SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2010 510 smr.i've put 9500 hard kms on it,dropped it a few times ;) and yesterday i ride around for awhile park and it won't start.key turns on everything lights up i can hear the pump kick on but ignition button does nothing. tryed to bombstart it but nothing...ignition??has anybody had any wiring issues with these bikes? i'm not sure if the ignition coil may have gone.i went threw all the wiring and can't find anything that stands out as bad. help! i just missed a wicked day of riding!! dammit :nutkick:

·
Registered
546 Posts
It sounds like the problem is that the starter isn't turning when you hit the "start" button, right? No other problems that you can see? That is the dash stays powered up and there are no blinking lights or anything?

If so, did you double check that the kill switch isn't on? And how about the clutch interlock switch? If you disabled it, check that it is still disabled. If you didn't disable it, disable it now. (Search and you'll find threads with pictures or it's pretty obvious--needs to be shorted to start.)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what is the clutch interlock switch? i know there are 2 wires that come out of my clutch lever that got unplugged a few days before,i plugged them back in and everything seemed ok for a couple days before this happend. would i be able to bomb start the bike if that switch was f'd?... oh yeah kill switch isn't on. that would be funny as fock though ;) it has to be something stupid. i was sure it was gonna be a pinched wire somewhere

·
Registered
546 Posts
what is the clutch interlock switch? i know there are 2 wires that come out of my clutch lever that got unplugged a few days before,i plugged them back in and everything seemed ok for a couple days before this happend. would i be able to bomb start the bike if that switch was f'd?... oh yeah kill switch isn't on. that would be funny as fock though ;) it has to be something stupid. i was sure it was gonna be a pinched wire somewhere
The clutch interlock switch is a switch that makes you pull in the clutch lever before the starter can get power. If that matches your symptoms (I think it does) and it came unplugged a few days before, I would focus on that. Maybe it's a pinched wire or something completely different but at least make sure the clutch switch isn't the problem. (Lots of people disconnect that switch because it's a PITA and one more thing to go wrong.

There is no kickstand switch on the 450/510 so that's not it for sure.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
checked the fuses under the number plate? As i remember, there is also a fuse solely for the fuel pump too. Do you hear the relay click under the right side of the tank when you turn the key on? Are the dash lights blinking? Can you hear the fuel pump cycle? My bet is the cheap ass fuses that come on it factory.....throw them in the trash and replace with new ones:thumbup:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The clutch interlock switch is a switch that makes you pull in the clutch lever before the starter can get power. If that matches your symptoms (I think it does) and it came unplugged a few days before, I would focus on that. Maybe it's a pinched wire or something completely different but at least make sure the clutch switch isn't the problem. (Lots of people disconnect that switch because it's a PITA and one more thing to go wrong.

There is no kickstand switch on the 450/510 so that's not it for sure.
to disable the switch can i just ground the 2 wires to each other? i was wondering about that switch too because of it unplugging before. i'll fock with it tomorrow some more

·
Registered
546 Posts
to disable the switch can i just ground the 2 wires to each other? i was wondering about that switch too because of it unplugging before. i'll fock with it tomorrow some more
Yep. Some people cut the cable and twist the wires together. I made a shorting plug that plugs into the connector. Another common way is to take off the gas tank and farther down the wiring there are bullet connectors that you can just unplug from the wiring going to the handlebars and plug together to short it out.

You had asked if the bike could bump start without the clutch interlock switch. I think so but am not sure. But these bikes aren't the easiest to bump start.

Lots of people have had problems with the stock fuses and replacing them is a good idea but the symptoms don't match what you're seeing so I would bypass that interlock switch first and maybe even replace the fuses even if you get your bike running.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
perfect thanks alot! i'll try that today. fingers crossed. i wanna ride dammit! it's been 3 whole days, i'm starting to get the shakes lol like a crackhead without a rock ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nope, wasn't the problem. i was hopin it was but no luck.hmmm, i need a multimeter.would the tip/rollover sensor do this if it was f'd?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well,5 days sittin in my shop till i figure out it was a bad starter relay.she's alive! now if it would quit raining so i can go ride haha 5 blue blazer days while i can't ride haha looks like i'm gonna have to get wet.my shoulder still hurts a bit from the last time i was out in the rain. wet grass+husky=fun BUT speed+drift=highside haha glad i was on soft..ish ground.
thanks alot for the advice, i appreciate it.and anyone out there that has these problems....damn starter relay!!

ride on hooligans!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts