SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would I trash a 510 if I used it as a three-day-a-week commuter? About 12 miles each way.

Thanks.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I think it depends on whether or not its high speed interstate/freeway stuff or not. Either way thats 75 miles a week and it doesnt seem like it would be that bad. I don't have my TE converted to SM mode yet so I can't approx what rpm's you'd be turning.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Backroads. It probably averages out to 45-mph stuff.

Basically, I want a supermoto and a more agile commuter than my bit fat pig of a touring bike. I don't want to convert my MX bike for a sumo, I'm not going to sell my touring bike, and I can only afford one more motorcycle (in terms of both money and garage space). I figured the 510 was a good compromise.

I'd consider the 610 or the 690 KTM when it's available, but I would rather have something I can race in either local sumo stuff or in the AHRMA sound of singles classes if it struck me as a good idea at the time.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've got a 50 mile back road commute round trip. Done it a few times and will do it at least 3 days a week once spring gets here.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Either to the 510 for your commute or go with the 690 SMC. I have a 510 and want a 690 SMC as a second bike for longer rides on the twisties.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I have a 510sm and it can handle commuting easily with no problems with a couple of changes. I`ve also done longer rides like 200 mile plus on the bike with no problems other than a sore ass. But over the last two years with the bike i`ve noticed a few things that could be improved.

To decrease revs on the highway just go to a 15T countershaft sprocket and it will run all day at 65-70mph. If your looking to go faster than 70-75mph for extended time on the highway go to a 16T.

For summer riding in hot weather i remove the radiator shrouds and the bike runs alot cooler and never overheats even in short periods of stopped traffic.

For me the headlight doesn`t put out enough light for riding more than 40mph at night, so a more to a better light is a must for alot of night riding.

A larger tank would be a big help because you`ll hit reserve between 60-70 miles.

A couple of other little things like no keyed ignition and no locking fuel cap should be addressed if you don`t have a secure parking spot for your 510.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Yea u will be fine! the 690 is much more money than the 510 too soo....

·
Registered
304 Posts
+1 CS, I run a 55w H-4 and 270W stator for electric heated clothing, 3.9 IMS and Renazco seat, cruise at 70 all day and comfortable too. 12 miles it'll just be warming up, I commute 25 ecah way, 1/2 highway, all good. 4k miles.

·
Registered
86 Posts
When weather permits I commute on my TE510 back & forth to work, 30 miles each way, 75% secondary highway (55 mph average) I've regeared to 15\48 from the factory 13\50.
@ 60 mph I'm revving about 5700 rpm. no issues, my butt took a couple weeks till I got used to the seat.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I put the 15T counter on and it will handle a 15mile commute no problem...I have done it quite a bit and its no big deal, prepare to do some oil changes though

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That all good to hear. I think I'll lean toward the 510. I was worried these things wouldn't take a lot of road miles, but it sounds like that isn't the case.

I hear you, drzdemon, on the 690. I'd take either the Enduro or SMC, but they're a lot more money and really couldn't double as a race bike.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I commute om my 510 about same amount of miles your wanting to do,and also 3 days a week,back roads all the way with few short blasts,had no problems upto now,and usually change me oil/filter about 6-800 miles,inbetween services.Running 16/43 sprockets,but still gets snatchy when doing the slow islands,behind traffic.Tops about 85mph according to my speedo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts