SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 Husky 450sm which I love dearly. The bike has had a serious factory malfunction which has altered my feelings for the bike. I'm looking into having Husky pay for the faulty rod bearing that broke. I'll probably be getting rid of it soon and have taken a look at the 690 smc. I want something with more power, an actual ignition with a key, and something more compatible for longer rides at higher speeds. My Husky is so awsome, I just need something more practical. How is the power deilivery, top speed, agility, and maintencance compared to the Husky? It seems this would be much more practical than the Husky. Is this the bike for me? Or can I expect the same reliability and buzzed out motor of the Husky?
Thanks
-Nick

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
My opinion may well be worthless, but......
I've never ridden the Husky and the only 690 I've ridden was the SM at a demo day.
That being said I was amazed by the 690 when I rode it. I expected it to be over weight and under powered. I had been test riding the 950's & 990's all day and was ready to be underwhelmed. I had no problem keeping up with the bigger bikes and could have stuffed them in virtually every corner had I wanted to. On the open highway I cruised along at 80MPH easily (I weight 225# + gear) in 5th gear since 6th felt more like an OD and lacked the instant throttle3 response I needed to keep up with the bigger bikes when they wicked it up.
Compared to my 560 it was indeed overweight but I could tell that they had similar DNA and I was completely at ease from the 1st turn. I could jump from one to the other with no difficulty and very little adjustment.
My 560 would eat the 690 for lunch racing but the 690 would definately be the better street bike. I would not hesitate to own or recommend a 690 to anyone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts