SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was riding my wr and was taking a corner at aprox. 60mph when a good probably 300-350 pound moose ran out in front of me. The bike itself went under it for the most part with my head and shoulder tucked in tight coliding into the mooses head killing it and sending me tumbling down the road. I held my arms in close keeping my feet and knees together as much as possible.

I was wearing a fly mx helmt, oakley goggles, jeans with long underwear, a long sleeve shirt with t shirt over it and leather icon hard knuckle gloves.

The bike didnt fair too badly. Luckily it slid instead of tumbling down the road. Ryan Moores street pegs, frnt/rear sliders and bar end sliders definitely did their job. the bike itslef minus the sliders only took about 300 dollars damage maybe.

As for me luckily i didnt break anything. got some minor road rash on elbows and knees. a little on my left calf and left fore arm and a pretty decent gash on the top of my left ring finger requiring one stitch and a splint.

In the end. The moose was drug off the road and I rode my bike home before going into the ER.

pics to come soon.

·
Registered
611 Posts
You sure it was a moose? Usually accidents like those end up killing you!

Just kidding ... :lol:

Glad to hear you're all right. Worst thing about country roads is the animals that stroll where we don't want em. Heal up!

·
Registered
586 Posts
You killed an animal that can and will have sex with a car barehanded. I'd get the head mounted and put it on the wall.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah no shit. thing is im in alaska and these fucking moose are everywhere. I was actually in the middle of town when this happened on a 4 lane road.

·
Registered
626 Posts
wow.... glad it was a small'ish moose and that you're ok...... we have a bad moose problem here in Newfoundland Canada to... got to keep your head on a swivel

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Damn, you faired pretty well all things considered. Mount the head and keep it in the shop, good conversation piece:lol:

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
WOW, glad your okay!! 300-350lbs? That's just a baby!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I lived in Anchorage & it was common to see a Moose in the neighbors yard on some mornings. I also lived in Girdwood & moose & car accidents were frequent. 350 pounds is a LITTLE moose,you were lucky!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Damn, you faired pretty well all things considered. Mount the head and keep it in the shop, good conversation piece:lol:
like he said. i watched a tv show about people hitting moose, shits scary man be safe out there. glad your ok dude.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Glad you are ok, when I saw this sign on my Saturday ride I paid extra attention so as not to suffer the same fate.

·
Registered
102 Posts
holy hell!!!! dude you can say you killed a moose while riding!!! i used to live in montana and they were up there. i never hit one of them but i did hit a bear with my truck. totaled my little ranger. thats when i made the step up to my 4x4 f-150. but god damn man i hope you heal up. thats crazy.
!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys, so now for a little update... first off after further thinking about it, i weight 190lbs and looking back on the wreck, the moose i hit was easily about a 600 lbs. Still a realatively small moose, but still big as fuck when hitting one on a SM.

I took pics of myself and bike after wreck but not sure how to post from my cell and dont have comp access till tuesday. But as for the recovery im doing good. Im back working. Still a bit slow moving but im moving.

Currently im waiting on turn signals from wheeling cycle and bar ends from ryan moore to come in which will be the finishing touches. In the mean while. Ive got a coue plastic pieces to clean and fix, replace the head light, dimmer switch and install the grips and this thing is ready to ride again!.

There was actually very little that was damaged on the bike requiring total replacement. A few bent pieces a little plastic to fix/clean up and this things pretty much good to go thanks to all the crash protection i got from 50 stunt.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Glad you are ok, when I saw this sign on my Saturday ride I paid extra attention so as not to suffer the same fate.

Are those the distanzias? How do yoh like them on/off road?

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
First time I saw a moose in New Hampshire, I was driving my '87 Audi 4000. When the moose ran out in the road I was looking up at it's belly. The rack on it probably had a span nearly as long as my car. Talk about a wake up call for a tired driver in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Thanks guys, so now for a little update... first off after further thinking about it, i weight 190lbs and looking back on the wreck, the moose i hit was easily about a 600 lbs. Still a realatively small moose, but still big as fuck when hitting one on a SM.

I took pics of myself and bike after wreck but not sure how to post from my cell and dont have comp access till tuesday. But as for the recovery im doing good. Im back working. Still a bit slow moving but im moving.

Currently im waiting on turn signals from wheeling cycle and bar ends from ryan moore to come in which will be the finishing touches. In the mean while. Ive got a coue plastic pieces to clean and fix, replace the head light, dimmer switch and install the grips and this thing is ready to ride again!.

There was actually very little that was damaged on the bike requiring total replacement. A few bent pieces a little plastic to fix/clean up and this things pretty much good to go thanks to all the crash protection i got from 50 stunt.
And come on, you've just gotta get a pair of moose horns on the bike somewhere. Not many guys could live to tell that tale :bowdown:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Shit glad your alright man, pics when you get a chance haha :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Bull or cow? Rack or not? 600 lbs is typical for a cow.
Bull moose can easily go 1200 lbs. and then you could have done a "Velvetcows"
and rode underneath :lol:

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
That's just crazy, I can't even imagine hitting something that big on any kind of bike. Glad you're OK man.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts