SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has tried or is useing a front fender of a sportbike for their sumo. I find that at higer speeds that the front fender causes lift and alot of turbulance. I was thinking that if I put on a sport bike fender instead it might help. Also I think that I would like the look of this. And if you have done this what fenders would work, I dont mind doing some minor mods. Let me know what you think. BTW I ride a KTM 640 supermoto.

· Registered
204 Posts
interesting idea.. wouldn't it be worse for offroading any or gravel etc, rain, etc.... probably fly up in your face... i think thats where the higher fender comes from.. with street riding ONLY my newb opinion would be it would be fine, minusing the extra protection for elements.... ?

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the help, I will have to go to my local ktm dealer and see if I can order one of the dukes front fenders. I dont do much offroading, maybe just some hard packed dirt roads, so no worry there.

· Registered
307 Posts
I've got an older R6 fender on my XRR. I did it because I got tons of road spray with the SM fender on there. I ride the bike rain or shine, so that was unacceptable.

I was surprised at how much I had to cut the fender to get it to fit. Sportbike forks are considerably wider than dirt bike forks, so I ended up cutting probably 1.5 inches out of each side. Right now I just have it zip tied to the fork brace.

It works very well. No road spray, no flying gravel, no so-much-mud-in-the-face-I-can't-see-anything. It looks okay. I'm hoping to fab a more stylish one from fiberglass soon.

· Registered
111 Posts
The Honda SMF650 over in Europe use an intersting front fender setup.

They use a half fender high off the lower triple, and a full hugger sport type fender down low.

The only draw back to a low fender would be when off roading, mud accumulating on the tire and possibly ripping the fender off.

· Registered
307 Posts
Here's the work in progress. I don't have any pictures of the actual cuts, but as you can see I mounted the fender backwards so it would clear the fork guards.

I trimmed it up more since this picture and zipped it to the fender brace, so now it curves with the tire and sits a little higher. In reality, I think you could get away with a much smaller fender that would still be effective.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.