SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Six years ago I sold my Z50 to our service manager. I sold it because I needed whatever cash I could get to go racing (this is when I was in the AMA). I had just purchased a CRF 50 at the time and I wanted to keep at least one of the two, so I basically flipped a coin to see which one I would sell. I told Trey (the guy I sold it too), that if he ever decided to sell it he HAD to at least see if I wanted to buy it back before he sold it to anyone else.

I got to see the Z about three years ago at a local dirt track race he was racing, and it made me miss it. :( So, I texted Trey a few weeks ago to make sure he still had it and he said he did. :) I honestly didn't think he would want to sell it because he still used it regularly as a pitbike.

A little while later he texts me and says something along the lines of, 'Dude, if you want to buy the Z50 back, I'll sell it to you.'

YEAHHHHH!! I asked him how much. He said 350 bucks. How could I say no?!?! Needless to say, I got my Z back. :bannana:

This was the first bike I ever bought with MY money. I was 12 years old and saved up the $800 by working at my dads shop for a summer. It's awesome to have it back, and I can guarantee you it's not going anywhere.

Trey didn't add, or take any stickers off. He kept it EXACTLY the way I sold it too him. This little thing traveled to quite a few AMA races when I was getting started. It's been all over the country! And the stories of running from track security trying to bust me for wheelies are endless. :lol:

Here's a pic, and a little video the day after I got it back. InB4 Cool starry brah.

[video=facebook;10150254819308280]http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150254819308280&saved[/video]

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hopefully the video linked from facebook works. Let me know if it doesn't work for you guys and I'll upload it to YouTube. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Vid worked just fine. I rebuilt a 79' Z50 this winter for a friend. It was fun and these bikes are bullet prof.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
these bikes are bullet prof.:thumbup:
You've got that right!

Went over to my girlfriends house and got my old hot rod Takegawa engine out of her attic. :bannana: I took this engine out before I sold it to Trey because the engine is worth more than the Z. :lol:

It's got this kit on it, and it RIPS for an 88:

Takegawa "R-Stage+D" 88cc Big Bore Kit with PE24mm Carb

Over 11 horsepower!!

- R-Stage+D Head
- Cam Shaft - R10 Style
- Big intake (26mm) and exhaust valves (22.5mm)
- Rocker Arms
- 52mm Piston & Rings
- Wrist Pin
- Circlips
- Cast Aluminum Cylinder
- Gaskets
- PE 24mm Carb with Intake
- Filter
- Throttlecable
- Light Titanium Valve Spring Retainers

I recruited my gf to hold it up while I was pulling the old engine out and getting ready to put the new one in. :)

Need to take the carb to the shop and let it soak in the carb cleaner. Needless to say, it's got some gunk in it after sitting for 6 years. It had good spark today, and I'll probably check the compression tomorrow if I remember to bring the gauge home. I bet after the carb is cleaned it'll fire right up.

:bike:

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
88 kit is where it's at. Not too much, but enough to put a smile on your face.:lol:

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
88 kit is where it's at. Not too much, but enough to put a smile on your face.:lol:
Yep. My buddies 50 has the standard 88 kit, it's ok. The engine I have has the 88 plus the ported/polished head with oversized valves and a cam. The difference between the two is VERY noticeable.

I fired it up today after getting the carb cleaned. It started right up, first kick. I have a witness to prove it. :D

Wish UPS would hurry up with my handlebar clamp.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I seem to remember a kid doing knee down circle burnouts on that bike under the covered building at Cresson. Haha now you need to join the Elvi crew for all the parades. This is B-Unit on junkie....stand-up one hander slicking hair back!

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)

:laughingr:laughingr:laughingr

That's amazing! :lol: :clap:

I seem to remember a kid doing knee down circle burnouts on that bike under the covered building at Cresson.
Ssshhhhhhhhh, don't tell anybody. :D

I wish I had half of the stuff on video that we did back in the day. It would make for an EPIC mini vid.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
update? where is a video of it running with the hot motor?:anim_peep:

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
update? where is a video of it running with the hot motor?:anim_peep:
Have patience! When my handlebar clamp and stuff comes in I'll get it put together and clean it all up. Then you can have some pics/vids. :thumbup:

·
Registered
217 Posts
To get you by until your clamps come in, you can use XR/CRF70 bar clamps, they are a direct bolt-on to the Z top triple.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To get you by until your clamps come in, you can use XR/CRF70 bar clamps, they are a direct bolt-on to the Z top triple.
No, they aren't. The top triple on a Z is wider and has a different bolt pattern than a XR/CRF. If it bolted right on, I would've taken the top clamp off of this other XR I have. The pic you posted is a Z with a stock top triple clamp with 7/8 risers bolted to it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
408 Posts
Man, that brings back memories... I got rid of my z50 almost a decade ago... Miss that little bugger...

After toys for tots ride, we realized we have 10 miles to travel back to our trucks. Figured what better time to bamboozle thru Chicago :lol:

Can you count how many fiddies there are in this pictures? :rofl:

I'm gonna go make another stiff drink now....

·
Registered
217 Posts
No, they aren't. The top triple on a Z is wider and has a different bolt pattern than a XR/CRF. If it bolted right on, I would've taken the top clamp off of this other XR I have. The pic you posted is a Z with a stock top triple clamp with 7/8 risers bolted to it. :thumbup:
I didn't say I used the top triple from an XR/CRF50, I said I used the bar clamps (or risers, as you call them) from an XR/CRF70 on the stock Z top triple clamp, just as the picture indicates.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts