SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the supermoto community and I am trying to figure which bike to get. My question today is about the Honda xr650l and xr650r. If I were to purchase a stock xr650 like this one

How much money would it take to get this 650 to a supermoto status and pretty much look like and have the same set-up as this one

Last but not least, does anyone have anything good or bad to say about the big Honda's and what is the difference of the L model and R model....

·
Registered
516 Posts
just buy one done, it will be much cheaper. The L has mushy suspension and is much heavier..............go with the r

·
Registered
24 Posts
Having owned a L model, I'd say go for the R, watercooled, better suspension to start, a whole lot lighter and more powerful. The only thing you might be missing with the R is e-start. The only way you could get the first pic to resemble the 2nd is to buy the 2nd first....two different animals.

·
Premium Member
2,394 Posts
Tdog.

Count on something in the range of one to two thousand dollars, depending on what you do with it.

An L has the "magic button" and the extra weight to go with it. The L is up in years, likes to drink beer and has a gut. the R is it's race focused cousin, wakes up in the morning, swallows a raw egg and runs a few miles before heading off to work in the truck depot.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have both an R and an L and the R is a much better tard than the L. However the L has much better manners in traffic and gets much greater fuel economy with the CV carb.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Having owned a L model, I'd say go for the R, watercooled, better suspension to start, a whole lot lighter and more powerful. The only thing you might be missing with the R is e-start. The only way you could get the first pic to resemble the 2nd is to buy the 2nd first....two different animals.

+1

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hear what you all are saying about the L and R, I for sure ride in the R range. Another question would be, how does a motard xr match up with the other bikes. Does it have plenty of power, is it easy to get on one wheel, is it airborn worthy. I have to be honest and tell yall that I am going to act like a hooligan on my Sumo, so I want a good performer, but I just don't dig the DRZ's. I've always owned Honda's and can't say anything bad about them....

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I have an XR-R. They're animals. TONS of botom end torque,

super reliable, etc etc.

I just did a track day surrounded by KTMs a Husky 450 and a 610.

My XR-R could hang with or out run all of them coming off corners.

VERY little maintenance. Very easy to start.

·
Registered
163 Posts
XR650R...you wont be sorry. very easy to kick start, tons of power, lots of mods avail. if you want more power, not alot of maintenance.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
+10000 on finding a used R already set up as a supermoto. There are a bunch on here, and check ebay. There are enough out there that it won't be too long before you find a great deal on a good bike.

Let someone else sink their money into the bike and take some of the hit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts