SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, im looking to buy my first supermoto bike. at first i was looking at the drz-400 but i realized that's baby stuff and decided to go all in. i can either pick up the 2007 for 5000$ or i can get the 2009 for 5800$. money is not the issue but if i dont need to throw away extra money i would rather not. both bikes a dealer demo bikes with about 300 miles. would the 09 be worth the extra money. I also heard something on another thread about fuel injection in the later years. someone, please clear this up for me.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
1st off...don't discount the DRZ. It is really good for what it was built for, a great entry level supermoto bike with a ton of aftermarket goodies and peer support. There are 1,000's of folks on here with them and they swear by them. I used to have one and really loved it. I did step up and get a Husky 510 after having the dizzer for 1 1/2 years. That being said......If you are used to working on carbed bikes, i would get the 2007. If you have no experience with working on bikes, get the EFI'ed 2009 model. I had a few quirks with my EFI'ed 2008 510 and for a while, I wished I had bought a 2007 model, but after those minor issues were resolved, it runs like a caged ape now:D I change the oil on mine every 300 miles, valave checks every other (haven't moved) currently have 1,7XX miles on mine. Good bike, ride the piss out of it, but take care of it and it will (should) last.......

-My 2 cents

·
Registered
349 Posts
in the UK we have slightly different modelsm but same think

08-11 are fuel injection
05-07 are carb'd

Can depend a lot on personal preference between the 2 as to which you go for.

I think the FI bikes have a little more bhp.

I've got a Carb'd bike personally.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
09... the models have just got better its efi and the residual value will be better on the 09 too

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just one more quick question, will i be able to put 100-200 miles in a riding day on this bike without having problems?

·
Registered
349 Posts
just one more quick question, will i be able to put 100-200 miles in a riding day on this bike without having problems?
Apart from a hole in your wallet and a hole in your arse :) no problems at all.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
why a whole in my wallet? do you think long rides like these will damage the mechanics of the bike??

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
This bike is plenty capable for the long ride, it's your ass that won't be. If you buy the Husky, you might want to look at a softer seat. I put 200 miles on mine the first day I owned it.:D

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
As long as you are not doing long highway jaunts, 200 miles in a day on the Husky is no problem. Just keep up with the maintenance and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
EFI's seem to have a bit more snap. I'd go '09 for the sexy twice pipes. I have almost 10k on my '08 450, and it's been near mechanically perfect. I had a tip over switch die, and just recently the turn signals stopped working, but other than the electrical issues, it's been excellent.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
my only concern is on weekends i'd like to be able to ride with sport-bike riders for a short highway ride and then through the twisties, i really dont want to have to worry about over stressing the engine by going 70-85mph for 20-30 min and then 40-60mph for an hour or so, and then back. i feel like these are race bikes and i might not be making the right choice for what im looking to do. although the looks, preformance and bike weight are very attractive.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
i really dont want to have to worry about over stressing the engine by going 70-85mph for 20-30 min
These bikes simply cant do that, I wouldnt even do that on a KTM 690 or Husky 630. For that you would need a larger bike like the Ducati Hypermotard or Aprilia Dorsoduro.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Early fall this year, I rode almost 50 miles (one way) to do an all day ride with a couple guys on here. I had to take the highway as it was the quickest way down. 60-70 for miles on end is doable. More then 70 for any stretch longer then 3 miles :headshake. That being said, I did a couple full tuck wide open 6th gear runs, but never more than a mile at a clip.

Skip the highway if you can.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
would the drz 400 be able to handle these types of runs or is this the SM standard
I doubt it. When I rode a DRZ with a pipe and jet kit it only wen 94 mph on my GPS.
I just dont see any single cylinder bike holding 70-85 mph highway speeds for long periods of time.
Just not what it was meant to do.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
standard gearing on the 690 smc will get you 77ish mph at 5k revs and is pretty good
i dropped a tooth and i now do 71mph at 5k revs and i do runs of 20 mins on the freeway sometimes... but i do wind it up and slow down frequently as i dont like to run my bike at high constant revs for a long period of time... but thats just me and 5k isnt that high :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts