SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there,
i have a 2005 Husqvarna 610sm which i heavily abuse every time i ride it, it cant be helped as the voices tell me to do crazy stuff. (is it normal to talk to urself inside ur lid)
however i am used to bigger supersports bikes and this is my first motard and i have started to pull decent wheelies but lacking travel distance, i want more power to pull wheelies longer and easier....should i have to chang sprocket size?..or maybe tire size,curently 150/60/17?... i dont really want to loose top end as this lil puppy only does 95mph, i dont want to sell it as its so much fun although i have been looking at the KTM 690.
Should i have to change the bike for a bigger cc?
Was thinking about a power commander but Dont really have a clue, Please help summer is on its way!:bannana::bike:

:hmmm:What would you do?............ what are my available options? :headscrat

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@ xurious
thanks, spend half my life watching other guys pull great wheelies but its a bit different when ya on the bike ya self.
maybe u have some wheelie tips you could share with me or if not that type of rider maybe u could share some video links with myself and others that might be wanting to learn?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah checked it out but doesnt really help or answer any of my questions,:headscrat
i understand about finding the balance point and the right amount of gas but how far do i have to push myself before finding it? risk fuckin my bike up? i thought i would have more control with more power.
and to be honest with you when that front wheel comes up i havent even thought about using the brakes.
are there many different styles in puling a wheelie?

·
Registered
69 Posts
i understand about finding the balance point and the right amount of gas but how far do i have to push myself before finding it? risk fuckin my bike up? i thought i would have more control with more power.
That's the reason you cover/use the rear brake. So you DON'T loop it. Look in the rider tips section. You'll find its all about body position, and brake/throttle control. Power has very little to do with it ONCE you get to the balance point. You have enough power with that bike.

Power has a lot to do with wheelies if you're doing power wheelies. Which is what it sounds like you're doing. Just search wheelies and you'll find more info than you can read.

·
Registered
427 Posts
And remember wheelies are more stable at higher speeds. the slower youre going the "harder" it is to remain at balance point. which could be way up there. i know on sitdown wheelies on my 650l youre pointing straight at the sky

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm not a wheelie expert. I can do stupidly slow wheelies on a mountain bike, but not on my ktm. I used to do 12 o'clock ones on my dirtbike, but I've lost that ability.

It indeed is easier to get to the balancing point at 4 and 5th gear. Being very high in the rev's helps with this, because if you "Oh shit" the high engine braking helps to bring the front end back down quickly.

It also helps because wind resistance keeps you up and slows you down. It's like riding up a hill (great place to do wheelies. You can go really far back and not loop out if the hill is steep.) DON'T practice doing wheelies downhill.

But really learning to trust and use your back brake will prevent all sorts of chaos.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks guys i guess i just have to keep going at it! i think yes i have been doing power wheelies and need to slow down and think about what im doing just finding it really hard to get the bike up at slow speeds, so yeah i guess i have to stick my arse right to the back then clutch it up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
thanks guys i guess i just have to keep going at it! i think yes i have been doing power wheelies and need to slow down and think about what im doing just finding it really hard to get the bike up at slow speeds, so yeah i guess i have to stick my arse right to the back then clutch it up.

When you normally do your power wheelies, what gear are you in? How high do you get it? Are you able to shift into third, fourth and fifth to keep it up?

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
Best way to learn wheelies, buy a 50, it'll teach you the three things you really need to know

1. To cover the brake without thinking about it, every time.
2. Throttle control
3. Being comfortable at balance point

·
Registered
164 Posts
Sounds just like my cousin. He rides a CBR 929rr and he pretty much just does power wheelies everywhere. Never hits the balance point because hes been "spoiled" with the power and doesnt need to get to the balance point. Which means he also never covers the brake either. Lol he got on my bike and pulled the front wheel up for like 20 feet and it came right back down, "What am I doing wrong?" he says. Lol.

You are just going to need practice with getting the bike up to the balance point and using smooth throttle contol to keep it there,

MAKE SURE YOU COVER YOUR REAR BRAKE!!!!

Once you get the bike to balance point you no longer need to use power to keep the wheelie going. You just cruise essentially.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah its all starting to make more sense now, i been learning back to front! nothing new there then.
some very interesting links people,
and i thank you for the advise, would still greatly recieve more info that is placed on this thread.

conclusion: Shift arse back to find comfortable position for balance point.
Grow bigger balls in order to go all out and find the tipping point.
Learn to bring it back with the rear brake.
note to self "Remember to use the brake"!

Wish me luck, this could get messy and expensive.
Brapp! Brapp! Brapp!:Funny:

·
Registered
164 Posts
You will feel the bike get very light when you get to the balance point. You will know what I mean when it happens and you will probably let off or hit the brakes when you feel it. Lol Use the brake!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Best way to learn wheelies, buy a 50, it'll teach you the three things you really need to know

1. To cover the brake without thinking about it, every time.
2. Throttle control
3. Being comfortable at balance point
Perfect!! I'll steal my sons xr50 and start practicing!!!Training wheels and all...:D

But seriously, I am going to steal his 50 and start practicing

1 - 20 of 26 Posts