SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi
for a long time I ve been searching for a supermoto which will make me excited.
I m gonna use it for my daily ride and some action on the road.
now, I m on two bikes after long long searches, KTM 640 Duke and Husa FS 650
I know, these two bikes can not be compared directly, but I m thinking about their advantages and disadvantages for my situation.
first of all, I love Husa and its professionality.I think its a real racers bike.beringer front brakes, brembo rear brakes, behr rims, magura accessories...and a very "hot" engine power.some says "It s a race bike with a lisence plate". I think that's correct. I want it so much. But...
In my country (Turkey), husa dealers are not so well organised. for many years passed, there was no dealer for husa till 2 years ago.
so I m afraid of spare parts. new dealer says there will be no problem after now.
second confusion in my head; for '04 earlier models of husa, some says there are chronic problems for example rocker arm issues, starter motor problems or hot starting problems..in those models, "dellorto" carbs were used and on the bike which I found, there is a keihin fcr replaced with dellorto. most says fcr is very good for that bike. fcr makes the bike more powerful and no starting problems (especially warm engine start ups).it s not a problem for me the electric starter not to operate, I m ready to kick it:)
husa also have hourly maintenances but that s not a problem for me either..
now lets look at the KTM,
I think about KTM Duke 2 because of its easiliy found spares and dealers..also its a good bike but it s not a hooligan like husa.
and, it has passenger foot pegs:) I can ride it as a daily bike especially with passenger...
it is much more easier to buy or sell a KTM than a Husa in Turkey..Husa is not known as well as KTM, but I m not a investor.I m a hooligan rider:)
I dont really know if there is any chronic problems about KTM 640 engine
does it have any known issues??
if you were me, which one would you choose and more important WHY??
thanks for your help..

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I almost pulled the trigger on an '05 Husa. I heard the same about pre '05 models having some issues. I think the Husa is one bad ass bike. The KTM would be a good second bike:D

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
The old saying "You can't have the best of both worlds" applies here. You already know the Berg will be much funner to ride, hands down. You've done some research and know the KTM would make a better daily rider and still fun, just nothing like the Berg.

It's a tough call. If it's a bike for purpose, like transportation to work, I would lean toward the KTM. If you just want a toy and don't mind frequent maint. intervals, go for the Berg.

One bike is hard to fill different roles.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have had both. The berg is not suited for riding in traffic, waiting at lights etc. You have to keep the clutch in half the time your on it. in my opinion you are either getting your arms ripped of or your going over the bars (engine breaking) GREAT dirt bike but not relaxing.

The Duke ll, is a great all around crusir weighs 50+ lbs more can ride father and longer. Engine holds more oil (longer between oil changes (unless you ride in the dirt). Earlier models had a little more vibration that the newer ones.

Both bikes aren't designed to ride on the freeway (in America) as 80mph feels like your bike is pretty reved out, and when you come up on vihicles the wind blows the bike around alot.

Duke= good all around town crusier (grocery geter) wheelie machine
Berg= great race bike if you feel like fighting a war every time you through a leg over. Not for a beginner. Good luck with your purchase.

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
it all boils down again to the racebike (husa) vs streetbike (duke) question.

if you know your bike is your only means of transportation and you will ride it very often then you do not buy a racebike to fill that requirement.

if you want a toy for the weekend, get the husa. if you want a bike to get you from point A to B almost daily, get the duke.

·
Registered
344 Posts
As the former owner of a Duke 2. I say GET THE BERG!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey guys
thanks for your all attention and help.:clap:
@critter
I m really curious about the reasons about your advice to not to buy the duke2
does it have some unexpected issues??

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi
for a long time I ve been searching for a supermoto which will make me excited.
I m gonna use it for my daily ride and some action on the road.
now, I m on two bikes after long long searches, KTM 640 Duke and Husa FS 650
I know, these two bikes can not be compared directly, but I m thinking about their advantages and disadvantages for my situation.
first of all, I love Husa and its professionality.I think its a real racers bike.beringer front brakes, brembo rear brakes, behr rims, magura accessories...and a very "hot" engine power.some says "It s a race bike with a lisence plate". I think that's correct. I want it so much. But...
In my country (Turkey), husa dealers are not so well organised. for many years passed, there was no dealer for husa till 2 years ago.
so I m afraid of spare parts. new dealer says there will be no problem after now.
second confusion in my head; for '04 earlier models of husa, some says there are chronic problems for example rocker arm issues, starter motor problems or hot starting problems..in those models, "dellorto" carbs were used and on the bike which I found, there is a keihin fcr replaced with dellorto. most says fcr is very good for that bike. fcr makes the bike more powerful and no starting problems (especially warm engine start ups).it s not a problem for me the electric starter not to operate, I m ready to kick it:)
husa also have hourly maintenances but that s not a problem for me either..
now lets look at the KTM,
I think about KTM Duke 2 because of its easiliy found spares and dealers..also its a good bike but it s not a hooligan like husa.
and, it has passenger foot pegs:) I can ride it as a daily bike especially with passenger...
it is much more easier to buy or sell a KTM than a Husa in Turkey..Husa is not known as well as KTM, but I m not a investor.I m a hooligan rider:)
I dont really know if there is any chronic problems about KTM 640 engine
does it have any known issues??
if you were me, which one would you choose and more important WHY??
thanks for your help..
I've owned both,Duke 2 was a huge disappointment,heavy and vibrated so bad I didn't ride it more than 20 miles at a time.Berg 650 was a blast,much lighter and more powerful.It didn't like putting around though ,you had to ride it hard to get the most out of it.The Berg needed a complete motor rebuild at about 130 hours,everything was worn out including crank,piston, cam chain tensioner etc etc.That was a bit spendy and after I rebuilt it I sold it.If you want to be a hooligan the Berg has to be the one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think you can always tell a bad bike when you first see it, check things like fluid leaks, forks and shocks, coolant condition and ask about service history. Then ride the thing

1 - 17 of 17 Posts