SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Id like to share my findings regarding Break-in on the Husqvarna 701 SM.
Feel free to share your input..

Husqvarna's instructions:
Maximum Engine Speed During the first 620 miles: 6,000 RPM (with no rpm guage!)
Avoid Fully opening the throttle.

I spoke to Husqvarna/KTM of North America, Who confirmed same information as my dealership,

*The 701 is shipped with Motorex Sport Max 4T 10w-40 Mineral Based Oil for break in*

ANYONE WHO PLANS TO CHANGE THEIR OIL BEFORE 620 Miles MUST USE A NON SYNTHETIC OIL

(There is no mention of this oil in the manual as your intended to wait until 620 miles for your first oil change)

With this Knowledge I am going to drop my oil at a few intervals within the 620.

What started this whole investigation was this youtube video:
How To Break In Your New Motorcycle Engine | How To Prevent Oil Burning (701 Supermoto)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Xf9wNnNb4E

He recommends running Conventional Oil for 1500-2000 miles..
and completing the "Hard Break-in" which is explained very well.. (and makes sense)

Would anyone like to share their knowledge on the subject, voice opinion?!
Share how you've "broken In" your bike?

Also, Now that Husqvarna has changed from BelRay to Motorex they recommend the Motorex Cross Power 4T 10w-60 Fully Synthetic after the Break-in Period.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't understand why this topic needs to be re-discussed over and over nauseam all over the internet. I also don't see any reason to second guess the words of the engineers at the manufacturers, who have laid out their recommendations in detail in the owners manual.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
#1, Nowhere on the internet are you going to find what oil comes from the factory in the bike. I Searched long and hard.

#2, They have not laid out their recommendations in detail. There is no instruction on steady speeds, modulating speed, loading the engine... a vague 6,000 Cap.

#3 Husqvarna runs such an extensive filtration system in order to reach these higher mileage intervals. 2 Filters and 2 Screens.
But to me for the cost of oil, Id like to get these harmful containments out of the bike. Can't Hurt Right?!

I'm in no way deviating from Husqvarna's recommendations. I am simply trying to put more precautions in place. Possibly obtain some good info from the internet by posting here..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Like your really going to keep your bike for 100,000 miles to where any of this matters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
... I'm upgrading from a 2006 Suzuki DRZ :headscrat , 10 years of ownership is more than realistic for me.

Regardless, there are reports of 690/701's burning up to 1qt of oil every 1500 miles.
Any burning of oil means its leaving containments behind, and is not good. (though KTM will consider some oil burning acceptable).

just trying to better my odds to a healthy, lengthy ownership.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I did a hard break in varying load and engine braking. Did my oil change to the recommended oil at the recommended time. Just have to rack up some miles to see how it payed off will update

·
Read Only
1,275 Posts
I don't understand why this topic needs to be re-discussed over and over nauseam all over the internet. I also don't see any reason to second guess the words of the engineers at the manufacturers, who have laid out their recommendations in detail in the owners manual.
“ad nauseam” is a feature of the fleeting world of digital communications.

“Second guessing the manufactures” more a case of differing priorities potentially:
The manufacturers prime reason for recommending a certain procedure might be to avoid warrenty claims. Potentially the “hard break in” technique might cause an extra few claims per 100 000 when a marginal part fails, or someone is stupidly “hard”, compared to being extra gentle.

They are getting around many warrenty claims brought about by gentle running in by claiming an extraordinary oil consumption is “acceptable”.

My priority is maximum power and minimum oil consumption.

·
Read Only
1,275 Posts
Like your really going to keep your bike for 100,000 miles to where any of this matters?

The proper break in is designed to assist in ring seal.
This can result in more power, and less oil consumption from day one. Two things I’d prefer.

Nothing to do with keeping the bike for 100,000 miles.

·
Read Only
1,275 Posts

*The 701 is shipped with Motorex Sport Max 4T 10w-40 Mineral Based Oil for break in*

ANYONE WHO PLANS TO CHANGE THEIR OIL BEFORE 620 Miles MUST USE A NON SYNTHETIC OIL

(There is no mention of this oil in the manual as your intended to wait until 620 miles for your first oil change)
Fabulous info.
Failed to get it from the dealer or the internet.
Thanks.

·
Read Only
1,275 Posts
I did a hard break in varying load and engine braking. Did my oil change to the recommended oil at the recommended time. Just have to rack up some miles to see how it payed off will update

Likewise.

Changed to Motul 5100 Semi synthetic at about 1000km/600m

Seemed to go from near the top of the sight glass, to near the bottom in the next 3000km. So using “some”, but not much. Never added any.
As far as I could tell, my older 690 used none.

Changed again with Semi Synth @ 4000km. Planning Full Synthetic next change.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I honestly think the engineers figured out the proper oil and Break in procedure. However the rider breaking the bike in would need to vary the load and ride the bike (downshifting) and giving it gas ( not wot).

·
Read Only
1,275 Posts
Always a controversial subject.

One of the reasons for so many opinions is the fact that modern engines are so well designed and put together, and modern oils are so good that it’s almost impossible to do anything catastrophic, no matter how it’s “broken in”.

Another is the fact, that the technique for running in cams, for eg, is opposite to the best way of running in rings.
The way one chooses to run in an engine depends on ones priorities, beliefs and knowledge*. (Knowledge, especially based on experience, is hard to gain for the reasons outlined.)

Also, most people only ride their bike, so say in an extreme case, two guys stepped up from 400’s to 701s. One bike broken in, in a way that promotes maximum “ring seal” and power while another was “glazed up” with poor ring seal/power, both riders might be happy with their individual bikes, and promote “their” technique. (Provided they never swapped rides.)

The LC4 engine has had more of an issue with “using” oil than most modern engines. That’s why the great interest in correct break in. The more info the better, then choose what suits you.

*My priorities are ring seal (for power and minimum oil blow by)
I believe that modern cam systems and crank assemblies require very little, if any, breaking in.
My knowledge now includes that 701’s are delivered with mineral oil. (Thank you oemplus, and SMJ)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fabulous info.
Failed to get it from the dealer or the internet.
Thanks.
No problem, I figured that’s essentially what we’re all here for!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I did a hard break in varying load and engine braking.
Same here, but after 100km i swapped oil, Belray 10w40 mineral. Just to be sure i actually rode on mineral oil.

Today after 7500km it barely use any oil. Documented all oil swaps and refills, total usage since new is around 300ml, almost like a small beer. :lol:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Always a controversial subject.

One of the reasons for so many opinions is the fact that modern engines are so well designed and put together, and modern oils are so good that it’s almost impossible to do anything catastrophic, no matter how it’s “broken in”.

Another is the fact, that the technique for running in cams, for eg, is opposite to the best way of running in rings.
The way one chooses to run in an engine depends on ones priorities, beliefs and knowledge*. (Knowledge, especially based on experience, is hard to gain for the reasons outlined.)

Also, most people only ride their bike, so say in an extreme case, two guys stepped up from 400’s to 701s. One bike broken in, in a way that promotes maximum “ring seal” and power while another was “glazed up” with poor ring seal/power, both riders might be happy with their individual bikes, and promote “their” technique. (Provided they never swapped rides.)

The LC4 engine has had more of an issue with “using” oil than most modern engines. That’s why the great interest in correct break in. The more info the better, then choose what suits you.

*My priorities are ring seal (for power and minimum oil blow by)
I believe that modern cam systems and crank assemblies require very little, if any, breaking in.
My knowledge now includes that 701’s are delivered with mineral oil. (Thank you oemplus, and SMJ)

so for race track only purpuose is recommended "hard break in"?

dealer told me very soft riding first laps and change oil after first hour of use :headscrat

·
Read Only
1,275 Posts
so for race track only purpuose is recommended "hard break in"?

dealer told me very soft riding first laps and change oil after first hour of use :headscrat
My personal preference for all bikes is the so called “hard break in”. (My 701 has never been on the track)

Again, personally, I feel the race track is the perfect place to run in a new bike. I’d just ride at 9/10ths and avoid high revs.

Thirdly, I think the worst thing you can do* is idle the bike for any longer than is essential, and the second worst is constant throttle “cruising”, which is often the norm on the street.

*Ok, the worst is rev it high when the engine is cold. Hopefully no one would do that.

PS. Changing the oil, and filters after an hour is a good idea. Use mineral oil as described by the OP.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Iam 46, i have never lost an engine in anything with a internal combustion engine because I didn’t break it in perfect. Worry warts- just change the oil when it looks dirty-,it’s that easy. I love my 1290 SuperDuke- it has a vertical window that you can see the color of the oil.

·
Read Only
1,275 Posts
Great video

I like that they have references/sources for much of their information and explain the thinking that forms their recommendations.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
At 2200 Mi... no oil consumption and No Synthetic oil either. Look at the suggested oil rating needed for this engine. But an oil with a higher rating... and I use DELO 15/40 Std not the synthetic. Shifts pretty darn nice now too.... :D

1 - 20 of 51 Posts