SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ran a Husky SMR510 on a full sized track (ie not a supermoto track) with sportbikes and the like? I've never ridden a 510 but it seems that it should have the power to run through the corners even if it is a bit slow down the straits, but is the gearing able to run at 70-100+mph without being at the redline?

Im thinking of Beaver Run in particular, if that matters at all. One looong strait and some high speed bends (70-100mph easy).

Im asking because Im thinking of buying one, and am wondering if it can run with the big bikes or if its a supermoto track only kind of bike. Ive seen the Ducati Hypermotard and bigger KTMs on the big track, but not a smaller bike. :bike:

·
Registered
116 Posts
The 510 tops out at about 100 with stock gearing. You could easily run it at a big track, but it wouldn't be as much fun as a sportbike IMO, because you would be wide open 100% of the time. It also depends on the track. I woudn't take my husky to say, Thunderhill (short and fast), but I would take it to Reno Fernley (long, but very technical).

·
Registered
401 Posts
Depending on your skill level and especially at BR, it should be fun :) I ran my KTM625 at Mid-Ohio last year in the advanced class and was easily mid-pack all day long (I've been roadracing for the last 10 years though) .... killed on the back straight but created quite a stir in the paddock as I was passing quite a few guys in the turns .... with BR being a smaller track, I think you'll have a blast .... just be careful at top speeds on the straight - sportbikes closing speeds are huge and they will gobble you up on hard braking as your entering that first turn but you can easily carry as much if not more entry speed which could lead to a very 'crowed' corner entry. The sportbike guys are not used to passing someone at corner entry and seeing them again before the exit (on a typical trackday) .... you'll have fun - convinced me to sell my race bike (CBR1000RR) after the first time :thumbup:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"with sportbikes'' ??? you must be joking... you'll get dusted.
Im not referring to racing against them, I mean trackdays where a variety of bikes run at the same time. Im not concerned with keeping up with the big bikes, Im more interested to know if the 510 can actually run (with higher gearing) at the speeds needed to have fun on a full size track. That is like 70-100+mph through the bends, the straits dont really thrill me, so I dont need to go 160 and then threshold brake into the next corner, I have a gsxr 750 that can manage that just fine.

·
Registered
401 Posts
OK - so you'll be amazed as I was after the first session .... with the experience you have on the gxr, keeping up with the 'pack' should not be an issue. As in my avatar, I was riding knee-down at Mid-Ohio and was fine .... there were other motards in the Intermediate sessions riding foot-out that were also having no problems ....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
.... you'll have fun - convinced me to sell my race bike (CBR1000RR) after the first time :thumbup:
You sold a racebike to run the motard only? hmmmm, thats interesting. I was actually planning to pick up another streetbike as well that is track only, but have been having hesitations for that very reason. I mean, if the motard can handle the track and is just as much fun, why have two bikes? Especially when one is parked in the garage most of the time and un-streetable. I can't even begin to explain how excited I am to run a motard on the street, the morning commute will be a hell of a lot more fun than it is in the winter!

Maybe its best to just get the Husky and run it on the track, then decide. What tires do you run? 120 and 160 SV size DOT race? Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
401 Posts
lol .... my experience - having roadraced and having every imaginable bike (used to race Ducati's) over the years, I can sum it up this way ..... I had my CBR (over $20 invested) and my KTM at Mid-Ohio .... rode the CBR then the KTM - never rode my CBR again!!! Just soooo much less 'work' to go fast in the corners and it convinced me that my 'need for speed' really wasn't a need after all ... could have been caused by burn-out, age, whatever but it just wasn't as much fun anymore when riding back to back .... I was actually running Metzler M3's for trackdays on the KTM (with warmers) and they were perfect (120/160) .... AND I actually sold the 625 and bought the 560SMR to occasionally race with ESMRA and do trackdays this year. To each his own but I can tell you a supermoto bike is just fun (period) .... do I miss having a sportbike - sometimes but all I do is get on my 690 and all that just goes away :)
I also wouldn't disagree with the 'fun' factor of a sportbike on certain tracks over a motard - I am 40yrs old so that 'fun' factor has kinda gone away but for someone younger it is very hard to replace that feeling of 170mph on a straight to a 90degree turn and railing through with knee scraping the tarmac .....

·
Registered
317 Posts
You sold a racebike to run the motard only? hmmmm, thats interesting.
My DUC 996 has been collecting dust, since I took my KTM560SMR for some track days. I've been debating the whole selling it myself lately. And I honestly thought I'd never see the day of that, until I got my leg over a SM:arsenal.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input everyone. I think my plan is to pick up the Husky and run it at the track at the end of april to see how I like it. If all goes well then I'll just keep the one bike, if I decide to go back to a full size bike I'll be picking up a track only GSXR. We'll see what happens...

SMR here I come!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I'll have to admit that my RC51 is a freaking blast on tracks & my KTM 625smc actually is even more fun.

kinda fun having SB blast by you on a straight just to have them slow down for turn one & you don't have to & re pass them & speed away to build a gap on the rest of the turns.

I ran SM grovable (but didn't grove them) Dunlop slicks with 120/70/17 front & 170/60/17 rear with Tyre warmers.
ran them on the RR course & the SM track, & sometimes both on the same weekend since MMP has both tracks on site :thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts