SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've just got my first supermoto after a good few years on road bikes. Sold my 2006 z1000 and got a husqvarna smr 570, had it delivered to my mates workshop an started work on it, short mudguard, new graphics, painting wheels and swingarm black usual stuff. Anyway to cut a long story short a couple of days before I was due to get it on the road I was starting it and it kicked back and it broke my ankle! Anyway the question is do I keep it, get a good pair of boots and perceiver with it or do I sell it and get something with an electric start. I didn't even get a chance to ride it on the road!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Get proper boots.
Learn the right technic to kick a thumper...
...or maybe the bike is testing you? :hmmm:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi!

Hi,

What starting procedure are you using?

Does your bike have a Dellorto or a Mikuni carby?

When I got my 570 with a Dellorto, I spent a whole weekend kicking it to try and start it , I was unsuccessful by the way and ended up with bloody sore feet and ankles.

After lots of research I now start my 570 this way -

(1) Ignition off.

(2) Choke on ( it is really a fuel enrichment cuircuit )

(3) manual decomp held in.

(4) Kick through 5 times.

(5) release manual decomp.

(6) ignition on.

(7) choke off.

(8) The engine will stop rotating to just before top dead center, so just roll the motor past top dead center, you will hear a click and feel it in the kick starter, only need to move kick starter about 1 inch to 1 and a half inches.

(9) Now you are ready, one good kick and it should start, even kicking these bikes takes time to learn you are really just pushing it through with a strong push, you should not need to be kicking like a madman like I first was.

Of coarse if you have a Mikuni it should be even easier, a couple of kicks with the choke on until it goes pop then choke off and one kick should see it starting.

My bike had a week ignition when I first got it, I lay the spark plug on the head and kicked it through, the spark had yellow tinges around the edges of the spark kernel hard to see but I could see it.

The spark kernel should be a strong blue colour.

Cheers,
Dave.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My fault

I had no problems at all starting from cold, choke on, couple of kicks then choke off and it will be away no probs. it's just when it's hot I struggle, I know it was my fault, frustrated and not sticking to starting procedure. It has the Dellorto carb. It's a 2004 model when I got it I didn't think it would have but have since read online that they stuck the Dellortos on the last of the 2004 bikes. Would a quality pair of mx boots save this from happening again? I was only wearing steel toe capped work boots when I broke my ankle
Any advice on hot starting?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I always ride in my mx boots (sidi).

I would have a broken ankle too if it was not for mx boots. I once crashed my old suzuki DR600 and my ankle was somehow pinned between the frame. Could feel the bike twisting on the ankle hard when i fell down, the bike on top off me. The mx-boots i was wearing would not flex enough to break the ankle. And i had to wait for my friend to stop and lift the bike off me, had the ankle stuck under the whole bike and could not lift it myself... :headshake

So, never ride alone on the trails, and wear proper gear while riding!

·
Registered
81 Posts
The starting procedure will make it so you never get kicked. The only part you really need to know for safety is that you always roll it just past the compression stroke with the decompressor pulled. As long as you follow that step, you won't get hurt.

The hot starting is a bit of a chore if it's flooded. I know they say to never touch the throttle, but my 640 will only ever start if you put a little tension on the cable - like less than 1/16th throttle, but it won't start with it completely slack.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts