SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

I'm almost new in the forum and also new in Sumo. I'm from Madrid (Spain). I've been riding in cross and Enduro since I was very young, however the age and fear makes me try with Supermotard instead of being a bat crazy with the cross and enduro, yes I know what you are thinking, Sumo is not far from those disciplines, but ridding in a circuit is more save than go crazy in the forest...hehehe.

Anyways, I bought a Husqvarna SMR 510 '08 which seems to be a beast in any forum I saw looking for some info. The thing is that the bike go just well, smooth, quite, and lot of NO fun adjectives. It has power, but not that much I've read everywhere (including youtube). Wheelies?? whats that!?, I thought it will get up in 1st 2nd 3rd, but nothing, so reading in supermotojunkies and cafehusky about power related issues, I saw that everybody set the "power up kit" (remove the O2 sensor adn exhaust plug, remapping the bike...).

As far as I know, the last owner told me that the bike was de-restricted which means for him to remove the DB killer and the "block throttle". So I was wondering that maybe that is the reason why the bike is just a cub and not a bear, because it is not 100% de-restricted. anyway, I was wondering also that maybe as I'm from spain, the limitations in my bike are different than the US or AUS, CA...bikes. So it would be great to have some info from an ES member or something as well as your recommendations and opinions. I'm not sure if an ES dealer will know about a "power up kit".

I really think that I should expect a lot of power from this bike, it is a 510 cc with around 55hp...so I think I should be doing wheelies not wanting to!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Sit a little further back? Just a guess

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I really think that I should expect a lot of power from this bike, it is a 510 cc with around 55hp...so I think I should be doing wheelies not wanting to!
Hello.
Sorry it is 510cc and in stock it has only about 50 hv....In stock there is no lots off power, not even in powerkit up. No i have 530cckit+all others blings, in one pike bigger front sprocket it will power wheelie in 3 gear. If i want to wheelie
It will should doo power wheelies in stock power kit up, stock sprocket maybe in 2 gear, if you want to make wheelies, spap that clutch, remove some weight at back wheel. Or some like that

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys!

@motorg525 my question is not about technique is more about if what I have is what it is or if I should expect something more...

So I guess this is not like the 2stroke cross bikes hu...where the bike just take off without effort....(sorry for my lack of knowleadge with this bike btw), but I though it will be like an untamable horse..heheh, lot of expectations here I guess.. :))

Dont get me wrong, the bike works well, but it can be ride without effort you know, I don't feel the adrenaline/fear of the usual cross bikes.

beside my expectations, I have a lot of fun with it. ;-)

Anyways! thanks for answering!!

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Does it have aftermarket Arrow exhaust?! If not, its still choked up!

My 510 eats stock 450's and runs with built one's all day long! Something is missing in the power up kit!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Make sure the power up kit and derestriction has been done. 02 sensor should be removed and the wire leading to it should be plugged. Behind the air filter there is a cage that restricts the airflow through a dime sized hole. Take that out but leave the mesh screen in. Throttle should be able to turn at out. To make sure the throttle restrictor is removed, turn the throttle it should be about exactly a quarter turn.

If it hasn't been done then you need to do it. Really the only thing you need to buy for a "power up kit" is the plug for the exhuast where the O2 sensor went and a resistor of some sort to plug into the wire that used to lead to the O2 sensor. A lot dealers have these and they are like $10 USD. A "full" power up kit includes an Arrow exhaust without a cat in it. You can get just remove the cat from the stock exhaust if you don't want to spend the money for the Arrow exhaust.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi guys! sorry for my late reply, I was on leave.

Thank you all for all your replies and suggestions. Definitely the O2 sensor still there, I guess the cage of the air filter hasn't been removed (will check tomorrow morning) and the catalytic converter unfortunately in the '08 models seems like they need "surgery", so the best would be to get a new muffler, of course remove the O2 sensor (that will be the hardest part, dealers in spain are not very...how to say it, aware of this kind of things). The throttle is OK, already "uncorked".

Do you guys can help me out sending me the Ref. number of the plug of the exhaust that I would need to order? that would be really helpful.

Thanks again for your replies! I really had fun with my husky, but definitely there is more power than I'm enjoying!

I'll keep you all posted!

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Once you have it uncorked. It will breath fire!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK the air filter cage was Ok! so one step less to have my bike running like a dragon.

I think i just need now to remove the O2 sensor and remap the bike. I've called a dealer in ES but he was like "WTF are you saying about what sensor??"...yep, very competent.

However, I found this on ebay, just wanted to share with you guys, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oxygen-o2-s...68?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3a7226885c

O2 sensor plugs to remove the stock one.

Thanks once again for your help!

·
Registered
109 Posts
It will do power wheelies in third gear when you get it properly derestricted. When you remove the o2 sensor the resistor plug goes into the connector the o2 sensor was plugged into and puts the ECU into the default race map mode. Trust me, you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah! can't wait!!, but I would need a month or so to get it completly uncorked, unfortunately I have a couple of friend's weddings.. (really..why people used to think that the rest of the humans are as happy as they are when the reality is that a wedding is just a huge spend and the most boring event ever??:rant: )

At least I got the Ref. numbers of the O2 plug (8000A6750) and enxhaust's screw (8000A7724), already ordered both. About the exhaust muffler, yep, it's on the list! next month hopefully with no weddings ahead must be the right moment (with my girldfriend's permission, of course:Argue:).

I'm glad to hear that my expectations will be fulfilled!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Alex,
If you need help your bike check saharamotor.com and their online store endurorecambios.com.
Give them a call if you need. I'm from Portugal and buy all the parts there. They?re very helpfull and know Husqvarna's a lot.
Regarding your question, with the bike unrestricted and remapped accordingly you should do power wheelies in 3rd and 4th gears. If you ride mostly in circuits go down on the front sprocket and/or up on the rear.
I have a 2010 with the power up kit installed and double titanium Arrow's slipons and it's a blast.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts