SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, just finished freshening up my husky a little. no motor work, but wanted to customize it a little.
so i took the bike apart with the intention of painting the frame and a few random bits and doing a super deep clean. but once it was all apart i kept thinking of things i wanted to do... one thing led to another and i think i did more than i expected haha
here a list:
-painted frame, crowns, pegs, foot brake, kickstand, swingarm
-custom shortened swingarm
-chopped stock exhaust
-heat wrap
-new bars
-new plastics
-modified electrical (easy plug and eliminated start and stop switch, they are now the horn and flasher haha)
- hyde racing Teflon skid plate
-re-rout breather hose

anyway here are pics!

the start of the tear down

the REBUILD 001 by jamesschimmel1, on Flickr

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

the REBUILD 017 by jamesschimmel1, on Flickr

the REBUILD 026 by jamesschimmel1, on Flickr
tear down complete.....
wait for parts to come back from powder coat....

rebuild!

the REBUILD 046 by jamesschimmel1, on Flickr

short swingarm! i love this mod! have a guy in Santa cruz who builds motorcycle frames for ZERO motorcycle (new electric bike brand) and also does custom jobs.

the REBUILD 055 by jamesschimmel1, on Flickr

i think it looks pretty nice :rolleyes:

the REBUILD 069 by jamesschimmel1, on Flickr

and in black

IPOD AGAIN 017 by jamesschimmel1, on Flickr

IPOD AGAIN 020 by jamesschimmel1, on Flickr

lack of buttons!

the REBUILD 061 by jamesschimmel1, on Flickr

·
Registered
185 Posts
Love the bike. It looks great in black. I just bought a Te250 and I am wanting for my sumo wheels to come in. Ill post picks off the swap. Any detals on cutting the muffler?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys!

cutting the exhaust was actually pretty easy. you have to drill out the rivets so you can take both end caps off. then just cut the pipe and the inner baffle to the same length. rivet it back together and your done!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
please post more details on the shortened swingarm!!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
can someone explain what the shortened swingarm does?

Shortened swing arm will give you shorter wheelbase. That makes for better handling. And easier wheelies haha but handling is the real benefit.:thumbup:

I believe the newer husky smr's come with factory short arms, you can also buy them but they cost $$$$$

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
please post more details on the shortened swingarm!!

so for the swing arm, i took it to a local shop to be done. the welds at the back of the arm by the axle were cut. i guess the area where your wheel mounts and is adjustable is all one big piece that slides into the arm. then the arm was shortened and the slide put back in and welded in place. then the mounts for the chain guide and brake had to be moved forward as well.

the only part that wasnt taken into account was the length of the chain adjuster bolt. when i put in all back together the bottomed out and go jammed. i had to get new shorter bolts.

here is the new weld

swing arm mod 001 by jamesschimmel1, on Flickr

and with the mud flap folded back here is how much space is left. never gonna fit a dirt rim again! lol

swing arm mod 002 by jamesschimmel1, on Flickr

im really happy with the results. plus the guy who did it was super affordable. im not really sure what most people pay for this mod but i thought he was good.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
would you mind posting up the name of the shop and the price for the job? or you can send me a pm :thumbup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts