SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, thanks for your responses. I apologize for my extreme run on sentances, bad grammar, and overall bad post. My laptop needs a new fan and overheats (even while on a platform with a fan blowing at the bottom) and did so twice after both tries at editing my horrible post so here is a bit of an update and clearer(hopefully) account of what happened.
How, I got hit. A friend and I decided to go for a cruz over the local canyon, we gassed up at around 4:30pm wednesday the 19th. We left the gas station turning right down a fairly steep hill and approached an intersection with a light that just turned red, I was sitting at the red light (which took a long time) with a friend on a bike to my left (we were sharing the lane with no one in front of us). The light turned green, I remember letting the clutch out, seeing my friend take off way faster than I did, and then opening my eyes and looking straight at the pavement (I was lying face down).
I was very shaken up and foggy minded so what happened right after I woke up is kinda hazey but here is what I was told by witnesses/remember happened. I guess I was trying to get up but was stuck, my left leg was pinned under the bike. There were 5 or 6 people around me by the time I woke up and was struggling, someone lifted the bike and some awesome guy picked me up and carried me to the side of the road. The guy that carried me called 911 and the fire fighters/EMTs showed up within minutes. As soon as they got there they asked me for my ID and as I was getting it out they saw my medical marijuana card, when they saw my MMJ card they immediately started whispering to each other and their rude tones became ruder. They hardly asked me anything after that, almost nothing about how the accident happened except they kept asking me if I lost consciousness until I chose my words in a specific way that they wanted. As soon as I did, someone put a neck brace on me from behind and I was literally forced to the ground without warning. Then they put me on the gurney and strapped me down. I am claustrophobic and panic when I cant breath (especially if I am restrained) partly because I was put in an ambulance when I was younger for a bad concussion and puked while immobilized and was stuck panicking/choking until I beat the side of the gurney long enough to get the EMTs attention. I have been claustrophobic ever since. A few things made the neck brace/restraints hinder my breathing. I was wearing an armored sleeveless jacket with the armor stuck partially in the neck brace, the armor wouldn't me lie flat or against the gurney, I was sick with a chest cold, and had tonsils the size of golf balls. Between the front of the neck brace being pushed into my neck and and restraints not letting my chest expand (to the point I could hardly talk) I was panicking and asking them to let me sit up or just loosen the straps a bit. I asked them to let me sit up immediately and an EMT responded with, "just relax we do this every day your fine" and they put me in the ambulance. I pleaded with them for over ten minutes before I could even get them to look and see that I had armor on, I begged them to just take my jacket/armor off and the captain said ,"No, you have to stay like this until you get to the ER, finish your X-rays, and the doctor releases you from our care" one of the EMTs asked him if he could just loosen the straps and the captain said "No, he's staying how he is" and walked away. As soon as the captain left the EMT that asked to loosen the straps took off my jacket/armor but I guess someone was angry he did and they tightened the restraints so much it was compressing my chest worse than with the armor. I started panicking again and was told that the only way I was getting out of the gurney was to wait until I got to the ER or sign out of their care. I told them I needed to go to the hospital but couldn't take being helpless and panicking whether I wasn't in danger of dieing of asphyxiation so after a few minutes of pleading for looser chest restraints I opted to sign out of their care. It took them 5 minutes to let me up after I asked to sign out. As soon as I sat up they put the release in my hand to sign, once I did, they told me to get out of the ambulance and were gone within a minute. I asked an EMT for his info and he told me to get it from the police officer.
As soon as I stepped out of the ambulance the cop was there and started questioning me. He seemed to look at me like a criminal and treated me like one (the guy that hit me even said I was treated like I hit him). He told me I was lucky he wasn't arresting me when I asked if a friend could get the bike and said he was taking it. I heard a firefighter telling him I was only bumped and exaggerating the whole ordeal while I was in the ambulance (this probably effected his decisions). When I asked him for the fire fighters/EMTs info to make a complaint, he was surprised and said cops don't record that stuff but he wrote down the ambulance number and I could figure it out that way. We waited for the tow truck to load the bike and we all left. My parents came to get me and took me to the ER.
I had current insurance on cars/ other bikes(only had the bike 12 hours) a cali DL with an expired motorcycle permit. Pink without my name on it. I got a driving out of class ticket (which I am confident will get dropped) and no proof of insurance. I got so lucky injury wise with only a concussion, sprained ankle, sprained wrists, sprained pinky, sprained/strained neck/back and red lights are kinda scary now lol. I noticed the lights didn't work and when I checked with a voltage meter in the off position the battery was getting anywhere from 9-23 volts, 2-3 volts in the middle position on the switch (running light only), and 0 volts in the lights on position. I haven't plugged a charged battery in yet but dont want to fry it if the voltage regulator is bad. The bike rides off thats for sure, I loosened the clamps/re centered the front end best I could but it still does some super weird stuff, the fork feels almost notchy (bent fork leg or damper rod?) and is super stiff now to the point its deflecting instead of compressing, gets wobbles while turning, and gets head shake at higher speeds(never did). I rode it through a canyon I always ride and know well so I wasn't hitting unfamiliar obsticals/etc and maybe the super stiff fork is what causes the inconsistent mid turn wobble/jerk if there is the right kind of bump in the corner? I am sorry about my horrible grammar and I appreciate all of your guys input.

·
Registered
557 Posts
wow man.. sorry about the wreck... but welcome to communistfornia..... :headshake pretty much screwed from the sounds of it.... good luck :headscrat

·
Registered
492 Posts
Have you spoken to your insurance company? You should have automatic coverage on a new purchase if you already have a policy in force. You can use the collision coverage on your policy and you might get better treatment. When dealing with the other company be corteous but be hard as well. They will have to give you the value of your bike at the time of loss. That means they have to factor in aftermarket parts and overall condition of the bike. Secondly, don't brush off injuries to be a bad ass. Go back and get checked out. The other company will have to pay your medical and will also have to pay pain and suffering. I'm not saying to be dishonest or commit fraud but also you shouldn't come out of an accident that wasn't your fault worse than before it happened. If you present your case in a logical intelligent manner with a list of parts and also mention your injuries and inconvieniances then give them a reasonable figure that will satisfy you and make you go away you may be surprised. Obviously don't state it in a give me this and I'll go away manner. Just state the facts of the case and let her draw the conclusion. She knows they're liable and they would much rather get things closed up quickly and with as little medical and pain and suffering figures as possible. Also don't forget about your gear. They owe you for that as well. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Lawyer up.. nail everyone involve4d to the wall with paper and scare tactic them. At least in texas we don't make it the bikers fault before the trial.... bastages....

Old Dog.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I only had a bit higher than minimum liability and comprehensive coverage. Not many crashes cost more than 500 bucks to fix on most jap converted sm bikes and I figured if someone hits me theyll have insurence I hope. Ive been hit 2 other times on a motorcycle, once on a bicycle 4 times in a car and only one was my fault. A hit and run in a parking lot, a gardener truck backed out into me after I looked him in the eye which smashed my right knee to pieces(torn MCL, maniscus, fractured patella, and fractured femur. The other time I got merged into and fell into bushes lol but the bike got beat. Someone turned right in front of me while I was in the bicycle lane, broken ribs were the worst part. I have been T boned twice by red light runners, rear ended, and had a head on collision in the rain. I got so lucky though I have over 20 fractures/ brakes and have shredded most of the connective tissues in my major joints. Most of my injuries were from motocross, horses, bulls, BMX, and pitbikes. I cant remember em all but I know from my previous experiences with insurance they are going to say I hurt from my previous accidents and get out of as much as possible. I mean I am hurting really bad and I am not a wuss but as it is I can not walk let alone go to the bathroom without pain meds though marijuana allows me to get by on 70% less pharmaceutical drugs. I try and not involve my insurance if I don't have to, it always seems to have a negative effect no matter what. The lady who is handeling my case seems very nice and said she will try and give as much as she could in every way but no matter what she thought I would not be totaly happy with the situation. She told me to brace myself in a polite way before she told me my options. I know I shouldn't trust her since she works for the insurance company but dont want a lawyer unless i am convinced it is necessary/ recomended. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I am a pretty good talker/pusher by this point lol and already showed the rep the classified ad which I saved when I bought the bike(had a huge parts list on a word document) The thing that makes this different is that this bike is so built that they will have a hard time replacing it. I told her about the rad big bore xr650r motard in michigan that was for sale here and that I would have flown out there in a heart beat if it was still available but found this one. I am a mechanic also, or was lol and was able to explain the condition of the bike and describe the parts and their necessity. Also being in CA plated XRs are getting rarer and rarer and this one was so nice that even though I bought an xr650 and all the sm conversion parts for it a month ago but bought this as soon as I saw it, it was only in the paper for 2 hours and his phone rang off the hook supposedly. I am never getting the value of the parts alone let alone replicate this bike, especialy if I decide to keep it. I planned on selling the one I got first. I rode 9 XRs before I decided to go with the ones I did, I pick em well and waited a year and a half to find the right bike. I hope another badass big bore 650 motard pops up. Let me know if you see one!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I hate the bastages as well. Lawyer up. They hit you, take them all to the cleaners. Nice guy or not, nice people or not. That insurance lady gets paid to be nice to you. lawyer up...

Old Dog.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Get a lawyer......

Get an "ambulance chaser"....u see there ads on TV all of the time. They know how to smell money and let them do their job.

In Florida.....There is a minimum amount of payout, the insurance company may payoff to avoid going to court if that amount is accepted. Be inconvienced, but stick by your guns. Don't let them wear u down.

Check it out.

Good luck.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, I'm sending pictures of the damage today, it sucks the bike looks cherry even still minus the sliders, rear rim, right hand guard, left side foot peg, peg mount, the frame is slightly bent at the left peg mount, the right side radiator is bent in, the gas tank sits to the left a bit, the bars are bent, and the lights stopped working. The subframe might be slightly pushed over to the left side a hare but I need to put it on a fixture table to get a real idea of how bent the frame/subframe is. I have ridden the bike a bit and it definitely felt off, it gets a weird shake while turning (turning left seemed worse), it takes bumps weird and the fork feels notchy almost and it got head shake for the first time at high speeds.(it never got head shake before) I think the fork legs might be bent or the clamps twisted though I loosened them recentered them which helped but sumthin is still off with the fork. It doesnt compress right, its like one leg drags which usually means its bent and would make sense. I wonder if I shouldnt try to fix things? I'm still way soar and not sure what to do.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for baring with me guys. I am sorry about the terrible grammar. My concussion probably had sumthin to do with it lol. I really appreciate your input, I am going to take the bike to the shop asap for a final estimate. I think I am going to keep the bike unless they want way too much for it, I wish I had more stock parts for the bike. Oh well, I'll keep you guys posted and we will see what happens. Thanks, Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts