SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried clutching up 3rd for the first time today instead of 2nd. Little body English and it goes straight to bp. Not even wringing the he'll out of It either. 13:45 gearing.

·
Registered
408 Posts
about time :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I always popped it up in 2nd and shiftto 3rd or keep shifting to 5th. Just. Slip and a yank brought it up. This opens up more opportunities because I don't have to be leaving a light or slow down so much

·
Registered
408 Posts
yeah, third is my to-go gear for wheelies. :bannana:

·
Registered
107 Posts
something must be up with my bike or my skills lol cause i would have to rip the front wheel off the ground to get it up in 3rd sitting down.. and i have 13/44....

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Tried clutching up 3rd for the first time today instead of 2nd. Little body English and it goes straight to bp. Not even wringing the he'll out of It either. 13:45 gearing.
So could you explain your technique a little please? PLEASE?????

I know that we have no tachometer, but where abouts in the rev range (or speed) are starting your 3rd gear wheelie from?

I am beginning to think I'm trying this when I'm already to high in the revs.

Best I've ever managed to do in third gear is not even worth calling a wheelie. A bunny hop might even be pushing it.

Are you rolling off throttle to compress front suspension, Are you bouncing on the pegs?

Front pegs and sitting down you can do this in 3rd gear????

What's your "body english"??

I like the idea of a third gear wheelie because I feel our little X's are still not going "that" fast and the likelihood of looping would be a lot less than a first or second gear attempt gone wrong.

Please help the wheelie illiterate in the audience.

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I'm pretty curious about the body english too. Maybe VC can chime in, in his last vid, I noticed that it appears that he's standing at first, gives the bar a good yoink, and then (and this is the part that intrigues me) it appears like he jumps forward and sits very high up on the seat (near the tank).

oh, and I can't loft the front on my WR400 in 3rd, unless there's a serious crest in the road, and the conditions are "just right".

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I wasn't watching the speedo, but it's fairly low in the rpms. Theres almost a spot where it hits power and cleans up when you shortshift and just rolling on throttle, if that makes any sense?
Body English- I just scoot my ass backwards by pushing with my feet and give the bars a small yank at the same time. Not even yanking for heaven.
I can bounce it up standing on the front pegs in 3rd easy, 4rth with a good hard yank. And standing on the back pegs in 4rth easily. Passenger pegs in 5th, With a dangerously hard bounce, and super super hard yank, Can get to BP. Anywhere from 60-75mph on the speedo. (I know, my speedo is way off, just for reference)

·
Registered
435 Posts
@ lateral j& wr250x46 it can not be explained you have to know what your doing very well to get it up in a high gear. if you have to ask how then you need to get on your bike and feel the power spot to get it up in higher gears its all about power/timing/weight distribution:headshake! i can see this guy looping it hope not though...

once i tried to think about step by step how i wheelie, well at the time i was starting the wheelie nearly lost it because i was more focused on details of how to instead of paying attention to the wheelie i was doing at mach speed on my k7 gsrx 1000. your bike will wheelie that vid proved it. you are the missing link in the chain not the bike!

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'm pretty curious about the body english too. Maybe VC can chime in, in his last vid, I noticed that it appears that he's standing at first, gives the bar a good yoink, and then (and this is the part that intrigues me) it appears like he jumps forward and sits very high up on the seat (near the tank).

oh, and I can't loft the front on my WR400 in 3rd, unless there's a serious crest in the road, and the conditions are "just right".
Body language specifies to lean back as far as you can like if you where wheelieng a bicycle. Then instantly before you hit the power curve in the gear push down on the front forks. Crank the throttle and if youre in a high gear it will slowly come up and you just lean back and throttle accordingly cover your rear brake! If you feel like youre going to loose it hit the rear brake accordingly if your doing it to land the front instantly like you will do learning it can be violent! Also keep the bars straight or you will speed wobble and crash! stay leaned back or you will go over the bars when landing the front very hard/suddenly. .:hmmm:
Also dont be a tool dress to crash/break bones!

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't lean back the whole time. Just shift weight to get it up. I'm no pro. I did go close to 3 miles in 5 th on the back pegs once (buddy riding next to me watching the odometer) but usually just a couple hundred yards. I have my days. I Always cover the brake, unless my foot isn't on that peg. Never used it. There's plenty of engine braking on the x

·
Registered
435 Posts
i don't lean back the whole time. Just shift weight to get it up. I'm no pro. I did go close to 3 miles in 5 th on the back pegs once (buddy riding next to me watching the odometer) but usually just a couple hundred yards. I have my days. I always cover the brake, unless my foot isn't on that peg. Never used it. There's plenty of engine braking on the x
/
still drifting around?

·
Registered
435 Posts

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bang down a few gears and feed the clutch out slow so it doesn't lock up. I use a very small amount of rear brake to make it smoother. And alot of front brake

·
Registered
435 Posts
Bang down a few gears and feed the clutch out slow so it doesn't lock up. I use a very small amount of rear brake to make it smoother. And alot of front brake
when do you apply front brake? rear brake? i get the whole feeding the clutch part but im stuck on the brake issue...:headscrat

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just rest my foot on the brake during the slide. Gotta use the front to scrub off enough speed to make the corner. I tink a little before letting the clutch out. Ill have to go do it some more and really pay attention to what I do. I kinda just do it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts