SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Husqvarna SMR 450 from my buddy in San Francisco. I'm currently living in Denver. He said that the front wheel will come right up in most of the gears just by getting on the throttle, but I can't get it to do so in any gear. I'm not trying to do wheelies, but it seems like I'm not getting the same level of power he said he got. He weights only about 140lbs but I only weight 165lbs.

Is it the altitude? Will the JD jet kit allow me to correct for the altitude to get that lost power back, or is it just the way it will be at Denver and higher elevations? Please help! I feel like I'm missing out on the party.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Could be the higher altitude but i have noticed that people either exaggerate a bit or will rev it to the moon and dump the clutch. I had several friend talk of power wheelies on a stock Drz 400 and when i got mine i almost stalled it leaving the dealer parking lot. I had to rev it more than i thought just to get it going. After i opened it up a bit with a fcr 39mm carb and air box mod as well as a full yosh it is much better but still not the wheelie machine they described. Then i watched them ride they were getting on the rear pegs and red lining it dumping the clutch just to bring it up then when at the balance point they would shift up and ride, not something i wanted to try on a public road. Back to the jetting issue im sure the altitude that you in is lowering power significantly and a jet kit would help im sure but i would expect it to transform into a 500hp arm jerking insane ride. But with a jet kit mod I would look for a cleaner running and idling first few gears with some fair revs wheelie machine. If wheelieing is something that you would like to try consider a few teeth bigger rear sprocket or drop a tooth on the front and that might elevate the front a little easier. Good luck :bannana::bannana::bannana:

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Bone stock

Power up 1st: check
Power up 2nd: sometimes check (check everytime if you chop the throttle and then whack it open)
Power up 3rd: Nope...not without a lot of encouragement and a hill
4th...5th...6th...forget it.

With the power up kit, it should loft it 1st and 2nd every time, 3rd occasionally, 4th rarely, 5th and 6th...forget it.

The 450 is a revver, not a torque monster. Now if it were a 510, I'd say you'd be able just power up 1-4th. Race a 510, and you will see where the 450 can pull the 510 through about 4th. Then the 510 starts to real you in.

·
Registered
557 Posts
of course the elevation is gonna change the bikes power.... its gonna go WAY RICH for one (LESS AIR = MORE FUEL) and youll NEVER get "all" the power back even after jetting... its just how its gonna be... :rant:
i moved from 500ft to 3200-5200ft and my zrx is the same as your HUSQ... it used to power up in first without a problem but now even clutching it wont bring the wheel up much more than a foot or two... im gonna jump into the carbs one of these days and drop my needles a notch and run my pilot screw in a turn or so but just havent got to it just yet...
as for my cr500 tard, it was already a little lean so moving here helped out a bit ... :thumbup::bannana:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I'm going to put in a K&N air filter first and see if that helps lean it out a bit. I ordered the JD jet kit for it too, but somebody pointed out that if I lean it out and then try to ride down at sea level I'll have a major problem.

Will just rejetting the factory bike get SOME of the power back? I realize some of it's gone for good at these altitudes.

·
Registered
557 Posts
its NEVER gonna be happy at both elevations..... so where ever youre gonna ride it more is what you need to jet it for....
you can get SOME of the power back but youll never get ALL of it back like it has at sea level :headshake

·
Registered
3 Posts
Altitude makes a HUGE difference. You're down about 16-17% up in Denver. I used to live up there and felt it made about a gear difference in my cars compared to Sea Level.

If the bike is jetted for sea level, its also running rich. Consider re-jetting it but be extremely careful not to go back to sea level without re-tuning otherwise it will run extremely lean down there.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I just bought a Husqvarna SMR 450 from my buddy in San Francisco. I'm currently living in Denver. He said that the front wheel will come right up in most of the gears just by getting on the throttle, but I can't get it to do so in any gear. I'm not trying to do wheelies, but it seems like I'm not getting the same level of power he said he got. He weights only about 140lbs but I only weight 165lbs.

Is it the altitude? Will the JD jet kit allow me to correct for the altitude to get that lost power back, or is it just the way it will be at Denver and higher elevations? Please help! I feel like I'm missing out on the party.
i live at 6000ft it it took a lot of power out of the bike with the thin air. if your bike is carb, you should go to smaller jets or it will run fat and hot at the altitude where you live. my bike will go 195kph at sea level and only 160kph at 6000ft, im efi which compensates for the altitude...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts