1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ronwest99 said:
Entry will be limited to 40 riders...
ronwest99 said:
There will be 46 guys on the race track at one time and there are some very big ramifications to having that many guys at once.
ronwest99 said:
Sorry to be such a PIA about this, but that's the only way I can stay on top of our program there (managing semi-indepentably with the karting group only doubles the hassle)
I thought 40 was a lot, and now we're at 46. Does anyone else feel that this might be too many? I predict that mayhem will ensue, taking the fun out of it for many. I imagine that the starts will be totally hairball, even w/strong reminders that this is a "fun" event. The distance from the last turn to the start line is appx 1/2 of a city block. How many grid rows be lined up around the final turn? The distance from the start line to the 1st turn is the other half of that city block. Turn 1 will be bad enough, but what's gonna happen when we shove 46 guys into the 1st haybale chicane? Don't forget that there are at least 3 pre-teens in the mix. Also, the guys who are gridded up front and have a clear track will be into lappers before the race is half over.

I dunno if the karters will let us have any opportunity to modify the program. Based on Ron's last comment above, we might be totally locked into the current program. But here's my scheme for a safer event if it is possible to make changes:

1) Scrap the team race and shorten Saturday's practice. The team race would be fun, but we can make better use of the time available. Use that time to run two heats for each of the two classes (450 & Open), 23 guys in each heat.

2)The top dozen or so guys in each heat go to an A main on Sunday. The bottom dozen or so go to a B main.

3) Since it's too late to come up w/trophies for the B Mains, just let prize be that the the top 4 or 5 guys get to line up on the last row of the A main.

This way, everyone gets appx the same amount of track time they would w/the current schedule, and we wouldn't need to ask the karters for any more of their time. But there's only half the guys on track at any time, and that's still plenty to provide good racing for us and a good show for the crowd. Either way, I'm looking forward to this and plan on having fun.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts