SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, i'm in a conundrum. i've had my 06 510 for a year and a half. hands down, the best bike i've ever ridden. liked the handling - rock steady, even at 90+, liked the smooth torquey feel of the motor, love the quality with all the nice parts, love having a light street tard... love every one of the 2800 miles i've logged so far... even loved the valve adjustments (all one of them so far)...
but now i'm gettin to where i want to do longer rides... and i'm gonna want to start doing some more serious miles... like 200-300 mile rides... and i'm thinking of trading for a bigger big bore with a more mellow motor that will take tons of miles... like an XRR or sm 610, smc 625 (hate ktm handling though)... and that is more friendly with short jaunts on the highway (20-30 miles). should i trade? should i wait it out another couple years and buy a second bike? dang it... swore i'd never get rid of any more bikes...ever... just keep addin to the stable.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
I own the 610 and have ridden the 450 and 510. There's no question which I'd use for 200-300mi trips. The 610 with a Renazco seat and you're good for the whole day. And with the right mods it's not that much of a power sacrifice either.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have an 06 smr510 that I have done 200 mile days on, while its not the best I will never give this bike up for somthing more mild. I would save for another bike!!!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah... the other part was...

that's what i left out... will i be wanting to go back to a smaller, lighter bike? will i be wanting all the acceleration my 510 has? will a larger (heavier) bike be that much better at speed? mostly, i'm concerned with getting blown around by gusts of wind. can't have your cake and eat it too. :hammer:

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Are you into any other type bikes besides motards? I'm not saying buy a goldwing, but there are some nice bikes that may be better suited for longer rides.

My personal choice would be a yamaha fz6. Not the fastest or greatest bike, but pretty cheap used and you sit a little bit more upright then a true sportbike so it'd be comfortable for longer rides.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I'm the same way with the 450, except the second bike is the obvious choice. I'm actually looking at sport tourers... Futuras, ST4s, FJR1300s.....

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I have a GSXR1000 and my YZ400. Longer trips are what the Thou is for. More hooliganistic trips are the YZs Forte.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
don't know that i would ever buy a full on sport bike... so many guys i've talked to (and heard from on here) that as soon as they buy a motard, they wonder why they even have sportbikes anymore.

my thing is... a motard is so simple...small, lightweight single cylinder, rad performance, you can go carve canyons, explore back roads, ride trails if you're brave enough, hit the track (haven't got there yet) then go jump every curb on the way home. why polute that??? i couldn't do that on a street bike. but i'd probably try to. i'm still a dirt bike guy at heart... that is the only reason i have a supermoto.

and then, i'm starting to worry about bottom end rebuilds, piston replacement, blah blah blah. i like to wrench, but i'd rather ride. hence, a bigger, lower state-of-tune motard. and i'm short on time these days. know what i'm sayin??? time and money. you know the rest.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
You guys have iron asses if you can do 200 miles on a SMR510.

I have never done over 150 miles on my XR650R, the seats, and foot pegs viberate to the point where my ass hurts. I can do over 150 miles but speeds must drop down to 30-40 every once in a while.

Wonce i get up to 60 MPH i can only travel for maby half an hour before my ass is killing me.

300 mile days i say a sport touring bike

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah...i've only ever ridden singles... so i wouldn't know any different about the vibration. i'll just stay that way... ignorance is bliss. i can totally handle 150 miles in a day... as long as its not going straight! i wouldn't necessarily say i was planning on 300 miles in a day all the time... just once in a while. probably like 200 miles a day... for a couple days straight. my own little odyssey.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I say go for the custom seat and keep riding it.I do 700+ mile days on my 625 and have the stock seat still.I have a GSXR 1k and I hate riding that after the Husaberg or 625.I have been spoiled by 'tards.The GSXR feels like it has a flat tire as it handles so slow and heavy compared to an SM.Sportbikes suck as far as I am concerned...light weight,power and cheap insurance and my Husaberg gets 56 mpg!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
the only reason I could see to buy a sportbike is to do big tracks like Big Willow, Fontana AMA, Miller, etc... But, is it really worth paying $200-300 to do those, when to be honest, $25 days at Adams are just as much fun, and, really, at 31 years old, going 120 mph with my knee down really reinforces my sense of mortality far too much. After crashing while dragging knee at 90 and luckily walking away, I'm not quite ready to repeat that...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts