SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to these forums but a long time supermoto fan and rider.

Has anyone heard of or knows of anyone riding a new FS 450 street legal as my local dealer (in the UAE) has told me he can get them in ready to road ride but I was wondering if this one is just too race tuned to be street friendly. I've owned plenty of huskys before 03 125, 04 450 and a 07 510 but i'm completely struggling to find any info on the new FS 450 been ridding on road and i'm worried about the servicing / maintenance.

Any info would be appreciated!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Honestly, i would find another model that has the same motor or very similar and use their street maintenance schedule.. I was told the same when i bought my 2007 KTM 450exc Seven Days model that i would be changing the oil everytime i take it out to ride or adjusting the valves... well rode it out to 1k oil interval and sent the oil in for analysis and they said it was literally like brand new oil with no signs of wear in it.. so i will be changing the oil every 2,000 miles instead of the 300 miles or 10hrs listed in the manual... I have checked the valves 4 times since i bought this bike out of fear from others and every single time the valves were dead on within specs needing nothing done to them.. So i am waiting for 2,000 miles to go by before checking them again... There is a member over on ThumperTalk that has an 2007 450exc that he rides in Alaska with Dual Sport tires on the Dirt Rims and he changes his oil every 3k and adjusted the valve every 5k since he bought it new and the engine has 23k miles on it now and runs perfectly.. he is the one that told me to stop using expensive oil and use Rotella T6 for my bike and i have and enjoy the savings in my pocket.. If i would change the oil and check the valves as much as the manual said i would be out of pocket HUNDREDS of dollars already.....remember a bike designed for race specs has a maintenance schedule setup for being driven for RACING ONLY, so street riding does not fall into that category

·
Registered
305 Posts
It's a racebike with racebike maintenance, also how are you going to run lights on it? I say convert a FE501
So are crf450r and people ride those on the road all the time. A racebike doesn't need racebike matntenance if it's not being raced all the time. Sure it's not meant to be running down the freeway at 80mph for 30 minutes but if you're riding around the city and the occasional track day, I see nothing wrong with it (except the unfair advantage of having an FS450 cause it's the best bike). I'd buy one for the city with the occasional 20 min trip on the freeway at 65-70 and guarantee nothing happens to the motor (if you change oil every 10-15 and keep an eye on valves).

Mounting lights, isn't hard.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts