SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am new to the site, yet not to riding. Currently have a '01 426 and a '05 Raptor 660 and now looking to join the supermoto/street side of things! :bannana: I am hoping and planning you guys and gals will lead me to some answers in my quest for which bike I should get :rolleyes2: I am debating on either a 690 SMC or a Superduke 990 :clap: Trying to find one has been a challenge, but that is not what is important right now. My concerns are what one do I pick? The bike will be ridden on the street all of its life and be a commuter to and from work as well as taken out on the weekends. Maybe put 5k miles a year on it. I would travel on the freeway at speeds of 70-75MPH to not get ran over by my fellow motorist in the bricks on wheels, class act people they are here lemme tell ya! Also be ridden on the streets and such. I am leaning towards the 990 as from reading around seems will do me best at highway speeds and than some :hmmm:, not that I would ever break the speed limit :rofl: Also how is maintance on the bikes? On my current bikes I change the oil after ever other ride and the spark plug. I take care of my bikes and they treat me well and hoping that the bike I pick will as well. So what one is better the 690 or 990? Thank you for your time and look forward to your answers to helping me find the right bike! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
sounds to me like the 990

·
Registered
452 Posts
I'd get a Duke 690. Easier to find, looks cool, and for a street only ride, that would be my pick.

Oil changes are every 3k, valves every 6k. I've had no problems in 5000 miles except for a new battery last summer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys for the replies, to find a bike either one is a ~200 mile drive for me, works well as I feel the need for a vacation coming up!

Zimm maintenance doesn't seem bad at all than. How long does a motor last in terms of miles with changing the oil every 3k miles and valves ever 6k miles? Granted as you treat the bike with respect and ride it reasonable terms. Also how do you like your SMC690? Do you feel it would be able to do freeway speeds and not run out of steam? The more I look at the 990's, I am starting to like the 690 SMC's.

One more thing, sorry for being a pest, yet does $8k seem reasonable for a 990 with under 500 miles on one in clean condition? A few dealers on the west coast have some and after looking around $7-8k seems like a good price to me for one that is like new with hardly any usage.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Thank you guys for the replies, to find a bike either one is a ~200 mile drive for me, works well as I feel the need for a vacation coming up!

Zimm maintenance doesn't seem bad at all than. How long does a motor last in terms of miles with changing the oil every 3k miles and valves ever 6k miles? Granted as you treat the bike with respect and ride it reasonable terms. Also how do you like your SMC690? Do you feel it would be able to do freeway speeds and not run out of steam? The more I look at the 990's, I am starting to like the 690 SMC's.

One more thing, sorry for being a pest, yet does $8k seem reasonable for a 990 with under 500 miles on one in clean condition? A few dealers on the west coast have some and after looking around $7-8k seems like a good price to me for one that is like new with hardly any usage.
I don't think anyone has worn one of these motors yet- one blew up but the guy raced it. Some have seen worn roller rocker bearings on the valve adjustment, but it's an $80 part.

$8k for a 990 seems good. I've seen new ones for what, $12-13k? I paid $7400 for my used 690 from hollywood here on the forums almost 2 years ago.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I vote 690 duke

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think anyone has worn one of these motors yet- one blew up but the guy raced it. Some have seen worn roller rocker bearings on the valve adjustment, but it's an $80 part.

$8k for a 990 seems good. I've seen new ones for what, $12-13k? I paid $7400 for my used 690 from hollywood here on the forums almost 2 years ago.
That is good to hear on the motors, this is making it harder not to call into work for the rest of the week and go get one!

$8k for a 2008, price jumps up to MSRP for the 2010's. A 2010 duke 690 new for $9k.

After reading around and looking at pictures theSMC 690 seems to be fitting the bill more so than a Duke as I am sure I will want to take it off road some. Knowing me after all, I am still a kid at heart. Plus I am sure insurance might be a few bucks cheaper and leave a few dollars on the table for some mods. :clap:

Now to find a SMC 690, is one year better than the other? It appears to me the 2008's had a problem with the tank? :headscrat What about the 2009's, 2010's, 2011's?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Mine is an 09

Best bike I have ever owned

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
^^^^its cos he hasnt yet owned a 2010 bike ;)^^^^^
the 2010 has a few uprated parts than the 08-09 bikes

heres my 2010

you wont regret getting one of these dude

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Yummy!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How does the 690 SMC handle on roads and freeways? Be able to keep up with traffic without getting ran over? That is my biggest fear is I buy the big to find out it won't maintain freeway speeds. Or it will yet the bike is screaming the entire time something else I wouldn't be happy with.

·
Registered
295 Posts
It will do 75 mph easily on highway. Prob tops out around 118-120 from what I have heard. It has the jam for the highway, just not the comfort.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It will do 75 mph easily on highway. Prob tops out around 118-120 from what I have heard. It has the jam for the highway, just not the comfort.
Thank you! :clap: Hmm I wonder if a different seat, bar setup, and steering stabilizer will help it any, or maybe a change in the suspension than? :hmmm::headscrat

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
very much lacking highway comfort and yes definitely pulls 75-82 all day happily.

Highway, 60+mph work, id wear a full face unless you're out for a neck workout

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am kinda scared to ask, but how bad is the bike comfort at highway speeds? My travel is 10 miles on the freeway one way. I plan to ride the bike 3 out of the five days a week to work, then some touring on the weekneds :rofl: That short distance will be tolerable, well I am hoping should be? I plan to use a full face helmet, the only way to ride in my book.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
10 miles???? Thats it??? pfffft The smc is just fine on freeways and I've never had a problem with wind on the freeways and I can ride mine on the stock seat for about an hour before in starts to give me ass ache lol
But I can be in the twisties all day and never get it.... Sitting on one spot for and hour does it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
10 miles???? Thats it??? pfffft The smc is just fine on freeways and I've never had a problem with wind on the freeways and I can ride mine on the stock seat for about an hour before in starts to give me ass ache lol
But I can be in the twisties all day and never get it.... Sitting on one spot for and hour does it
Sweet, the way they were wording it made it sound like it was going to suck! :lol: Thanks man, now the hunt for a 2010 690 SMC is on and the mods begin :bannana:

I appreciate all of your guys help and wisdom on picking my first of hopefully many moto tards to come, again thank you! :bike::cheers::rock::pimp:

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Where bouts are you?? Long beach motorsports in CA has a white 2010 690 smc

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am in Las Vegas, NV. All the bikes I find are in California, road trip! :lol: Works for me, need a mini vacation

1 - 19 of 19 Posts