SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has tried or is useing a front fender of a sportbike for their sumo. I find that at higer speeds that the front fender causes lift and alot of turbulance. I was thinking that if I put on a sport bike fender instead it might help. Also I think that I would like the look of this. And if you have done this what fenders would work, I dont mind doing some minor mods. Let me know what you think. BTW I ride a KTM 640 supermoto.

·
Registered
204 Posts
interesting idea.. wouldn't it be worse for offroading any or gravel etc, rain, etc.... probably fly up in your face... i think thats where the higher fender comes from.. with street riding ONLY my newb opinion would be it would be fine, minusing the extra protection for elements.... ?

·
Registered
34 Posts
not sure if this will help and i dont know the part numbers but the new duke has the style fender you are refering to.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
The old dukes did too. Some bike out there, i forget which, comes with the hugger fender and the standard fender. It looks weird to say the least.

·
Registered
310 Posts
The old dukes did too. Some bike out there, i forget which, comes with the hugger fender and the standard fender. It looks weird to say the least.
Are you talking about the BMW R1200GS? I think the double fenders looks pretty decent.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
no it wasn't the bmw, that does look decent. It was one of the european high end $15,000+ supermotos that you can't pronounce the name of and we'll never see in the states (I believe)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the help, I will have to go to my local ktm dealer and see if I can order one of the dukes front fenders. I dont do much offroading, maybe just some hard packed dirt roads, so no worry there.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I've got an older R6 fender on my XRR. I did it because I got tons of road spray with the SM fender on there. I ride the bike rain or shine, so that was unacceptable.

I was surprised at how much I had to cut the fender to get it to fit. Sportbike forks are considerably wider than dirt bike forks, so I ended up cutting probably 1.5 inches out of each side. Right now I just have it zip tied to the fork brace.

It works very well. No road spray, no flying gravel, no so-much-mud-in-the-face-I-can't-see-anything. It looks okay. I'm hoping to fab a more stylish one from fiberglass soon.

·
Registered
97 Posts
rhythmofbeing, would you mind posting a few close up pics of your fender? i bought a R6 fender as well, but i haven't cut it yet. i'd like to see how you did yours.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The Honda SMF650 over in Europe use an intersting front fender setup.

They use a half fender high off the lower triple, and a full hugger sport type fender down low.

The only draw back to a low fender would be when off roading, mud accumulating on the tire and possibly ripping the fender off.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Here's the work in progress. I don't have any pictures of the actual cuts, but as you can see I mounted the fender backwards so it would clear the fork guards.

I trimmed it up more since this picture and zipped it to the fender brace, so now it curves with the tire and sits a little higher. In reality, I think you could get away with a much smaller fender that would still be effective.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
yes its that terra modena!!!! Thank you. On such an expensive bike it just doesnt look good. It might look and flow better if the top fender was pointed upward more instead of down.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts