SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 06 Husky SM 610 that I bought from the original owner with 1900 miles, it now has 4900 miles and during my owner ship I did 2 oil changes.

Recently at about 4000miles my clutch cable has ripped on me while I was at a red light, it cough me off guard... it was a hard stall and I was like wtf! did I just get hit in the back?

Well after I fixed my clutch cable and re adjusted the friction zone to what it was before, I noticed that the bike sometimes shifts hard!

By shifting hard i mean its hard to pull up on the shift lever with your foot and also when shifting from neutral to 1st the engagement seems hard, like it hits slightly.... I have tried adjusting the clutch but it is already set more then en enough...

This happens intermittently, sometimes its normal some times hard.

This is my first motorocycle and Im a new rider, so I dont think I rode it to hard.
I pull in the clutch all the way when up and down shifting.

I noticed that I do alot of engine breaking, and I am wondering if that is wearing out the clutch/gears...

Any suggestions, info for me?

Things to check?

By the way, I LOVE THIS BIKE, the power is amazing, its so light! I am very happy I chose this bike as my first bike, I have been permanently spoiled!!! :)
The sound is amazing!!!!!!! Best $4,000 I have ever spent...

·
Registered
685 Posts
On my '06 I observe the same thing, about 1000 miles after an oil change it gets tougher to find neutral, then harder to find second. Change the oil and it goes away, easy shifting again.
I think you need to change the oil more frequently than every 2k. And watch that clutch cable.
I agree that is is one sweet bike.

·
Registered
581 Posts
There are some words from George at Uptite about the clutch -- look about 80% of the way to the bottom:

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/sudden-slack-in-clutch-lever.19101/page-2

If you adjust the clutch so that it is easy to find neutral when stopped then you are likely putting constant pressure on the actuator arm and also the ball at the end of the pushrod. My actuator arm failed and others have had the same issue. I don't know if cable adjustment was the root cause or not. I now have mine adjusted with a fair amount of free play (3/8-1/2 inch at the clutch lever ball end). It shifts fine, and finding neutral is not too bad -- find neutral as you coast to a stop, or rev the engine slightly when stopped. The bike is basically hard to find neutral in.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Actually you can shift the bike without clutch pretty easily if you let go of the throttle.. I rarely use the clutch for shifting, so clutch cable adjustment might not be the problem.

·
Registered
176 Posts
My last oil change was about 1000km ago. Before and after is the same as regards gear changing for me - sometimes a pig and others not.
It seems the difference is the temperature of the engine; when it's really warmed up (been riding for a good while), it is usually easier to change and to find neutral.
But not always :hmmm:

Well done on for purchasing such a beast as your first big bike! Looks good.

Just buy some proper boots and it's easier to stomp! ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 06 Husky SM 610 that I bought from the original owner with 1900 miles, it now has 4900 miles and during my owner ship I did 2 oil changes.

Recently at about 4000miles my clutch cable has ripped on me while I was at a red light, it cough me off guard... it was a hard stall and I was like wtf! did I just get hit in the back?

Well after I fixed my clutch cable and re adjusted the friction zone to what it was before, I noticed that the bike sometimes shifts hard!

By shifting hard i mean its hard to pull up on the shift lever with your foot and also when shifting from neutral to 1st the engagement seems hard, like it hits slightly.... I have tried adjusting the clutch but it is already set more then en enough...

This happens intermittently, sometimes its normal some times hard.

This is my first motorocycle and Im a new rider, so I dont think I rode it to hard.
I pull in the clutch all the way when up and down shifting.

I noticed that I do alot of engine breaking, and I am wondering if that is wearing out the clutch/gears...

Any suggestions, info for me?

Things to check?

By the way, I LOVE THIS BIKE, the power is amazing, its so light! I am very happy I chose this bike as my first bike, I have been permanently spoiled!!! :)
The sound is amazing!!!!!!! Best $4,000 I have ever spent...

I have the same bike and they really dont have enough info or after market parts. But the power is amazing

1 - 10 of 10 Posts