SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just picked up a 510 and as you can all imagine I am trying to get it legally on the road as soon as possible. I went on progressive (who is my current insurance provider) and did up a quote online. Throughout the process I made sure that ALL of the info is correct, but when I get to the confirmation screen I noticed the computer automatically changed the year of the bike to 2008.

I called, they tried to override it and do it manually and even progressive cannot get it to stay at 2009!?!?!? Has anyone else had this problem? The title says 2009, the bike is a 2009, the vin on the bike is the same as on the title, the 10th digit is 9... I cannot for the life of me figure out why it keeps auto changing to 2008. Anyone have any thoughts!?

I just wanna ride. :(

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
As long as the VIN is right on the insurance card, I wouldn't worry about it. Insurance is probably cheaper on the year older bike anyways.

·
Registered
32 Posts
mine is insured as a 2009 te510 because they didnt have smr in their database. i was told not to worry about it. ive got rider insurance

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Had no issues with my 10 510! but i am with State Farm!

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I had to spell out Husqvarna for the Nationwide girl. She did the typical, "They make motorcycles too?" :lol: She faxed me a temp insurance card and I rode it to the DMV the next morning, and rode it legally to work 15 minutes later. Smooth as silk.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Progressive has always given me some of the highest motorcycle insurance quotes of any company I've called. Pretty funny since they tout themselves as motorcycle friendly. I have Country Companies and my agent had no trouble insuring my 2010 SMR510. The VIN should tell their computer exactly what the vehicle is.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so it seems a ton of other people have done this with no problems...

problem is, if the insurance says 2008 and I go to NYS DMV.. they will tell me to go home and fix it. The lady at progressive said they are working on it, but if it's not done by tomorrow I'm pulling all my vehicles and going to someone else.

Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
okay - so I called my agent, and said... "if this isn't resolved by the end of business today I am going to State Farm with all my vehicles tomorrow"

Not as a threat... but as the truth because I don't have time for all this BS. I want to ride the 510.. bad.

She called back in 20 minutes and said she had it taken care of, emailing my insurance card now. :D

·
Registered
444 Posts
That is one of the problems when you don't have an agent, like Progressive, or nationwide when it is just someone on the phone or the internet.

Glad to hear they were able to fix it!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do have an agent.. but I tried to get it done on my own over the weekend so I could hit DMV Monday AM.

The agent had the same problem I did, but she apparently go the higher ups to take care of it.

Now it just needs to stop pouring rain.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I JUST bought an 08 510 smr and had no issues insuring it online with my R1.. a whole 15.38 a month WOOHOO..

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
I have full coverage on my 510 and 690 through progressive for $250 a year, cheaper than any other quote I could get.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts