SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys how's it goin, new to the forum and supermoto show. I just had a few questions for you guys. I recently decided to buy a street bike and was browsing and found a few supermoto bikes that caught my eye and decided to research them a bit. I used to race motocross so I figured it fit me perfect to get a sm bike.

The two I am looking at are 1: 2010 husqvarna smr 450 and 2: 2007 sm 610.
Only two decent bikes Around my area for sale.

As for what I want them for, I'm looking to do all street riding. Basically all my buddies own sport bikes and I'm looking to at least not be left off in the horizon if they decide to mash it. Also might do some highway riding so was wondering if they still had power at like 70 mph.

Another thing i read a few places is that the 450 had a 1/4 mile time of 13.1 where the 610 ran a 13.5, anyone confirm this?

Also how is the maintenance on both and how many miles do these machines last.

Thanks for any input guys!

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
Hey guys how's it goin, new to the forum and supermoto show. I just had a few questions for you guys. I recently decided to buy a street bike and was browsing and found a few supermoto bikes that caught my eye and decided to research them a bit. I used to race motocross so I figured it fit me perfect to get a sm bike.

The two I am looking at are 1: 2010 husqvarna smr 450 and 2: 2007 sm 610.
Only two decent bikes Around my area for sale.

As for what I want them for, I'm looking to do all street riding. Basically all my buddies own sport bikes and I'm looking to at least not be left off in the horizon if they decide to mash it. Also might do some highway riding so was wondering if they still had power at like 70 mph.

Another thing i read a few places is that the 450 had a 1/4 mile time of 13.1 where the 610 ran a 13.5, anyone confirm this?

Also how is the maintenance on both and how many miles do these machines last.

Thanks for any input guys!
Lol, you might as well get the sportbiking out of your system before you disappoint yourself by expecting one of these bikes to do something that it wasn't meant to do. You'll hear a lot of stories on here about people who have given up on sportbikes for supermotos or put the sportbike on the back burner.

Long story short, a supermoto will eat up sportbikes in the corners, but won't stand much of a chance at all in the straights. Depending on gearing I believe that the 13 second 1/4 mile times are very feasible. If you're gonna be cruising down the highway I would recommend the Husky 610.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I should have explained more. I understand that these bikes are built for curvy road ways, I Also know that these top out at mid 90s maybe a bit more and that they won't have near the acceleration through the gears as a crotch rocket. I just want to be able to still have a little pep at around 70ish.

Sorry hard to put in words what I mean lol.

·
Registered
205 Posts
You just want a little pep at 70? You're totally in luck - that's exactly what you'll have with the 610....a little pep...a very little pep. But you'll get to 70 pretty quickly. 50hp bikes don't do high speeds and high speeds start at about 70.

Sounds like you should be looking at a bigger cc bike like a hypermotard or the much more affordable and equally fun sv650.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No bigger bore supermoto's around my area.
Thanks for answering my question!
Are both bikes viable on the freeway? And if not how bout with a sprocket change?
Not too worried about comfort btw.
Won't be doing too much freeway at all, just maybe a occasional ride across town and maybe a twice a year trip that's about 2 and half hours away (I know im pushing it).

·
Registered
104 Posts
Continuous commutes on the freeway for the 450 is a certain death sentance for that motor. Being based on motocross racers, these engines love hard acceleration and short bursts. Running at 9000+ rpm continuously will mean rebuilding every few months. (overhaul interval is 40hrs). The 610 has/ had cam chain & tensioner issues which require frequent checking. Want a commuter? Get a DRZ.

·
Registered
98 Posts
if your looking for an easy going street supermoto you want to be looking more towards the husky 610/630's, ktm 625/640/690 and drz's. Personally i think drz's are a bit under powered but they do a good job. if you can id wait for a big bore ktm smc to come along, i could cruise on my 625 at 78 and i still hit 116 with 1 tooth of the front, and also racked up 11000 miles on it :D

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sounds like for what you plan on using the bike for, the 610 would be the better choice (of the two), neither will be great on an open highway. The 450 will have more frequent maintenance, and rebuilds...but will be much more fun/race oriented. The 610 will not be as quick as the 450 but you will get more riding out of it at highway speeds. Just keep up with the cam chain as someone stated earlier. :thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts