SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vitpilen is here!

I placed myself on the waiting list for 7999€+VAT

Question would be “Should I sell my 2007 SMR450 now? Or wait to get Vitpilen 701 first?”

I won’t get more than 3000€ for it, and I could miss it very much if Vitpilen won’t be as nimble as my 450.

· Read Only
1,276 Posts
Vitpilen is here!

I placed myself on the waiting list for 7999€+VAT

Question would be “Should I sell my 2007 SMR450 now? Or wait to get Vitpilen 701 first?”

I won’t get more than 3000€ for it, and I could miss it very much if Vitpilen won’t be as nimble as my 450.
“Selling an SMR450”
That’s crazy talk!

I’ve bought a new 701SM, (road) and a new SM450. (Race)
I’m still not selling my 525SM (converted SX) 1. Because it’s almost worthless 2. Because I love it 3. Because I have become a sentimental old fool.

· Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
“Selling an SMR450”
That’s crazy talk!

I’ve bought a new 701SM, (road) and a new SM450. (Race)
I’m still not selling my 525SM (converted SX) 1. Because it’s almost worthless 2. Because I love it 3. Because I have become a sentimental old fool.
The difference between 701 and 450 is huge?

I mean would you regret selling the 450 and keeping the 701 for an all around?

I don’t use my 450 to race...only fun bike around town.

· Read Only
1,276 Posts
The difference is huge, but in reality, I always take the 701 when riding on the street.
More power=more fun.
The extra weight doesn’t make as much difference if you aren’t jumping/braking as late as possible/generally riding 10/10ths.

Again, in reality, I don’t think you’d ride your 450 much, if at all.

Some people hate the extra weight, but I feel the need to not ride at the limit on the street, so I ride with a little in reserve until I have a view, (say exiting a corner) then the extra grunt is what I enjoy.

I also enjoy riding 3000km+ between oil changes.

· Registered
56 Posts
The difference is huge, but in reality, I always take the 701 when riding on the street.
More power=more fun.
The extra weight doesn’t make as much difference if you aren’t jumping/braking as late as possible/generally riding 10/10ths.

Again, in reality, I don’t think you’d ride your 450 much, if at all.

Some people hate the extra weight, but I feel the need to not ride at the limit on the street, so I ride with a little in reserve until I have a view, (say exiting a corner) then the extra grunt is what I enjoy.

I also enjoy riding 3000km+ between oil changes.
Interesting comments Skypig

As someone who has both (I'm kinda envious - two damned nice bikes you have there) you're in the perfect position to answer some questions on the differences

On paper the 701 makes 74 bhp and the 450 makes 63 bhp (so ~15% more power for the 701)

The 701 weighs 145kg and the FS450 weighs 105kg (701 is ~28% heavier)

So is this how they feel when ridden?

Does the 701 feel roughly a quarter heavier? If so does this in turn mean its less playful and clumsy when compared to the 450 or can you simply be more aggressive and slide it around? For me a big part of the attraction to a supermoto bike is the ability to slide it around.

And does the 15% power difference between the two feel like more in real world conditions? Is it still quite noticeable despite the extra weight of the 701? Does yours have any mods (exhaust, PCV etc) - I cant remember?

· Read Only
1,276 Posts
Interesting comments Skypig

As someone who has both (I'm kinda envious - two damned nice bikes you have there) you're in the perfect position to answer some questions on the differences

On paper the 701 makes 74 bhp and the 450 makes 63 bhp (so ~15% more power for the 701)

The 701 weighs 145kg and the FS450 weighs 105kg (701 is ~28% heavier)

So is this how they feel when ridden?

Does the 701 feel roughly a quarter heavier? If so does this in turn mean its less playful and clumsy when compared to the 450 or can you simply be more aggressive and slide it around? For me a big part of the attraction to a supermoto bike is the ability to slide it around.

And does the 15% power difference between the two feel like more in real world conditions? Is it still quite noticeable despite the extra weight of the 701? Does yours have any mods (exhaust, PCV etc) - I cant remember?
Hi,
First, embarrassingly, I haven’t ridden my FS450 yet. I’ve been lockwiring, fitting sliders, handguards, riding other bikes and working (damn work. Time/money pick one!)

My 701 has pipe/inlet/dyno tune. 79.78 RWHP (on the reputable dyno guys machine, on good 98 RON Aussie Fuel)
My 525 race bike is 54 RWHP on a similar dyno, same Fuel.
I have also fitted Sumo wheels/brakes on my 450 EXC and ridden it on the road.

As I’ve alluded to, I’m not the fastest rider, particularly on the road where I’m interested in maintaining my licence, and “alive” status. (11/10ths around a corner to find a farmer doing a 3 Point turn on his tractor is not my idea of the perfect last seconds of life. Maybe a heart attack having sex?)

You can really notice the extra weight of the 701. And the less weight compared to most other road/sport bikes. There is no downside to less weight, so I wish the 701 weighed the same as the comp bikes, but on the road, the way I ride, it’s not terrible.

Again the massive, and usable grunt of the 701 is better, for me, on the road.

Sum up: The lighter bikes feel more lively and fun especially at lower speeds and at 10/10ths. At higher speeds, with real world constraints the grunty 701 is hard to beat and my choice for the road.

“Horses for courses”, and personal preference.
If you are backing it in on the street, the lighter bike might be the better one.

· Registered
4,001 Posts
Keep em both........ they are both different bikes and can and do different but the same things...... I love my Sumo's....:anim_peep:

as you can see at one time I was going to sell my 525SMR... It's a factory unit and still in mint condition.

But I have ridden more miles in the 17 701SM in one year than all of the miles in 10+yrs on the SMR........... and since no one will pay me anything near it's worth I will keep it for a spare and or a back up. And for each and every Mod done on the 701 it gets lighter and runs better... it really is a woot to ride the power potential is unreal if done correctly and 17- motors have less vibes than you can understand until you ride one properly set up. Cheers:D

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.