit that I enjoyed scaring the heck out of pedestrians quite abit :p )
-It just wants to wheeeeelieeee. It's like a badly trained dog that keeps jumping up against you, even after you order it to be gentle it still goes whoop whoop whoop :D
-Overall more POWERRRR
-It's much smoother everywhere, low/high rev, half/full throttle
-It seems to pick up better, no "delay" like before, where it almost felt liked a carbed bike sometimes.
-the boggy, shaky and bad running area around 3000rpm seems much less prominent now.

The only things that don't feel 100% smooth yet are:
-on low rpm's between 2000rpm and 3500rpm, where it is still a bit boggy and not fluently with the torque. However it's much better than before
-There's still the on/off effect feeling when either on or off the trottle. Now it should be there in some degree ofcourse, being a powerfull 1Cil and all, but still I feel like it could be less.

Since I'll likely get some aftermarket silencers, that will require me to readjust the mapping anyway, I'll probably get the PCV+Autotune. Do you think I would resolve the last two remaining issues with that too?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Dude that sound soo cool, i´am happy that it is better now....

Yes, that is totally big different in limited stock and "full power" mode, but there is that "issue", i mean that low rpm not so torque as it should be, that can manage in slip-on´s and adjusted PC V, then that is totally potential, but still there will be that low end "issue", when that engine is "breath" better, there is no restrictions, it take those revs soo quick so that will to compensate that low end torque, also you don´t need hole exhaust, because if you compare stock and "race" exhaust, that race is meant to high revs, so that is not necessary, that stock exhaust is better to bring that low/mid range power...
Those stock silencer will little restrictions, because there is that catalytic converter inside, that´s why you need next those slip-on´s, maybe.

Also awesome up-grate is that race cooling/water pump. I mean this, i have this, also one best up-grates in only 40€
http://supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?138416-450-510-High-Flow-Water-Pump

The impeller and the pump cover water

version Racing

To model the TC / TXC / TE / SMR / SMRR
Year: 2008/09 tenths

Catalog number: 8000h2449

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes I'm going to buy different silencers when a good deal pops up, not a full exhaust system. I'll order the PCV + autotune soon. :thumbup:
Interesting suggestion that water pump! I'll see if I can get it somewhere, at least before spring comes! For €40 that's a neat little upgrade if it lowers the temps 10 degrees! Great for at the traffic lights during the summer! :clap:

Now there's this on my list:
-PCV: asap
-Autotune: asap
-Circuit Stealth front fender: soon
-Circuit P4 hand-guards: very soon
-axle sliders: this weekend
-Different sticker-set (maybe other fairings also): next year
-race Water pump: before spring
-Suter slipper-clutch: next oil change
-Softer step up seat: when my butt can't take it anymore
-11.5L IMS tank: If I have money left and can mount the radiator fairings on there

I love this bike! :bannana:

Thank you again for all your help! Do you happen to live in Uusimaa? If so I'll buy you a Heineken next time I'm in Helsinki! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,831 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cool

If you want good seat, i have this http://www.seatconcepts.com/products#!/Husqvarna-TE-TXC-250-310-450-510-2008-14/p/7268063/category=1671357OMG that is epic, in long ride, i would recommend get that better grip, i have that normal, and sometime i slide little. I dont know are that step-seat any softer, it looks only it is stock where is that step...
again, thank you! For now I think I'll hold off on buying a different seat, as they're quite expensive and after spending almost €500 today on a Suter slipperclutch and PCV + autotune I'm almost out of money :hmmm:
Anyhow, I drove to north-holland today, and did some racing on the local dykes there with a buddy whom had a Husaberg FE550, we had an absolute blast! I've become more confident with the bike and I keep putting it lower and lower to the ground in the corners. It's amazing how well it handles. :clap:
I have to fear for my driving license though as I keep catching myself doing over 60km/h over the speed limit..:rolleyes:

I have also decided I'll put my Aprilia back on the insurance and road tax as I'll need transport during the winter and fear for my Husky getting rusted and such. Also for short rides the little two stroke warms up much quicker. Aside from that the 125 is so much fun because you can be "try-harding" all the time, whereas the husky will have me either losing my license or ending up in a bad accident :anim_peep:
Maybe I'll put a rain tire on the front and use it as drifting bike when it rains so I can keep my Husky indoors during bad weather conditions :lol:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts